My Black Friday Trip

Had a really good time this weekend. Rolled out west about 6 hours with a very diverse group. 6 of us ranging in age from 13 to 63 hunted Friday, Saturday, and a little SUnday morning before the rain took us out. Numbers and weather could have been better but could also be working! Day one started out pretty well. Young man got his first ever rooster off of a pretty point and honor by three dogs. My dad and buddy's father-in-law both got roosters before everyone else as well. Sort of takes the pressure off. We also had an event happen that I have never seen before. My 2 year old vizsla grabbed a squirrel off of the base of a tree, shook it a little, they both scrambled down into a creek, the squirrel grabbed hold of her nose, and I guess she didnt like that so she spit it out in the creek put a paw on it and drowned the thing! We called it the swamp squirrel. I've seen dogs kill em by shaking em but never by drowning. Didnt have to worry about shot in the meat! My principal here at school went with us, he saw the whole thing and couldnt stop talking about it. Did not see many pheasants. Maybe 20-30 per day. Mostly hens. But we did manage to scratch out a few. Saw 5-6 covies of quail per day, which kept us and the dogs busy while looking for the roosters. Most pheasants were in big crp grass fields. Not using the strips like I thought they would be in the warmer weather. But the food was good, beer was cold, and 3 days without TV was even better. This was all on public ground.

Had a really good time this weekend. Rolled out west about 6 hours with a very diverse group. 6 of us ranging in age from 13 to 63 hunted Friday, Saturday, and a little SUnday morning before the rain took us out. Numbers and weather could have been better but could also be working! Day one started out pretty well. Young man got his first ever rooster off of a pretty point and honor by three dogs. My dad and buddy's father-in-law both got roosters before everyone else as well. Sort of takes the pressure off. We also had an event happen that I have never seen before. My 2 year old vizsla grabbed a squirrel off of the base of a tree, shook it a little, they both scrambled down into a creek, the squirrel grabbed hold of her nose, and I guess she didnt like that so she spit it out in the creek put a paw on it and drowned the thing! We called it the swamp squirrel. I've seen dogs kill em by shaking em but never by drowning. Didnt have to worry about shot in the meat! My principal here at school went with us, he saw the whole thing and couldnt stop talking about it. Did not see many pheasants. Maybe 20-30 per day. Mostly hens. But we did manage to scratch out a few. Saw 5-6 covies of quail per day, which kept us and the dogs busy while looking for the roosters. Most pheasants were in big crp grass fields. Not using the strips like I thought they would be in the warmer weather. But the food was good, beer was cold, and 3 days without TV was even better. This was all on public ground.

Nice job getting the young guy on one. Oh and I like the Twins hat :thumbsup:

Nice pictures!! The story about the squirrel had me laughing!! Keep up the great work! I'm new to pheasant hunting, and I can't wait to get out in the fields!:thumbsup:

Now I think we need to talk about James and all this cold beer! Hmmmm!!! Love the swamp squirrel. Reminds me of the rolling pin possum. My old dog pointed in some matted down annual weed stalks. I stomped the life out of that clump trying to get the "rooster" to flush. After about 15 minutes of the dog circling the clump pointing and me wearing 3 months life out of some expensive boots, a possum that looked like it had had a bad encounter with a major rolling pin came staggering out and ambled off as I held the dog to allow the same! :) Then there was the "Run Forrest Run" skunk! Another day. Glad you had a decent trip. I think some weather and moisture will help things a bit!

Now I think we need to talk about James and all this cold beer! Hmmmm!!! Love the swamp squirrel. Reminds me of the rolling pin possum. My old dog pointed in some matted down annual weed stalks. I stomped the life out of that clump trying to get the "rooster" to flush. After about 15 minutes of the dog circling the clump pointing and me wearing 3 months life out of some expensive boots, a possum that looked like it had had a bad encounter with a major rolling pin came staggering out and ambled off as I held the dog to allow the same! :) Then there was the "Run Forrest Run" skunk! Another day. Glad you had a decent trip. I think some weather and moisture will help things a bit!

Haha!! Yeah James had to settle for Root Beer! This spot in Kansas always produces entertainment. Last year we had the fullback coyote. Dog hit him like a fullback and rolled him. Then he got up and turned on the afterburners and was gone pretty quick! And yes, weather will be a huge help. Just keep it under 45 for one day.

Good stuff and great pics... I looked at your pics first b4 reading and was going ask you why you were holding that rat! But that is a great story... ;)

Back