Mowing Trails

cyclonenation10

I'm not sure if this has been discussed before, but was curious if there was any research out there on the impacts of mowing trails/firebreaks on pheasants? On our property, we mow around the edges of our crp, between the crp and food plots, and there are a few trails running through the CRP. Most of it is used by the family and friends for riding ATVs, etc. Will this have any meaningful impact on pheasants, particularly with regard to nesting success? Does a 7-8 foot mowed trail do enough to "fragment" nesting cover to make it easier for predators to hunt and such? Just wondering if this is something we should reconsider or if the the consequences are negligible?

Thanks!

Our's doesn't allow any mowing, As the contract for our filter strips & our CP-38 states: "Mowing for cosmetic purposes is not allowed at any time." We do have 2 arces of shurbs that we mow the area between those to keep them ahead of the surrounding vegetation. I am thinking that some of these areas (as Cy referred to) would be beneficial....it will give chicks easy areas to navigate, I would not do any more thant the mower width, so the chicks would have quick escape as needed.. Cy, what program are you enrolled in? Betting those trails will show-up satellite images. Go see if the trails are evident on the current satellite pics they publish.

https://websoilsurvey.sc.egov.usda.gov/App/WebSoilSurvey.aspx

Back