Moving to Wisconsin question

Little Brit

Family might be moving to Wisconsin from Ontario, Canada. Is my current Canadian hunting Lic. valid for the US or do I need to take US test to get hunting Lic. or just transfer to US. Any ideas

There's not a test to get a WI hunting Lic but your CAN license will most definitely not be valid. You will need to prove whether youre a WI resident or not.

Although there is a grandfather provision, you may be required to take a hunters safety class in order to get a license here.

Yeah I know my Canadian Lic will not be valid but since I took my hunting course here in Canada 17 years ago will that be good to get a WI Lic. or would I need to take a test. You would think it be the same besides seasons and opening days. A mallard is a mallard in USA or in Canada lol. I`m hoping we don't move but just in case I`ve seen a few nice properties for sale. Thanks for you help guys I`ll have more questions for sure EH.....haha

In Canada you need to take a 3 day course on hunting and firearms. Then you take a written test if you pass that you take a practical test on gun safety. This course is $350 and is good for a life time as long as you renew it every 5 years.

Here you go from the wdnr live chat with an agent feature. Looks like you just need to show them proof and you're good to go.

Caitlin:

Good evening, Adam. What can I help you with?

Adam :

If a person took hunters safety in Ontario Canada 17 years ago are they good to go in Wi?

Caitlin:

One moment while I look into this for you.

Caitlin:

Yes, we can accept hunter safety from Canada. You will need to bring a copy of your certificate with you when purchasing your license.

Adam :

thanks!!

Last edited:
Thanks for the help guys. If we do move it wont be right in Racine, probably more on the out skirts of it. My wife's office is in Racine. I've been looking between Madison and Racine areas.

As far as I know, no test for over ?18 or 21? for hunting license. If DNR guy said they'd accept hunt test from Canada, might be referring to requirement of CCW license, which requires a hunter safety class, or CCW class.

But for sports hunting, just residency for lower-fee license. Non-residents get bitten hard for their licenses.

Welcome if you come on down. Great place to live in the countryside.

Thanks a lot Kismet. We will see what happens soon but if no move now we will be in a year or so. How is the duck hunting and upland hunting.

Anyone born after a certain date (it's sometime in the 70's if I remember right) needs a hunter safety. 18 or 21 has nothing to do with it. Doesn't much matter though because your Canadian class is good enough and you don't have to renew it. I'd guess if you wanted a concealed carry license you could use the Canadian class for that too.

The upland hunting is good enough to keep a guy busy. Wisconsin is a destination state for ruffed grouse and woodcock. Might even be the top state for grouse but that's all further north than Racine. The state releases a ton of pheasants and once a guy learns how to work certain areas killing the state released birds becomes really easy. It can be a little crazy with other hunters though. Despite what is written on the internet we have some pretty good pockets of wild pheasants but it takes a lot of work to find and kill them.

There is a lot of ducks in Wi but a ton of hunters too. If you find ducks on public land you'll be competing with other hunters for the most part at least in the southern part of the state. I have had some success on small out of the way spots jump shooting mallards and wood ducks though.

Wisturkeyhunter that sounds pretty much like Ontario. We have release programs for pheasant in some areas which is fun. We did have a good population of wild birds about 15 years ago but few and far between now. Our grouse hunting is great further north they are like chickens good for the dog to get pointing. South they are harder to find and way smarter. You would be lucky to see one or two a day, but you need to get walking and get dirty. Our Woodcock migration is good if you hit the spots on the right days along with duck and geese we get some good numbers migrating through but also many hunters on public land but as long as you keep your distance from each other its not bad (kinda funny hearing everyone call in ducks or try to lol). Well thanks again for the help.

Oh...
and feast your eyes and mind on Horicon Marsh. It existed, been drained, and was reestablished ...er...maybe 35 years ago. (google it)

There are selective sites for goose hunting, and plenty of landowners who rent blinds, as well as quite a few who will allow, with permission, hunting on their lands.

I'm away from the flyway, in the western part of the state, so most of the serious waterfowl hunters head to the Mississippi. It IS a flyway, so let your mind dwell on that for a bit.

Whatever happens, best wishes.

Back