Most Unusual Double

I got one from about 20 years ago. Two dogs went on point about 20 yards apart. Walked into the first dog and two roosters jumped up and I shot one and missed the other. On the shot a covey of quail got up in front of the other dog and I quickly reloaded and shot one of the late rising birds. Was standing there empty and a flock of prairie chickens had gotten up from the milo and flew directly over my head. I realized what they were and quickly reloaded and proceeded to miss with both barrels!

Was in southern Iowa in the 80's had a bunch of pheasants scattered. Had a point in the woods. Walked in and within a few seconds a couple hens, a covey of quail and a Turkey got up. Never fired a shot just watched with my mouth open. My buddy looked at me and said wow what a rise. Makes me want to move to Iowa!

In the early 80 s I was hunting around a small pond that had some brush and cattails, my Brittany points a pheasant , I drop him in the water at the shot a teal gets up down he goes , and them he points a covey of Quail gets up I drop one over the water , all three retrieved to hand by my Britt . This was when you could still use lead on private ground .
Bound to have something unusual happen in over 45 years of Upland hunting .

Not really a double flush but weird. My brother and I pulled into a spot, dumped the dogs out and while we were getting our guns out, the dogs ran out into a field to a small dozer pile maybe 30 yards out in the field and pointed. We hurried out and flushed a nice covey from the edge of the dozer pile. We dropped some birds, don't remember how many. Keep in mind that the dogs had beeper collars on and were fresh out of the box so lots of calling dogs running crazy after the flush. Once we got the birds picked up, the dogs took off. Now we were just talking normal about where the covey went and how we were going to hunt them. All of a sudden, a huge buck jumped up within a few feet of us and took off in the opposite direction the dogs went! He had laid there watching through several shots, dogs running around him and shouting!

Early to mid-90's, pre-bulldozer/excavator era, my cousin and I were hunting while a heavy snow was falling. . We were walking a thick fenceline in the middle of a section. We did not have a dog, but the birds were thick back then. We came upon a wider cane patch in the fenceline, and fresh pheasant tracks were everywhere. As the cover narrowed, birds started getting up in small groups. In the middle of all the shooting, two coyotes came out my way. I gave one both barrels, and rolled him hard. Couldn't get the O/U reloaded before he made it down the hill into the creek. Come to find out another one had made its way out my cousin's side of the fence, his pump was empty at the time. I think we got 3 roosters out of that mess before the coyotes broke loose.

Kind of a double this year while dove hunting w/my 4 month old SM I shot a dove and it went down in a bogy area , I walked Bruno to where I saw it fall and let him work. About 10 sec later he dives in some weeds and pulls out a muskrat (that he just killed) I took it from him and sent him back in...........sure enough out he comes with the dove....true story.

OK, not a double story, but it deals with 2 parts and it happened twice. The first time I was hunting with a group of 4 of us. My buddy's boy was with me on one side of the waterway, a rooster flushes and we shoot pretty much simultaneously. I watched it happen, the boy picks up a headless bird, he didn't notice the head fly off. The second time I was with a high school buddy hunting one of our farms where we had just started some habitat, this time, only I shot and the bird came down as his head when a different direction. Both of these were over 10 years ago, I think I would now let the pattern open a bit...mostly due to my reflexes are likely a bit slower now. A bit off topic.

OK, not a double story, but it deals with 2 parts and it happened twice. The first time I was hunting with a group of 4 of us. My buddy's boy was with me on one side of the waterway, a rooster flushes and we shoot pretty much simultaneously. I watched it happen, the boy picks up a headless bird, he didn't notice the head fly off. The second time I was with a high school buddy hunting one of our farms where we had just started some habitat, this time, only I shot and the bird came down as his head when a different direction. Both of these were over 10 years ago, I think I would now let the pattern open a bit...mostly due to my reflexes are likely a bit slower now. A bit off topic.
years ago layout hunting I shot a nice drake goldeneye , when my brother in-law picked it up he drove past me in the layout boat........the duck was headless , but did have a band on it , it was 14 yrs old.

Not a 'true' double species...but when I was living in Iowa in the late 90's I hunted up to a creek bed for pheasants. When I topped the bank a pair of gadwall flushed. Took the first duck, swung on the second...at my 2nd shot a rooster flushed about 5 yards to my right. I was able to turn and take him to.

Years ago when Huns were common here , I shot a rooster and then swung on partridge that flushed at the shot. Dropped 2 huns. Hunted down to the 1/2 mile fence and flushed the covey of huns 3 of us fired dropping 4 birds and you guessed it , we got a couple roosters that flushed from the fence line with the commotion.

I shot three quail on the rise with my sxs 28 once. Didn't know I did until my dog brought me the third. One of the coolest wildlife things I saw was when I was squirrel hunting next to a clearcut in the Hoosier Nat. Forest. I saw movement and went into the clearcut to investigate. The movement was a blue Jay and a squirrel fighting, So I just sat and watched. As I'm watching a deer winded me and snorted a few yards away. The blue Jay won, and the squirrel booked, so I got up and took a few steps when I hear something flopping. I look over and can just see two turkeys flogging each other. I can only see them when they jump up. I'm 30' farther and a grouse gets up. I'm dumbfounded at all that wildlife within a 30-yard circle. Latter I ran into a couple foresters and was telling them about it and complaining about the Nat. Forrest was giving up on the clearcutting. They told me that the people who were lobbying to stop the program only cared about the trees. Now 30 years latter they are creating '' WILDLIFE OPENINGS". I guess the name change sounds better! Like the inflation reduction act. :LOL: Money talks, lots of it in turkey licenses. Way too late for the grouse.

Back