Most Embarrassing Moment

bobeyerite

Tells us what is your worse or most embarrassing with your friends in the field. This is for laughs so make it light.

I was hunting with my uncle in Northern Minnesota. The cover was cranberry bog with a stream running through the area. I was wearing rubber barn boots because at times the bog got deep and wet. We soon discovered the birds were not in the bog but on the little bulrush islands in the stream. So I went into the stream with my Brittany and we went from island to island. As I stepped onto the one island a Rooster came straight up, hit me squarely on the chin. I fell backwards totally off balance and landed on my butt, in the stream. I fired two shots from my hip as I was sitting there in the water and I missed. My uncle was laughing so hard he couldn't shoot. He kept teasing me that was the first time he seen a man cold-cocked by a pheasant.---Bob

:thumbsup::D:laugh: Too bad no video Bob, I saw a friend of mine try to jump a creek about 6 feet wide in the bottom of a dredge ditch as we were sneeking up on a flock of honkers and he landed with both feet stuck in the mud on the other side. He proceeded to do the arm twirl and then a full back flop in the water with out being able to move his feet.Then of corse I was laughing my @%$$ off as the green duck weed finished covering his face the last thing to go under. It was like slow motion. And to add to it it was about 15 degrees out and all his clothes were froze stiff as a board on the way to the truck, he could hardly get in.
Me I got nothing, nope never a embarassing moment nope never. :D
Great post Bob I will be chuckling all night now remembering these.

my most embarrasing moments there are 2 they happened the same day me and my 9year old son were hunting and we came to a tailwater pit i walked through while he went around when i went up the opposite side he was standing there and scared the hell out of me i rolled back down to the bottom of the pit and all he could do was stand there and soak in all the words he was learning . and when i was dunn teaching him new words he said i only did what u said to do dad. the second happened 15 minutes later when we were leaving somehow dear ol dad got the truck stuck axle deep in a snow drift and only made it worse by trying to get us out . he said now what dad i bit my lip smiled and said with a chuckle you have learned enough for one day and we started walking to the closest farmhouse. ahh memories now he is 14 and still laughes about it. a bad day hunting is better than a good day working

How many did ya git?

Ahhhh, where do I start.......

When I was just a wee bonny lad (18?) my dad and I and 2 other guys would take trips to Iowa every weekend. We had a honey hole we would usually hit and on this particular trip as we pulled into the area we notice a parade of roosters (what seemed like 15-20) walking along a fenceline about a 1/4 mile away. There was no cover around so we all speculated about how to get after them. After much debate I offer to "Nam" around them and hopefully flush some birds back over the group as they pushed through our normal spot. I set off on my journey and tried to flank these birds way around them. Turns out there was a hill betweeen where I ended up and where the other 3 guys were. I coulnd't figure out where these birds had gone and by the way I had no dog with me. All I could see for cover amongst the plowed cornfield was a small patch of grass maybe less than an acre. So I had all but given up and was walking this grass patch back to where the other group was and then one by one 3 roosters proceeded to get up with just enough time in between there flushes to allow me to miss all 5 shots in my Browning A-5 and reload my gun 3 times. All perfect straight away flushes, 15 shots fired, no birds down. So. I slowly crest the hill to see the other 3 fellows about 200 yards way thinking after WWIII there would be no opportunities for them to shoot pheasants since we for sure would be limited out.

I get to my Dad and I ask him for more shells. He asks how many I got which of course I say "0". If you could have seen the look on their faces. I have never heard the end of that incident to this day.

I've got to tell one on my hunting psycho son. We were hunting ducks on the Ninnescah river, sitting on the high bank. The decoys were just upstream and there was a bit of snow on the ground. I put him downstream where he would have the first shots. A nice flock of about 15 mallards came in. I managed to scratch down a single when he was done. He exclaimed " Dad, I can't believe I missed with every shot"! I said son, pick up your shells. He picked up his unfired shells off of the ground with eyes crossed! He never pulled the trigger once, shucked all three shells out on the ground unfired and didn't realize it! Sweet!

Great stories guys. :cheers: Here's a quick one...

Six years ago, my brother, my dad, my cousin and I came around the corner of a stand of woods and worked a grass patch down the side of a hill toward a fenceline. As we neared the fenceline, two roosters and a hen flushed. The hen flew straight away, but both roosters flew straight up, then straight back high over top of us. All four of us emptied our guns on the roosters... and when the shooting stopped, we all just looked at each other and started laughing. Eighteen shots between the four of us and we hadn't touched a feather.

I just broke a solemn oath because we made a pact that day that this story would never be told. :D

i got one. i was hunting with two buddies of mine and we had all but one limit to get for the day. i was about mid afternoon and we were on the way to the last field, we were in the truck and we saw maybe 20 roosters and a couple hens sitting under some pine trees in a walk in. we parked the truck and slowly made out way down to them. we were just about there and we could still see them there. all of the sudden to roosters got up right next to us in a corn field. all of us shot at them and of course we all missed. all 15 times. we looked up ahead at the pine trees and all the roosters were gone.

great thread! Love the stories so far! I have quite a few, but because I hunt alone there have (thankfully) not been many witnesses...

1. I was pass-shooting ducks up on a mig mud flat on the Bay of FUndy at low tide. I heard a lone honk and figured there was a goose down in the channel. Iknew that he'd fly before I could sneak up to him, because it's just wide open goopy mud, so I figured if I could back up on the grass and hit the mud running I might make it 10 more yards before he tried to lift and get a shot off. I backed up and started running on teh grassy part, then hit the mud at full sprint. My waders stopped dead and my face hit the mud hard about 5'10" from where my boots were stuck. Hard. If any of you ever experience Bay of Fundy mud you'll know how long it took me to clean my gun, clothes, body, ear-holes etc.....

2. Late this year we were hunting mallards and a pair blasted right by heading downriver. By the time I got my fozen hands onto my call the ducks were a ways downstream, so I wound up a HUGE breath to give them a comeback call. Put my frozen call up to my lips and BLEW. The call was frozen but I was kinda committed, so the air came out of my nose. Along with a huge bubble! My buddy laughed for about 15 minutes! Earlier in the season I had a similar experience after a batch of bad chilli, but I'm not sure it's appropriate for a 'family' site! Let's just say that it was the first time that I had to clean BOTH sides of my waders, and we'll leave it at that! lol!

3. When I shot my first rooster in 2006 I was so excited that I put down my brand new CAMO Beretta in the grass and RAN to where the bird fell and pup was wondering what to do with it. I fell to my knees and made an incredibly embarassing spectacle of myself congratulating the dog and stroking the pheasant, looking at it's beautiful colours, laughing with glee at a dream come true! I SO proudly tucked the bird into my vest and then spent at least 10 minutes (felt a lot longer - I was so afraid that someone was going to come along and bust me) LOOKING FOR MY GUN!!! lol!

As far as the birds flying though a storm of steel/lead and then looking at each other wondering how it's POSSIBLE that we missed. I WISH I could say that that was one of my embarassing stories, but it seems to happen often enough to us that it doens't count as a story anymore! :D

Back