Morels

gsh lover

Any mushrooms hunters on here?
Almost time down here in Crawford County, just needs to stay warm during the nights

i'm a wanna be. a poacher said my cousin's land along the river is good morel habitat. will try it this year. any tips most welcome.

Last edited:
I hear morels are really good but I don't live where they are. Would like to try them sometime.

i'm a wanna be. a poacher said my cousin's land along the river is good morel habitat. will try it this year. any tips most welcome.
Wait until you hear people are finding them before you go. Just because you or someone else hunted a place and didn't find any doesn't mean they won't be up in a couple days. They will come up around almost any tree, but poplar and elm are the best. Usually, they don't grow in a flood plain. Some use a potato sack to tote them around, claiming the spores will fall through the holes. They come up 1st on sand. clay mushrooms may be a couple weeks behind sand. Wear the best tic dope you can find!! D.N.R. here are trying to get a handle on them. For some strange reason they became so popular they were selling for a ridiculous price. Wich of course brought on a mushroom rush that pissed a lot of people off.

Wait until you hear people are finding them before you go. Just because you or someone else hunted a place and didn't find any doesn't mean they won't be up in a couple days. They will come up around almost any tree, but poplar and elm are the best. Usually, they don't grow in a flood plain. Some use a potato sack to tote them around, claiming the spores will fall through the holes. They come up 1st on sand. clay mushrooms may be a couple weeks behind sand. Wear the best tic dope you can find!! D.N.R. here are trying to get a handle on them. For some strange reason they became so popular they were selling for a ridiculous price. Wich of course brought on a mushroom rush that pissed a lot of people off.
50-60 a pound here. It is a big business. There are little markets in KC that buy bulk at 40 a pound and resell by the 1/4 pound. My uncle owns some creek bed property and his neighbors hired hand claims to have found and sold a couple hundred pounds in a good year. I like them a couple times with some crappie then I am done. Old decaying elms are prime

A friends brother found 41 yesterday between Joplin and Springfield. Have seen lots of pictures last few days of them all over southern Missouri. We are soaking wet though. Dad is 90 miles west and says he hasn’t had a good rain since Christmas.

50-60 a pound here. It is a big business. There are little markets in KC that buy bulk at 40 a pound and resell by the 1/4 pound. My uncle owns some creek bed property and his neighbors hired hand claims to have found and sold a couple hundred pounds in a good year. I like them a couple times with some crappie then I am done. Old decaying elms are prime
Me to. If I have time to hunt mushrooms I would rather be fishing. My family were mushroom fanatics when I grew up. I ate so many growing up I can take em or leave em now. I don't even pick them when I turkey hunting because they wind up smashed before I get them home. I think the time is coming when you won't be able to sell anything from the wild.

I only find them when I am belly crawling on a long beard. That said, I have a group of buddies that hunt them like there is no tomorrow. Last spring the found over 100 lbs and sold a restaurant in KC a lions share for the measly amount of $7K. They used that money to funds some hunting in the fall. I'll see if I can find the pic I took in their garage. I did manage to get my eastern so I guess I could try to find some.

Attachments

• 2023 turk and reaper.jpeg
    2023 turk and reaper.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 7
I only find them when I am belly crawling on a long beard. That said, I have a group of buddies that hunt them like there is no tomorrow. Last spring the found over 100 lbs and sold a restaurant in KC a lions share for the measly amount of $7K. They used that money to funds some hunting in the fall. I'll see if I can find the pic I took in their garage. I did manage to get my eastern so I guess I could try to find some.
Yeah, that's the way it is here. My opinion is nothing harvested in the wild should be sold. My sister in-law has been an avid mushroom hunter for as long as I can remember. Frys them and freezes them. She and another lady was hunting last week on public land. A guy walked up to them and said this was his spot. She said he had at least a couple pounds on him. She told him she's hunted here for years. He said he didn't care and that he would fight for his spot. She said she wouldn't fight but would shoot. He sneered and walked off. That's what happens when $ gets involved. Not too long ago folks that found more than they needed shared with family and friends. Not now.

Yeah, that's the way it is here. My opinion is nothing harvested in the wild should be sold. My sister in-law has been an avid mushroom hunter for as long as I can remember. Frys them and freezes them. She and another lady was hunting last week on public land. A guy walked up to them and said this was his spot. She said he had at least a couple pounds on him. She told him she's hunted here for years. He said he didn't care and that he would fight for his spot. She said she wouldn't fight but would shoot. He sneered and walked off. That's what happens when $ gets involved. Not too long ago folks that found more than they needed shared with family and friends. Not now.
There is a guy in Topeka right now finding 20-30 lbs a day north along the river. Stands outside his house from 5-9 handing them out for 50 bucks a pound. They really exploded with the rain we got last weekend. I go back and forth on the selling. Most of the time we applaud entrepreneurs, until they are selling something we are used to getting for free. See it all the time on here with paying for access to hunt. I prefer to just let people do what they want with what they have worked for or their money. Really isn’t any of my business. I would always worry about someone getting sick for whatever reason. I don’t need money bad enough to sell mushrooms. I make more money working

Back