More Rain in South Dakota

Dakotazeb

We are getting more rain again today. In the Watertown area we had about 1.5 inches a little over a week ago, another 1.0 inches last Sunday, 1.12 inches on the 4th and now 0.5 so far today. Water standing everywhere. Not sure what this all means for the chicks, etc. but we sure could use some dry weather. The water table is so high I've been pumping water out of my crawl space for 3 months. I think I said on another thread that you might need a boat to hunt pheasants in SD this year. If we don't get some dry weather that might not be far from the truth. :)

Well, nothing has changed in the past month. We got another 2.5 inches of rain yesterday and areas north of Watertown got over 5 inches. There is standing water all over. Going to be tough hunting this fall.

Well, nothing has changed in the past month. We got another 2.5 inches of rain yesterday and areas north of Watertown got over 5 inches. There is standing water all over. Going to be tough hunting this fall.

sounds like there will be darn few pheasants .......and ducks on sheet water, scattered everywhere. if rains continue, roads will be a problem too along with what crops got planted, still in the field trying to mature and dry out.
ugh.....without some dry spells it will be difficult....never though i would see too much rain up here.

Will the rain ever stop???? :mad: We have gotten another 1.5" in the past few days and the forecast for the next two days is more rain with heavy rain in some areas. I've heard some areas could get another 3-4 inches. Once again we have water standing everywhere as the water table is extremely high. Please pray with me for some dry weather the rest of the fall.

I talked to a contact I have SW of you zeb, and he claims that Lake Thompson is up 5-6 feet from normal water level. There are roads that he has never seen underwater, unpassable.

Holy smokes people. This could be a hip boot kinda year.

Still a lot of roads under water in SD. Not just secondary roads, but county roads and also main highways. US Highway 81 south of Arlington has been closed all summer. They are raising the road level but not sure when that will be completed.

So I wonder....if a guy got some drake mallard decoys, painted some red on the sides of their heads, fashioned some long pheasant-like tails onto them, & threw them out into some slough.....hmmm.
Even last year was wet enough that I had to wear waders to get to a couple spots. This year's going to be ridiculous. Seriously might need waders on every trip just to get to where I want to hunt.

bad storm hit Sioux Falls last night.....hope all are safe.

I don't remember winds like that before. I don't believe a tornado was terribly close to my house, but we were right in the storm's path. No serious injuries reported that I'm aware of, but lots of tree & house/building damage. Quite a mess.
Got another 2.0" of rain in my back yard. Didn't need that very badly.

:mad::mad::mad:
May not be able to get anywhere to hunt this fall. Hunt ditches in a kayak maybe??

no joke, all kidding aside, getting around to some of your spots is going to be tough, coupled with late harvest (ugh, fields going to be bad muddy).....man, the hunters are gonna "rut up" the roads big time...be courteous guys.

no joke, all kidding aside, getting around to some of your spots is going to be tough, coupled with late harvest (ugh, fields going to be bad muddy).....man, the hunters are gonna "rut up" the roads big time...be courteous guys.

radar shows another batch of heavy storms inbound......ugh

radar shows another batch of heavy storms inbound......ugh

And it did come. We got another 2 inches in Watertown last night and areas to the south and west got a lot more than us. Flooding all over the place, Mitchell, Madison, Sioux Falls, etc. Schools are closed and parts of I90 are under water along with some state highways.

11 inches of rain at Madison SD, and 7 inches in Mitchell.

My brother in law said the roads are probably under water again where we hunt SW of Mitchell. They got another 5 inches there, and there was more rain coming.

Sucks

Same report we're getting from North Central. Never stops raining. No where for the water to go. Ditches are full, sloughs are full and running. Dugouts are full. Most roads too soft for a pickup, using 4 wheelers to check cows. Absolutely no field work getting done. Going to be interesting. Glad we put in for the duck license. Many, many ducks around at the moment.

I watched the news at 5:00 tonight and it's unreal the extend of the flooding in South Dakota. Towns flooded, fields flooded, roads washed out, Interstate 90 closed do to water over the road. It's going to be an ugly fall and make for some really tough pheasant hunting.

I have a friend who farms and ranches near White Lake, he was out last weekend for a quick elk scouting trip on the ranch we hunt, having a hard time getting hay put up that is for sure, hate to cuss rain, but it is getting to that point in many areas of the great plains.

Back