More grouse for Matt and his boys and others, but I am done with them

hey, all. New to grouse & fairly recent to hunting too - moved to CO to climb everything I could, still doing that but like the slower days soaking it all in looking for dinner.

Thanks for everyone's advice - it really helped here as well. First 2 days out were wasted on bad terrain & today I finally got into what seemed like good grouse country. My first was about the size of a football & validated my choice to bring my shepardish mix (more of a herder but by the end of the day he got real excited & happy each time I shouldered my 20 gauge).

Looking back with as warm as it's been I was probably a bit too high (10,300-800) but still came across a covey of 4-5 young of the year & momma, and 4-5 bigger males (2 together & a few more singles).

I'm hooked & the pooch is too!

Can't wait to get back out even as they go higher - not used to hiking below treeline ;)

if anyone's looking to sneak away for 1/2 a day w/o the long drives that most of the "honey holes" alluded to seem to require I was just NW of Central City not too far off 119

I'm sure there were tons more than I saw - still in the kiddie pool end of learning best habitat, elevation & such.

Seemed to all be eating Juniper berries & some small, green, leafy stuff (not sure what it was but the leaves were ~1/4 the size of the Juniper berries) if that'd help anyone target where they're feeding.

Thanks again for the tips - also great to see how many folks seem willing to share their good spots or ideas to help someone else out.

Can't wait to get out again & chase them a bit higher & for next year when they'll start out in even more beautiful terrain.

LOL Chad (Bleu), looks like there are a lot of takers for next year already. IF there is still room for one more, hey I'm game too! :thumbsup:
I would particularly like to get out next year for several days around the mid-Sept weekend when the sage, sharptail & ptarmigan seasons are open too & go for the CO Sept/Grouse Grand-Slam! :cheers:
But if I'm gonna be ready for that kind of sustained high-country huffing & puffing - best get busy right now whipping my fat, old lard-@$$ back into a whole lot better shape by then than I am at the moment... :eek: :D :p

Roger H.

Last edited:
if anyone's looking to sneak away for 1/2 a day w/o the long drives that most of the "honey holes" alluded to seem to require...

Can't wait to get out again & chase them a bit higher & for next year when they'll start out in even more beautiful terrain.

PM me if you want some company. I too plan to get out another time or two closer to home (Denver) in between the rifle seasons before grouse season ends mid-Nov (particularly anytime next week Mon/Oct 27th thru Fri/Oct 31st in-between 2nd & 3rd rifle seasons). I've got a couple other areas in mind if you wanna share spots together...

Last edited:
Back