More grouse for Matt and his boys and others, but I am done with them

The white tailed Ptarmigan we have seem like a chicken with down syndrome? Not sure about willow ptarmies never hunted them? But from the hunting shows I have seen they seem a little more "with it"

Sorry didn't mean for that to come off wrong just mainly wanted so say they are having a good year. But I too have hunted many areas I thought would be excellent for grouse and seen nothing. I probably wouldn't even hunt them if season didn't open sept. 1 It is just a good way for me to get the dogs out when its to hot to chukar hunt. I can say I have killed grouse from above timber line down to 7500 ft so??? The ptarmigan are STUPID and the only sporting part is you are at 13000ft chasing them. I would not recommend that hunt for anyone and they aren't any good to eat. I love eating blue grouse, I don't see how they can be so different tasting??

I would agree with everything you said except that ptarmigan aren't good eating. My girl friend even likes to eat Ptarmigan.

The white tailed Ptarmigan we have seem like a chicken with down syndrome? Not sure about willow ptarmies never hunted them? But from the hunting shows I have seen they seem a little more "with it"

Up in Alaska I do not recall seeing white tailed Ptarmigan. The willow ptarmigan was what we hunted. I would hunt them with my first yellow lab, Conan, on Sherpa snowshoes in Hatchers Pass over near Palmer, AK. The snow was pretty deep, so we would end up hunting the tops of huge willow groves. If you had a dog, they would flush, and they didn't fly very far. At the time we were allowed a limit of 10 (this was in 1992, 93, 94).

I also hunted spruce grouse (cousin of blues)....in the interior of AK they have sharpies and ruffed grouse. However that is about it as far as upland birds go. At least it was that way back in the early 90's.

Greg

Wow Chad! Beautiful country, absolutely gorgeous.:10sign:

Added benefit when hunting these birds. This is really good grouse country. I wish I would of went a week earlier. If I could of walked more I would of caught up to where they were hanging. I wish they went downhill instead of up when the weather changes to Winter. It was 34 degrees when I got there and 36 when I left 5 hours later. If it stays warm for a few days they will come back down. Once their food sources are depleted berries, hoppers, flower buds etc. They will just start to eat pine needles. I think we should get a group together and go up and set up camp and give a couple days to chasing these birds. I think that would be fun. I have the wall tents.

Added benefit when hunting these birds. This is really good grouse country. I wish I would of went a week earlier. If I could of walked more I would of caught up to where they were hanging. I wish they went downhill instead of up when the weather changes to Winter. It was 34 degrees when I got there and 36 when I left 5 hours later. If it stays warm for a few days they will come back down. Once their food sources are depleted berries, hoppers, flower buds etc. They will just start to eat pine needles. I think we should get a group together and go up and set up camp and give a couple days to chasing these birds. I think that would be fun. I have the wall tents.

I am down:thumbsup::10sign: Lets set it up!!!

Greg

I am down:thumbsup::10sign: Lets set it up!!!

Greg

Who would be interested? Add your name. I know things will change, but it will give us an idea of who may want to give it a go. Everyone is welcome.:thumbsup:

Chad
Greg

Who would be interested? Add your name. I know things will change, but it will give us an idea of who may want to give it a go. Everyone is welcome.:thumbsup:

Chad
Greg

Add 'Chris' to the list.

We do that yearly (wall tents in 'grouse camp') - really a fun time and much less serious than Elk camp - mainly since there's no need to get up @ 04:00.

Hi all, I'm coming out of lurker mode for this one. I'd be down for a grouse trip, depending on the timing. I've been trying to hook up with Chris for a day trip, but our schedules keep getting crossed.

Dave

My name's Ryan and I have a problem. I love chasing those chickens any chance I get. Keep me in the loop for a hunt. Would.love to see some new grouse country.

Count me in

I'm game for a group hunt. I have a English Pointer and a rather large canvas wall tent to bring with.

Jeremy

6 so far. I am thinking the weekend after Labor day and will get some scouting in to make sure there are good areas to give us all the best chance. I have a 16x24 with a stove that should hold a few and sounds like some of you have some tents as well. Should be fun..:cheers:

Colorado, Hmmmmmmmm.
Sounds like a great time. :cheers:

First off, I would like to thank all of those on the forum who have PMed me their advice and other info on finding the elusive Colorado blue/dusky grouse. I have lived here since 2002 and was stationed here back in 1995 through 1998 and I have not to this day seen a dusky grouse in the wild. Whether I was elk hunting, camping, ATV riding, or actually hunting them. :mad::confused:

A special thanks to Chad aka BleuBijou for all of his help. He is an awesome guy. However after my son and I drove 4hrs from COS up north, spent all day hunting them with two pointing labs and a flushing lab, well folks I am done.

We did get to see a young bull moose. I haven't seen a moose in the wild since I lived up in Alaska.

I am done with spending the $$ on the gas, getting up so early I feel like I should be duck hunting :eek::eek: I would rather divert my energy and resources to other things that are a bit more fruitful....

Now I have been on this forum long enough that guys will say, "well, it better than being at work or it is the experience or this or that"...I call BS, damn it, it would be nice to at least see something, maybe get off a shot.

I would rather drive half the time, being able to sit and shoot at the few dove that are left.

Now I am gearing up for waterfowl, pheasant, big game and I am done with grouse.

Heck, I will post a pic on here if I can ever figure this dang thing out with photobucket, of me and Conan my first lab, of the willow ptarmigan I shot while living up in Alaska. I would go out in the cold, dark winter month of February and chase those suckers around on snowshoes albeit, but I would at least see something and get a shot off.

Until I see it with my own two eyes....and again, those out there can say, "well good riddance, more grouse for me"...dude, how could that be when I never, ever, ever have seen one.

I have gone on three grouse adventures this month and I am over it!!!! But it wasn't just this season, I have been chasing them for the past several years now (I have lost count officially).

It would be one thing to have seen some and maybe gotten a shot off, but in all the years now that I have hunted them and with outstanding dogs minds you that are seasoned on all other type of upland birds, still have not even ever seen one.

I would rather go shoot sporting clays.

Take care and god bless...

Greg

Greg,

Sorry you didn't have any luck. I was out on Thursday and Friday. Took 3 birds. None on point, but Murphy did get to make the retrieve. I was hunting in the Dunkley, Ripple Creek pass area at about 8-9000 FOE, right at the transition area where the aspens start to thin out and the conifers take over. I took a bunch of pictures. I know this is going out to the entire board so I will PM you the exact areas.

The thing with Blues is that they are in transition at this time of year. Before that cold, wet snap the birds are in the sage brush with Aspen groves at about 7-8000 feet. When that first cold, wet, snow comes it kills off the grasshoppers and bugs at that elevation, and the birds start moving up. It took me about 10 years to figure the damm things out, and I have still had skunk for dinner on more than one grouse hunt, but I have them figured out.

In the next three weeks you will still find them in that 8500-9500 elevation right where the Aspens start to trail off. I hate to see you give up.

And, I assume I am the Matt in your posting?

Totally new to grouse hunting but if you have room for one more I would like to be included.

--Jamie

Now how could I refuse this? Haven't met that many grouse hunters out there so if timing works out I'd love to join up with you guys.

We will bump this thread when time approaches and get everyone on the list who would like to join in some fun..:cheers:

Just got back from Elk hunting and I have been seeing a few grouse and groups of Ptarmigan, those birds are so dumb I will not even shoot them just no sport in it. Maybe if you tried catching them by hand it would be a bit more sporting. I just looked over the regs and did not realize that Grouse hunting was open till the 16th. I am heading back up tomorrow to see if I can get an elk down so maybe I will chase a few Grouse while I am up there.

Of November!!! 2 1/2 months long. Good luck on the elk.

Back