Monday was good!!!

chadsbritt

I didn't make it out for the opener, but was able to make it out on Monday with two of my friends. We did well and ended up with 8 roosters and a quail. We hunted private ground which had been hit hard all weekend, so it was probably not much different than WIA. We had to work hard for the birds and only had 2 in the bag at lunch. We shot well and took advantage of the opportunities we had.

That being said, here are my overall thoughts on the 2012 season outlook;

The cover is in bad shape. I would downgrade everything at least one level; what used to be great cover is now good, good cover is now marginal, etc. It seemed the cover that was really thick was left over from last year.

The predators are everywhere. With marginal cover, this is bad news. I saw a few coyotes throughout the day and more hawks than I care to remember. We need to help the birds out and do some coyote hunting!

Bird numbers are down, but there are still birds out there. I didn't see any flushes of huge flocks of birds, and numbers seem down, but there are still birds to be had. It will become tougher to find them as they wise up and the season wears on.

P.S. - I'm glad I skipped opening weekend. From all of the reports, it sounded like a darn zoo out there.

That's great!!! Would love to see more pic's of him!!! A gentlemen who bought one of the 2 females went to NC Kansas and they shot 7 Roosters by 10:00 and there were only 2 hunters. Said Sunday was not as good!! Thanks for sharing!!:cheers:

Back