Miner & Sanborn County Reports - Crops or Birds

Looking for some reports in Miner and Sanborn Counties...crop status or bird reports appreciated. Looking to make a solo trip in the coming weeks.

Like anywhere else in pheasant land, if you have decent habitat you will probably find some birds...that there is the conundrum...in miner and sanborn counties, as well as many others...I just returned from hunting those very two counties last night...was also out there opener...lots of corn has been harvested, helped the cause somewhat...not overwhelmed by birds, frankly...

Like anywhere else in pheasant land, if you have decent habitat you will probably find some birds...that there is the conundrum...in miner and sanborn counties, as well as many others...I just returned from hunting those very two counties last night...was also out there opener...lots of corn has been harvested, helped the cause somewhat...not overwhelmed by birds, frankly...

BB, seemed like the harvest success has declined since opener. I wonder if these birds arent seeking corn as a daytime refuge and birds will seem poor until all corn is out and some harsh weather is upon is.

As long as corn is up it will hold birds all day. Really no reason to leave. The other thing I noticed where we were at is more marginal cover than in years past. Pasture that was knee deep and a little thicker than normal. Birds will sit in that all day too. Once they get a snow or two up there that will put an end to that crap:)

Snow is overrated. Just makes it a lot harder to walk. The best thing for pheasants and pheasant hunters is a brown Christmas.

Snow is overrated. Just makes it a lot harder to walk. The best thing for pheasants and pheasant hunters is a brown Christmas.

I disagree, I like to have a couple inches of snow on the ground, makes tracking them easier. Now too much snow is not a good thing. just my opinion.

BB, seemed like the harvest success has declined since opener. I wonder if these birds arent seeking corn as a daytime refuge and birds will seem poor until all corn is out and some harsh weather is upon is.
I agree that success has declined since opener--it's been so warm that it seems the birds are really scattered and really wild--in other words it has now become pheasant hunting vs pheasant shooting.

SDJIM, Stan and Tiki. Tiki is the founding member of Paws Up of Stien Hospice and a very good pheasant hunter

Last edited:
Back