Mid-Size Pickup Truck

I love the bird hunting in MT and with 2 labs that's my passion. No need for towing.
I've never had gas tank capacity problems...driving the Alcan in October with half the stations closed,
I still never needed more than half a tank in my Escape between stations.
This past year I hunted MT with a 2008 Ford Escape which worked fine,
but I'd like a small pickup in case a dog gets skunked.
Plus it is nice to be able to hose out the bed every once in awhile.
My plan is to sell my 2010 Silverado 4X4 with 80k miles as I do not need a bigger truck.

2023 Prices Ridgeline is pricier:
Honda Ridgeline Sport AWD $40,145
Tacoma 4WD SR5 Access Cab 6' Bed V6 $38.160
Colorado Crew Cab Short Box 4-Wheel Drive LT $36,400

(2023 1/2 ton 4wd trucks: Silverado 1500 Crew Cab Standard Box 4X4 $50k, F-150 XLT 4WD SuperCrew 5.5' Box $53k)

What are the respective mpg s on the ones you are considering?

Best wishes, which ever you choose.
Tradeoffs. For example AWD Ridgeline 24mpg highway
vs AWD Maverick 29 mpg highway

The 2023 Honda Ridgeline has greater horsepower, torque, towing range, and cargo volume than the 2023 Ford Maverick.
The Maverick does have more driver's legroom at 42.8 inches compared to Ridgeline at 40.9 inches.
However the Ridgeline has 50" between wheel wells compares to Maverick 42.6 inches.

I love the bird hunting in MT and with 2 labs that's my passion. No need for towing.
I've never had gas tank capacity problems...driving the Alcan in October with half the stations closed,
I still never needed more than half a tank in my Escape between stations.
This past year I hunted MT with a 2008 Ford Escape which worked fine,
but I'd like a small pickup in case a dog gets skunked.
Plus it is nice to be able to hose out the bed every once in awhile.
My plan is to sell my 2010 Silverado 4X4 with 80k miles as I do not need a bigger truck.

2023 Prices Ridgeline is pricier:
Honda Ridgeline Sport AWD $40,145
Tacoma 4WD SR5 Access Cab 6' Bed V6 $38.160
Colorado Crew Cab Short Box 4-Wheel Drive LT $36,400

(2023 1/2 ton 4wd trucks: Silverado 1500 Crew Cab Standard Box 4X4 $50k, F-150 XLT 4WD SuperCrew 5.5' Box $53k)
AK, Figure the cost of new truck vs keeping the one you have. Figure out how much mpg difference you would have to have to break even. 52K in gas is alot. You have a full size truck which is probably very comfortable. West is correct most Toyotas are extremely reliable though. Ask me how I know.

AK, Figure the cost of new truck vs keeping the one you have. Figure out how much mpg difference you would have to have to break even. 52K in gas is alot. You have a full size truck which is probably very comfortable. West is correct most Toyotas are extremely reliable though. Ask me how I know.
My plan is to sell our 2008 Escape with 130k miles and my Silverado with 90k miles and get a newer, mid-size pickup with no or low mileage.
I'm also selling my boat, so no trailering needed.
Toyota Tacoma has an excellent reputation for reliability but also reputation for being cramped cab especially for a tall person.

AK, Good luck with your decision. I have 4 Suv's, car. All Yotas, nothing less that 265k on the clock. Most has 435K. Hard to beat Yotas for reliability..

AK, Good luck with your decision. I have 4 Suv's, car. All Yotas, nothing less that 265k on the clock. Most has 435K. Hard to beat Yotas for reliability..
I've owned nothing but Toyotas and Nissans for 30 years. All made in the USA all were exceptional. Bought my Tacoma new in 2011. Never garage kept. Seen lots of gravel, pulled lots of trailers. I haven't had the hood up a dozen times.

My plan is to sell our 2008 Escape with 130k miles and my Silverado with 90k miles and get a newer, mid-size pickup with no or low mileage.
I'm also selling my boat, so no trailering needed.
Toyota Tacoma has an excellent reputation for reliability but also reputation for being cramped cab especially for a tall person.
Being cramped for a tall person is totally false. Whoever is feeding you that is nuts. https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/6-tall-drivers.254165/

Being cramped for a tall person is totally false. Whoever is feeding you that is nuts. https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/6-tall-drivers.254165/
Car and Driver Magazine: "cramped quarters are a staple of the Tacoma. The crew cab's rear seat is where passengers in the Tacoma will have to squeeze, as legroom is abysmal. The Tacoma has more than enough volume in its five-foot or six-foot bed, but it disappoints with few storage cubbies and limited carry-on space inside. Storage capacity is restricted inside the Tacoma, and the crew cab we tested was only able to hold nine carry-ons in the back seat. Aside from the center-console bin, there aren't many usable storage bins or cubbies."

Consumer Reports thought the Toyota Tacoma was one of the worst SUVs and trucks for tall people.

I bought a new Nissan Frontier 4x4 in 2007 and still have it. It has 150k and other than basic maintenance haven’t had any big problems and I get 20 mpg+ all of the time. I’m 6’3” and am fine in the drivers seat but the rear seat legroom is horrible, even for my 5’3” wife. We just bought a 2022 Ram 1500 and so far like it. It’s not broken in yet with less than a 1000 miles but we got 19.7 mpg yesterday driving 80 on the Interstate so the mileage is comparable. What is not comparable is the price ~$70K and the room. I think this pickup has more room than our Subaru CrossTrek but it is also way bigger than my Frontier.

Car and Driver Magazine: "cramped quarters are a staple of the Tacoma. The crew cab's rear seat is where passengers in the Tacoma will have to squeeze, as legroom is abysmal. The Tacoma has more than enough volume in its five-foot or six-foot bed, but it disappoints with few storage cubbies and limited carry-on space inside. Storage capacity is restricted inside the Tacoma, and the crew cab we tested was only able to hold nine carry-ons in the back seat. Aside from the center-console bin, there aren't many usable storage bins or cubbies."

Consumer Reports thought the Toyota Tacoma was one of the worst SUVs and trucks for tall people.
Hate to break it to you but the Tacoma isn't a SUV. Most reporting agencies rate as the best mid size truck made. If you fold up that rear seat you will find that the Tacoma has more storage than any truck available. When I folded up the rear seat I could not believe all the storage the Tacoma has.

Hate to break it to you but the Tacoma isn't a SUV. Most reporting agencies rate as the best mid size truck made. If you fold up that rear seat you will find that the Tacoma has more storage than any truck available. When I folded up the rear seat I could not believe all the storage the Tacoma has.
2023 Tacoma Front / Rear Legroom: 42.9 in. / 32.6 in.
2023 Colorado Front / Rear Legroom: 45.2/34.7 in

I am 6'4" - went to toyota to check out vehicles and thought the tacoma was too cramped for me. Ended up with the 4runner, after 6 months of driving I am realizing that this is too small for me as well. Bump my head on the ceiling and starting to get back pain (my lady says i drive the 4runner like the hunchback of notre dame). Dont know the difference in size of the 4runner to tacoma but I am trading my 4runner for an EcoDiesel Ram 1500 next month.

2023 Tacoma Front / Rear Legroom: 42.9 in. / 32.6 in.
2023 Colorado Front / Rear Legroom: 45.2/34.7 in
I understand that, but each manufacturer has their own way of measuring specs. You would have to have an independent company come in and measure. It happens with every product. Going off listed specs gives you nothing. Each truck will sit different. Buy what you want, but no need to argue with suggestions when you asked for them in the first place. Seems like you already had all the answers before posting.

I understand that, but each manufacturer has their own way of measuring specs. You would have to have an independent company come in and measure. It happens with every product. Going off listed specs gives you nothing. Each truck will sit different. Buy what you want, but no need to argue with suggestions when you asked for them in the first place. Seems like you already had all the answers before posting.
I'm open minded but built like a giraffe and I found the Tacoma too cramped for me
as a driver who has to drive >500 miles one way 3 times each fall....
plus 2500 miles oneway from AK down to MT.
The Tacoma has a great reputation in terms of reliability, but not comfort for tall drivers.

I'm open minded but built like a giraffe and I found the Tacoma too cramped for me
as a driver who has to drive >500 miles one way 3 times each fall....
plus 2500 miles oneway from AK down to MT.
The Tacoma has a great reputation in terms of reliability, but not comfort for tall drivers.
Fair enough. I just didn't know if you actually test drove a Tacoma or if you were going off specs. I know you originally had said "I hear Toyota Tacoma would be cramped for a tall person." I provided you with a link from tall people who actually owned Tacoma's.

I am 6'4" - went to toyota to check out vehicles and thought the tacoma was too cramped for me. Ended up with the 4runner, after 6 months of driving I am realizing that this is too small for me as well. Bump my head on the ceiling and starting to get back pain (my lady says i drive the 4runner like the hunchback of notre dame). Dont know the difference in size of the 4runner to tacoma but I am trading my 4runner for an EcoDiesel Ram 1500 next month.
6'4" here, too. My wife had a 2018 4Runner and I feel your assessment is spot on. My dad is a recently retired GM of the Toyota dealership here, so we've always driven them and have had zero issues.

Kind of off topic, but I don't think the new Tundra's feel like a full size pickup. Definitely not as much leg and head room as my 2011. Once the market settles down I will be looking for a new full size rig and I'm afraid I'll be going away from the Tundra. Until then I will just keep driving my one owner with 150k miles. A few sets of tires and one set of brakes are the only things I've had to do to it.

Yeah I had a buddy who was 6' 4" and he bought a 4runner. I know head space was a little tight for him. I read that the new 2024 Ford Ranger might have a new option of the crew cab but still keeping a full size bed, 6 feet I think.

Back