Mid January '21 hunt

Yeah that's about what the reports have said. I've always enjoyed late season over early. Even up here in Minnesota, I'll hunt with snow knee high and temps in the single digits and have as good of a chance to get a limit as opening weekend.

Yeah that's about what the reports have said. I've always enjoyed late season over early. Even up here in Minnesota, I'll hunt with snow knee high and temps in the single digits and have as good of a chance to get a limit as opening weekend.
Yeah, I definitely like snow hunts. Took my wife out once and it turned in to a blizzard hunt, but at least we didn't have to worry about the birds running on us. Mid December is usually when I have my best luck. It isn't as hard on the dogs and the birds sit tighter for us longer in the cover.

Edit: I should admit that I'm a high school teacher and I take advantage of the snow days when we get them. Hardly anyone out then.

Last edited:
Yeah I bet. My hunting days are limited so not much stops me when I have the chance to get out. I had a South Dakota trip planned a couple years ago, for the last week of their season. The weather for the whole week was high temps in the single digits. I almost cancelled my trip because of it but said the hell with it I'm going. Ended up being a great trip even if we were out in 6 degree temps haha

You decided where you're going BirdDogs? You mentioned earlier about Kansas or Nebraska. I can attest that Nebraska is a great time if you've never been before. I have a young bird dog that I'm getting on as many birds as possible this year. Already bagged sharp tail, ruffed grouse, prairie chicken and pheasants over her so far. Gota add in a quail this year haha
We decided to try KS in January, Russell cty and surrounding area.

We decided to try KS in January, Russell cty and surrounding area.
Lots of WHIA in that area. Have hunted that general vicinity many times. Lots of CRP loss over the last decade. You'll find quail and the occasional group of chickens. Hunted in Stockton one year , had no idea it was gonna snow till we opened the motel door and there was 5'' pilled up next to it. One of the best days we ever had.

Lots of WHIA in that area. Have hunted that general vicinity many times. Lots of CRP loss over the last decade. You'll find quail and the occasional group of chickens. Hunted in Stockton one year , had no idea it was gonna snow till we opened the motel door and there was 5'' pilled up next to it. One of the best days we ever had.
We're pumped ! Email your contact info , I'll certainly be in-touch ! birddogs4evr@cox.net

How are the Pheasant numbers in that area? Judging by the comment about chickens, maybe few and far between? The only areas I'm familiar with in KS are my turkey spots. I wouldn't expect to find any quail or pheasants at those spots tho haha

Yeah I bet. My hunting days are limited so not much stops me when I have the chance to get out. I had a South Dakota trip planned a couple years ago, for the last week of their season. The weather for the whole week was high temps in the single digits. I almost cancelled my trip because of it but said the hell with it I'm going. Ended up being a great trip even if we were out in 6 degree temps haha
I was there 5 or 6 yrs ago, early November never got above 9 degrees , awsome trip !

I will qualify all this with what my expectations were heading into this trip, they were very high which was my fault. Hunted the Russel County area in 2017. It was late December and temps were in the 70's for the most part. We did harvest a few chickens and some quail but no roosters. Only had 1 chance at a rooster and missed. We did see decent quail numbers, moved a couple coveys a day being from Michigan that was great. I was with my son so the hunt was great as he bagged his first chicken and quail.

How are the Pheasant numbers in that area? Judging by the comment about chickens, maybe few and far between? The only areas I'm familiar with in KS are my turkey spots. I wouldn't expect to find any quail or pheasants at those spots tho haha
There are some pockets. We have had days where we killed a couple each. Never have seen those huge flushes much there but to be fair , Its just about always been late season.

I will qualify all this with what my expectations were heading into this trip, they were very high which was my fault. Hunted the Russel County area in 2017. It was late December and temps were in the 70's for the most part. We did harvest a few chickens and some quail but no roosters. Only had 1 chance at a rooster and missed. We did see decent quail numbers, moved a couple coveys a day being from Michigan that was great. I was with my son so the hunt was great as he bagged his first chicken and quail.
That's awesome to hear. I was in South Central Nebraska in January of 2018. It was an awesome trip. Ironically met up and hunted a couple days with a guy from Michigan haha

That's awesome to hear. I was in South Central Nebraska in January of 2018. It was an awesome trip. Ironically met up and hunted a couple days with a guy from Michigan haha
It was a fun trip . Was nice to meet you and your cousin. Heard you bought another dog. Do you still have the little female you had on the 2018 trip ?

In Montana, 6 degrees is warm.

It was a fun trip . Was nice to meet you and your cousin. Heard you bought another dog. Do you still have the little female you had on the 2018 trip ?
Hey Matt! Small world haha yeah I got another dog. Another Small Munsterlander. She's turning into a pheasant machine. And I sure do have my female from then too.

Back