Mid-December hunt, Late Season advice?

One year I was hunting alone late season in the snow with a Brittany pup. We flushed over 60 birds from a small cattail slough in a pasture, they spooked way ahead and didn't get any shots. Most of them went one direction towards a public area so I followed hoping to pick up a straggler or two. There was about 6 inches of old snow with an inch of new snow on top that had just quit when I started hunting. The pasture was pretty bare, but there were little clumps of cattails here and there and after walking a couple hundred yards, started to see some fresh tracks in the snow. The tracks would go a few yards and then disappear in the clumps. About that time the pup would smell them and go on point. I had to kick around and the bird(s) would get up at my feet. We put up at least 25 or so birds one or two at a time. I could have shot them all, but probably wouldn't have gotten any if I hadn't noticed the tracks or she had smelled them. Point is if you see birds flush ahead, go to where they flew and look for fresh sign. Certainly some will run ahead, but some will stick tight to where they land and you literally have to boot them out.

Thanks to all for their continued responses. Appreciate the info.

A pheasant hunt without a dog is like Liberace visiting the Playboy mansion, there just ain't much to get excited about. A decent dog will get you opportunities even in marginal cover. I would rather hunt poor cover with a good dog than hunt Winner without. If you make it out West let me know. I have both dogs and killer habitat, always glad to turn a kid on to proper pheasant hunting. ( I feel that teaching a kid to hunt without dogs is not teaching proper conservation), I seldom lose a bird, but have to put my dogs in the field all the time for people who have birds down but no dog to find them. In fact many is the time that I have had to count their birds against my limit as they take a cursory look, then go back to shooting (and losing) more birds.

Lol, thanks for the laugh.

I did do some SD pheasant hunting about 19 years ago with just a couple other guys and no pointing dog. It was also a little later in the season, though not as late as I'm proposing to come this year. There was snow on the ground and the hunting was definitely tougher, but we did see birds and shoot birds. I guess one's favorite way of hunting pheasant is a matter of perspective and experience. I don't have a lot of either, though I do have a lot of combined experience hunting a variety of upland birds, and waterfowl. I've been known to be pretty persistent when it comes to figuring out ways to be successful in the field.

Thank you for your offer, I will definitely keep it in mind. My plans are still fluid. I'm taking my son on a cow elk hunt in Colorado in about a month and if he has early success I was thinking of taking a little detour through SD on the way home to do at least some "drive-by" scouting of some public areas I've been checking out via satellite photos, though I doubt we'd have enough time to hunt for a few days at that time, hence the plan to come back in December.

If you do have the early success, just buy your license when you come through and hunt for a day or two then ;) Bring the shotguns!

The license is good for 2- 5 day hunts so why not get into some birds when the getting is good? For me, getting out to SD to use the second phase of the license is tough, my second hunt is usually only a couple days.

Good luck to your boy in Colorado. Do enjoy your time together, that's all that really matters. :thumbsup:

If you do have the early success, just buy your license when you come through and hunt for a day or two then ;) Bring the shotguns!

The license is good for 2- 5 day hunts so why not get into some birds when the getting is good?
For me, getting out to SD to use the second phase of the license is tough, my second hunt is usually only a couple days.

Good luck to your boy in Colorado. Do enjoy your time together, that's all that really matters. :thumbsup:

That is a good point, I hadn't thought of that. May well plan for that. Thanks.

Just an FYI for you non-residents. If you come to SD for the late season hunt and purchase your license on our after Dec. 15th the license is good for the remainder of this season and all of next season through January 2018. So you can choose a 5 day period this December and then select a 5 day period any time during the 2017-2018 season. If you are not sure when you will be returning in 2017 just select the last 5 days of the season then if you come earlier you can go to a license agent and have them change it.

Just an FYI for you non-residents. If you come to SD for the late season hunt and purchase your license on our after Dec. 15th the license is good for the remainder of this season and all of next season through January 2018. So you can choose a 5 day period this December and then select a 5 day period any time during the 2017-2018 season. If you are not sure when you will be returning in 2017 just select the last 5 days of the season then if you come earlier you can go to a license agent and have them change it.

This is good advice. It's exactly what I did when I went on my late-season hunt last year. So now when I'm back in 3 weeks, I get to use that 2nd 5-day period, and not have to buy a new license.

Thanks for this!!! Im heading out the 17th of December this year and in November next year!!

Back