Memories made afield

My thoughts before the hunt were I'm not going to get to do this much more but after ward I thought I can't wait to take the little girl with me! She is almost three now and asked every day to go fishing or asks when she will be old enough to hunt with daddy.

We're lucky men RoosterTim! Being able to have the kids along makes it easier to justify the time spent in the field when they're young. Leave them at home, fell guilty for not spending your time with them. If you're fortunate enough to take them along, you're being a good dad and you can spend an inordinant amount of time hunting and fishing w/o feeling guilty!

I'm very thankful my sons enjoy the outdoors as much as I do, even though I have one hunter and what seems to one photographer at the moment. That's okay though b/c at least the photographer is intersted in dog-handling.

Well these are two of my favorite stories from last year.....

Last season I had the pleasure of being with two first time pheasant hunters, and watched them take their first bird.

The first was my sisters boyfriend's little brother. He has taken many turkeys, quail and a couple deer but never a pheasant. he was sooooo excited about tagging along with us all week long, it snowed it's ass off all day friday and heading across I-70 early in the morning on Saturday wasn't looking to promising. We talked about waiting til next weekend but the tears in his eyes were enough to make that idea go out the window. So the normal 3 1/2hr drive took us 6 1/2 hrs. We get to one of my favorite little draws that runs through a milo field. Bitter cold, strong wind and flurries, so Rick (sister's bf) and I decide to let the little man block (He's 12 and very mature for his age, brought up right hunting safety wise) as we start into the draw we kick up a couple birds about 75yrds out, which both appear to be hens and head right down the draw right at him, he lifts his gun to his shoulder and drops the back bird we both look at each other with no words. finish walking the draw out and he is standing there with the biggest smile, and his first rooster in hand.

The next was my other half's first bird, in the few weeks prior she had killed her first duck, and goose, I was pretty impressed. But I told her this would be different, and she had to be quicker with the gun as they are most always going away instead of in your face with their feet down. So we head to that same favorite little draw of mine, 3 degrees and windy when we get there. She's a trooper and never complianed once all day. My father and another buddy were also with me this day, so my old man and her went to block the bottom of the draw again. When they first walked into the draw a rooster flushed right between her legs, my dad said she just froze and watched him fly away. All she said was "WOW!!" ha I got a kick out of that. We started into the draw and shot a bird a piece on the way down. We get about 40 yrds apart from my father and Jenn and kick around a little since normally a bird or two holds tight, and sure enough one rooster skirts out the side going left to right for her she snap shoots him like a seasoned veteran... Couldn't help but smile to myself. She needless to say was stoked, my lab was right on top of him when he hit the ground and i'm pretty sure she almost tackled him to get her bird.

I'll never forget both of those days, needless to say that has become my favorite place to hunt, always holds birds and now has a little sentimental value in it as well.

I've got a picture of the other first bird somewhere, I'll have to dig it out.

jen.jpg

It was a foggy October day and we had the river all to ourselves. Opening morning of quail season, my springer JP's first quail hunt. We waited for the fog to lift and dropped JP who flushed the first covey within 30yds of the truck. Two hours and three coveys later we had bagged 19 quail one short of my brother and I's limits (no fault of JPs my gun wasn't working right). On the way back to the truck JP ventured out a little far for my taste and when I called him he brings back a wing tipped bird (the only one we lost) proud as can be to finish off our limits. I was the proudest dog owner in California that day. What a way to start his quail hunting career.

I have a certain field (on public hunting) in Central Kansas that I hold dear. It's where I shot my first pheasant on my first pheasant hunting trip in college. After college I got my first birddog. On our first hunting trip I took him to the same field and he locked up not 50 yards from where I shot my first rooster. I was so excited watching him do his thing that it took me three shots but I managed to kill his first bird as well. Then, the very next year I took a buddy of mine to the magical field and was telling him these very same stories. We get out of the truck and within 5 minutes Hank locks up. I go in and kick and two roosters jump up and I drop both, my first double!!! The crazy thing is that there's not a whole lot of pheasants around this area and those birds are the only ones we flushed from the field. I still have the tail feathers from those birds and will never forget that field!

Back