Memories made afield

HUNTIN4FUN

Lets here some of your greatest memories from afield. They can be anything from the first time a child harvested his/her first bird, your pups first real bird, or any other good memory you may have. This should be a good time and I look forward to reading what some of you guys have to say.

the best time I have ever had was last year when both of my sons were hunting with me they were walking towards me into a narrow place made for only to peaple to hunt and just looking at them walking towards me was something I will not soon forget and the fact that when they got close to the end it erupted with birds all around them and they both forgot how to shoot their guns apparently becouse all they could do was stand there and watch the birds as they came boiling out from all around

3 shots - 3 Phez

Being from La., I get 1 week a year to chase phez. Each bird I see, at this point in my phez career, still fills my soul w/ delight. Last Dec., myself and 2 buds were hunting a WIHA just sw of Hill City. I was on the left holding a Citori O/U. I topped a small hill. Just on the downward slope was what I call black bush or fire bush. About 15 birds came out at 15 yards but not all at once. 2 or 3 at a time. It seemed to happen in slow motion. My 1st 2 shots connected on right -to-left crossing shots. I had plenty of time to reload since the phez were in slow motion. My 3rd connected also.
Now, I am as laid back as they come but I am on top this hill jumping up and down notifying to the world what an awesome shot I am. Unfortunately, my friends were 100 yards away and could not see the side of the hill where the birds flew from. infact they did not even see a bird until I came over carrying 2 and his brit carrying the other.:D

the best time I have ever had was last year when both of my sons were hunting with me they were walking towards me into a narrow place made for only to peaple to hunt and just looking at them walking towards me was something I will not soon forget and the fact that when they got close to the end it erupted with birds all around them and they both forgot how to shoot their guns apparently becouse all they could do was stand there and watch the birds as they came boiling out from all around

I can't wait to see my boys watching a group of birds flying away while taking no shots. I witnessed something very similar 2 seasons ago with a group of youngsters.......these experiences are priceless!!

This is definitely one of the funniest memory I have. 2 season ago my buddy and I were hunting in Barton county just outside of Wilson. We hadn't been walking long and he says in an excited voice, I swear to god "LOOK A COUGAR!" Now the bobcat he saw was about 30 yards away and in plain sight and I started laughing my ass off. Now every time we are out in that area I give him hell and ask him if he thinks we might come across any cougars today.

Birds in bunches

Growing up in Michigan I always loved bird hunting but the reality of shooting many rooster just wasn't possible. I worked my tail off along with the dogs to get the birds we got in a season. A Michigan bird season which is only 25 days long will really humble a man, and quick. Since I have been stationed at Ft. Riley my dad and I have made it a point to hunt together in Kansas on or around Thanksgiving. My dad being a Michigander his whole life has had piece after piece of humble pie when it comes to bird seasons. Birds seasons in Michigan aren't measured by the amount of birds harvested but rather the bonds formed by both man and beast over a season that yes may be short but is also tougher than any season I have seen else where. This past year was a special year for my dad and I since we had a pretty close call with his health early in the spring. When my dad arrived he didn't come with the hopes of filling his bag but rather the hopes to be able to spend another good time afield with his son. It was on the second day of the hunt after a rather dismal first day that I saw a look on that mans face that I will never forget. We had gotten out of the truck early in the morning before day break and we were all gathered around some hot coffee talking over our strategy. We had found this piece of WIHA the night prior and thought it looked promising. As the sun rose in the sky and we grabbed all of our equipment and let the dogs out of the boxes, we started walking into the field. After a couple hundred yards or so we came to a corner in the CRP that was bordered by cut milo I told my dad that if there was going to be any birds in the field this is where they would be. Soon after saying this all three dogs locked up on different birds at exactly the same time. Now what my dad asked and I said we work from closest to furthest and hope for the best. When that first bird punched out of that grass into that cold November morning sky it took with it at least two hundred birds. With gun barrels hot and excitement running high I turned to look at my dad and see a man that had the biggest grin imagineable. For on this day he didn't need to eat any humble pie because we had just put plenty of tasty ditch parrots on the ground. When all the smoke and feathers cleared we had successfully bagged 5 roosters in a matter of a minute. This is a memory that I will never forget, one that will never probably be out done because I was able to give back to the man that had given me so much in my life.

Hey Corey, hope all is going well for you--

So many good memories, so little time to type---

Two years ago my wife went with us for the first time. She'd got a few shots on Saturday, but was always doubling up with somebody else, so no birds she could claim for her own. On Sunday we started in the same CRP patch we always started with, the dogs kind of split up both trailing, so dad and I went with one dog, brother in law and her went with the other. Dad and I got into some shooting, got our birds, looked to the east into the rising sun and saw my two year old male locked up on point with my wife (girlfriend at that time) walking in with my brother in law. Saw the prettiest rooster flush against the golden grass of the CRP with the rising sun in the background, heard a shot, but due to the sun couldn't see who had shot. Our dog ran out to get the downed bird, was in the process of bringing it back when she goes running out to him and rips the bird from his mouth. She was so excited to get her first bird she forgot that the dog was doing his job in bringing it back to her. My brother in law is such a softie, giving her the opportunity to make the shot, geesh.....

Things are going as well as they can be I guess. Just need to get the hell out of this sand box and back home where I belong. How have you been? Good reads as well keep them coming guys.

Last year on family land me and a friend, his wife and his 2 boys went to hunt pheasant in Kansas. We had walked all day me and my friend had shot a couple, and the wife or boys had not hit a bird all day. One boy was one of those one's that kinda hunt go tired went back to the truck, etc, the other hunted all day hard. Well dad and mom pushed a crp corner toward a shelter belt, while me and the hard hunter went to block on the crp on the other side. Well we are standing there and mom and dad scare a rooster our way, he lands right in front of us. I get the young hunter and say let's walk this out before they come up here, we walk maybe 10 feet the rooster gets up we both shoot I am way off and he nails it, it lands out in the newly planted wheat and is dead as a door knob, I tell him let's walk the rest of this out in case there is another bird, so while walking it out he keeps on asking me 'who shot that bird?' I ignore him we walk the rest of it out, and I tell him go get that bird he shot, he just dropped his jaw and was so excited. We load back into the pickup, put the bird in the back and head for mom and dad, he asked them if the missed a rooster dad said yeah it was too far out, he replied not for me look in the back of the truck! He shot the bird with a single shot 20 gauge, and worked hard all day for that bird, it was the best hunting trip I have ever been on.

Rod

When I was just a pup (17) me and a good buddy drove up to Chamberlin S.D. to hunt some birds. He was up on a bluff when all I hear is , Boom,Boom,Boom,Boom,Boom, reload, Boom , Boom, Boom, Boom. I figured he hit the mother lode, as I ran up there, he is blasting into the dirt below. I can't figure out what the hell is going on and he starts yelling, " I am out of ammo". Turns out he walked onto a mess of Rattlers heading for the den. There were snakes everywhere!!!!! Dead and alive!!!!!! LOL :eek:

Growing up in Michigan I always loved bird hunting but the reality of shooting many rooster just wasn't possible. I worked my tail off along with the dogs to get the birds we got in a season. A Michigan bird season which is only 25 days long will really humble a man, and quick. Since I have been stationed at Ft. Riley my dad and I have made it a point to hunt together in Kansas on or around Thanksgiving. My dad being a Michigander his whole life has had piece after piece of humble pie when it comes to bird seasons. Birds seasons in Michigan aren't measured by the amount of birds harvested but rather the bonds formed by both man and beast over a season that yes may be short but is also tougher than any season I have seen else where. This past year was a special year for my dad and I since we had a pretty close call with his health early in the spring. When my dad arrived he didn't come with the hopes of filling his bag but rather the hopes to be able to spend another good time afield with his son. It was on the second day of the hunt after a rather dismal first day that I saw a look on that mans face that I will never forget. We had gotten out of the truck early in the morning before day break and we were all gathered around some hot coffee talking over our strategy. We had found this piece of WIHA the night prior and thought it looked promising. As the sun rose in the sky and we grabbed all of our equipment and let the dogs out of the boxes, we started walking into the field. After a couple hundred yards or so we came to a corner in the CRP that was bordered by cut milo I told my dad that if there was going to be any birds in the field this is where they would be. Soon after saying this all three dogs locked up on different birds at exactly the same time. Now what my dad asked and I said we work from closest to furthest and hope for the best. When that first bird punched out of that grass into that cold November morning sky it took with it at least two hundred birds. With gun barrels hot and excitement running high I turned to look at my dad and see a man that had the biggest grin imagineable. For on this day he didn't need to eat any humble pie because we had just put plenty of tasty ditch parrots on the ground. When all the smoke and feathers cleared we had successfully bagged 5 roosters in a matter of a minute. This is a memory that I will never forget, one that will never probably be out done because I was able to give back to the man that had given me so much in my life.
cmon corey you couldnt hit a bird if flew perfect for you lol

Things are going as well as they can be I guess. Just need to get the hell out of this sand box and back home where I belong. How have you been?

Going good here in Missouri, got a pretty good shorthair started that I picked up by Ft Riley last fall......

Looking like she is a retrieving machine so far. Was picking the garden and throwing overgrown sqaush into my pasture. She was seeing me throw it and going into the grass, sniffing out the sqaush, and bringing them back to me. Squash, green tomatoes, soda bottles, retrieving dummies, tennis b balls, rawhides, and Dairy Queen cups she can retrieve with a passion. 1 more month and we will see if that carries over to doves.

When I was just a pup (17) me and a good buddy drove up to Chamberlin S.D. to hunt some birds. He was up on a bluff when all I hear is , Boom,Boom,Boom,Boom,Boom, reload, Boom , Boom, Boom, Boom. I figured he hit the mother lode, as I ran up there, he is blasting into the dirt below. I can't figure out what the hell is going on and he starts yelling, " I am out of ammo". Turns out he walked onto a mess of Rattlers heading for the den. There were snakes everywhere!!!!! Dead and alive!!!!!! LOL :eek:

Thanks for sharing the story, but I'm a puss when it comes to snakes and that story makes my skin crawl!

blue your buddy did the same thing I would have done only i wouldnt have stuck around to see if i hit any I would have been back at the motel packin my bags and heading south

One of my favorites came last weekend. My four year old boy has really bocome obsessed with hunting "his" dog. About 10 mins into running him last weekend, my boy became overwhelmed with the thick vegitation, bugs, and heat. Something I knew would happen.

I threw him up on my shoulders and carried on. He rode up there for at least another half hour. When we finally circled back and made it to the two track he wanted down, much to my delight.

When I took him off my shoulders he immediately fell over. At first I couldn't figure out what was wrong with him. Then he started giggling and saying "Dad, I can't feel my legs." "Dad, my legs won't go." He laid in the middle of the road giggleing for several minutes. I guess it was the first time that his legs ever went numb.

Pretty stupid little trivial event, but I will never forget it. Nor will I forget how excited he was to give Poppa (my dad) a couple of wild onions that we picked during the run. It's the little things...

Three stories come to mind. The first is the last day my lab and I hunted together. We worked a field that we had for many years with no luck that day. As we worked back towards the truck, I pulled off the route to hit a little draw that sometimes hold a bird or two. We started and Trigger caught scent. He worked the bird for 300 yards towards the end like the pro he had become. His tired soul came back to life as he worked that scent trail from side to side. We got to the end and he worked the corner, knowing that the bird was holding tight. I just stood there proud of the true hunter that he was. He finally pin pointed the bird and flushed hard. Hen! Damn, to bad his last bird was a hen. Oh well, it was a great drive and flush. This field has held many fond memories of us two hunting and this is the field I will one day place his collar on a stone post. So, if any of you every come across a red collar mounted on a lone rock post in the middle of this CRP, you know you are in a great place!

Second story is from this past year, I was hunting solo with my buddiesâ?? brit that I have been "borrowing" for the past several years. This too is a field that holds many fond memories of hunts. It is a field that can truly be great. We just pushed a thick section of tall woodacious stuff. Abby gets birdy and circles around a sunflower patch. I walk in, and a bouquet of roosters bust out. I shoot twice, drop two, crack the double open, catch the shells and reload and drop two more. Days over just as it started. What a feeling.

Number three, again from this past year. Hunting a friendâ??s 40 acre patch of CRP. Working our way back to the truck and Abby gets birdy again. She locks up, I walk in, and she relocates. This happens several more times. Finally she works around to the front and pins the bird down between us. I walk in, it is holding tight, walk in tighter, still holding tight. I look down and see long tail feathers from under a clump. Up pops a colorful head! I lay the gun down and dive on the bird! He is now gracing the mantle!

One of my favorites came last weekend. My four year old boy has really bocome obsessed with hunting "his" dog. About 10 mins into running him last weekend, my boy became overwhelmed with the thick vegitation, bugs, and heat. Something I knew would happen.

I threw him up on my shoulders and carried on. He rode up there for at least another half hour. When we finally circled back and made it to the two track he wanted down, much to my delight.

When I took him off my shoulders he immediately fell over. At first I couldn't figure out what was wrong with him. Then he started giggling and saying "Dad, I can't feel my legs." "Dad, my legs won't go." He laid in the middle of the road giggleing for several minutes. I guess it was the first time that his legs ever went numb.

Pretty stupid little trivial event, but I will never forget it. Nor will I forget how excited he was to give Poppa (my dad) a couple of wild onions that we picked during the run. It's the little things...

Amen brother!!

Three stories come to mind. The first is the last day my lab and I hunted together. We worked a field that we had for many years with no luck that day. As we worked back towards the truck, I pulled off the route to hit a little draw that sometimes hold a bird or two. We started and Trigger caught scent. He worked the bird for 300 yards towards the end like the pro he had become. His tired soul came back to life as he worked that scent trail from side to side. We got to the end and he worked the corner, knowing that the bird was holding tight. I just stood there proud of the true hunter that he was. He finally pin pointed the bird and flushed hard. Hen! Damn, to bad his last bird was a hen. Oh well, it was a great drive and flush. This field has held many fond memories of us two hunting and this is the field I will one day place his collar on a stone post. So, if any of you every come across a red collar mounted on a lone rock post in the middle of this CRP, you know you are in a great place!

Second story is from this past year, I was hunting solo with my buddiesâ?? brit that I have been "borrowing" for the past several years. This too is a field that holds many fond memories of hunts. It is a field that can truly be great. We just pushed a thick section of tall woodacious stuff. Abby gets birdy and circles around a sunflower patch. I walk in, and a bouquet of roosters bust out. I shoot twice, drop two, crack the double open, catch the shells and reload and drop two more. Days over just as it started. What a feeling.

Number three, again from this past year. Hunting a friendâ??s 40 acre patch of CRP. Working our way back to the truck and Abby gets birdy again. She locks up, I walk in, and she relocates. This happens several more times. Finally she works around to the front and pins the bird down between us. I walk in, it is holding tight, walk in tighter, still holding tight. I look down and see long tail feathers from under a clump. Up pops a colorful head! I lay the gun down and dive on the bird! He is now gracing the mantle!

ALL 3 excellent stories:thumbsup: Thanks for taking the time to share them w/ us.

For me it was the weekend before my daughter was born in December and I thought I better get some hunting in knowing my free time for the year was over. Maggie and I headed with perfect conditions. We had two inches of snow on the ground with the temp in the mid twenties. We starting with the home place where we shot two rooster then on to a honey hole of mine where we shot two more. The total trip took about an hour and a half with forty five minutes of drive time. My thoughts before the hunt were I'm not going to get to do this much more but after ward I thought I can't wait to take the little girl with me! She is almost three now and asked every day to go fishing or asks when she will be old enough to hunt with daddy.

Back