mdc news release MDC offers private landowners payment for public use of land

Anyone see the new MRAP program they are starting in Missouri? Says they plan to enroll 10,000 acres this year in Northern Missouri. Wonder what the landowner response will be?

I'm excited to see how this turns out. It seems so successful in other states and hoping it'll be that way here in MO.

I kind of am too. It may take a couple of years to take off. It seemed like when they first ran it in Kansas it was pretty poor land in the program. Then after a few years of management and more getting involved it seemed to take off and have better land to hunt. When I knock on doors in Kansas, 3 out of 5 people will let me go hunting. In missouri its about 1 out of 10. But money is a great motivator!

The problem I have seen in Ks is land that was in the walk in one year would be posted and leased the next as the money hunters would offer the landowner more money than the state did. I was fortunate to have private ground to hunt but did hunt some wia areas and over the years as bird numbers fell this practice seemed to be used less. I too hope for it to work in Mo and being a hunter and farmer see both sides.

Googled it yesterday. Could not find much except the first article from winter. $15 an acre. Should have some takers. Categories are:

all hunting
youth hunting only
view wildlife only
small game hunting only

I think they are starting out with small game only hunting. Then plan on moving into it. I just got the press release from MDC. I think it will work in the Northern half of the state where there are bigger farms.

Thanks for your post. Assumed it would be called WIHA. MRAP

Should be good for quail in northern Missouri this year. Not sure about pheasant.

I hope they can find as good of habitat as Iowa And SD enrolled in the program. Supposedly, they are going to start up north and in scott and stoutland counties. I hope they start on a quail focus when looking for land to lease.

Back