Making my Second trip to SD

Good afternoon all,

Making our second trip to South Dakota from South Louisiana the second weekend of November, we hunted through UGUIDE 2 years ago and stayed just south of Selby, had a great time.

This year we are coming up and staying near Mobridge (most of Uguide was booked if I recall). We are wanting to get some duck hunting in as well as the normal pheasant hunting and hopefully some bonus chickens and sharptail. Anyone have any general recommendations for areas to check out and or stay away from? We have hunted pheasants for a few years and will have 3 shorthairs (2 experienced, 1 pup), a lab, and 1 pointer.

Thanks for any and all help and tips.

sidenote, if anyone would like to meet up and enjoy some good Cajun cooking in exchange for some access or just general bullshitting, please let me know

Last edited:
I j e duck hunted that time of year and if weather cooperates and ducks are down scout the waterfowl management areas. We shot a lot of ducks off of public. Also knock on doors if you see birds in fields or private ponds. We found duck hunting much easier to get permission than upland. Good luck

Bump

Based on the dryness and reports,

Do yall still think we are ok basing our hunts out of the glenham area for ducks, pheasant, and other upland birds?

We will be mostly looking at public land, but are willing to pay for some access if needed.

Thanks in advance

Like the man said it depends on the flight. That is usually when the flight ducks start arriving in that area. The bigger water will hold birds even if it's dry or you can field hunt in the corn if you know how. If you shoot the roost water in that neck of the woods they will leave. There are decent locals above you right now, as I know buddies goose hunting that are seeing decent fields of mallards. They should be gone by the time you're there. Good luck!

Thanks.

We are narrowing down our crew and looks like it will end up being 6 of us. So hopefully we can get on enough birds to keep things interested.

If any of you want to trade some good Louisiana food and goods for some info, let us know! ahah

Bring 2 robo's and a doz canada shells and set up near a cattail slough or fenceline or other cover in field. Somebody will have to scout fields in the evening and skip the best time to hunt phez. Field hunt in the morning where they were night before. North along the boarder has better water duck hunting, the pressure from ND hunters due to unlimited licenses moves the birds out and they can sit in SD relatively unmolested. On nice days they will SIT.

Waterfowl update

Snows and Blues have just started to move into the NE pot hole region this past week. Canadian numbers are good and growing. Larger flocks of Mallards are also starting to arrive. With the temps dropping the 20s for lows next week, the Waterfowl hunting should get good. No snow or bad weather to push the birds south yet. Harvest should be more than half done this weeks so more feed available for the migration. I love this time of year... SDViking

11/10-11/16

We got drawn for waterfowl so trying to do both pheasant and water fowl and well as anything else we can scare up.

6 hunters 4 gsp

2 dogs have been on pheasant before
2 dogs have not

Had a great time tuna fishing, we caught 4 the first day with the biggest 70 then fished shrimp boats sunday and the biggest went a little over 100. Crazy strong fish and real big game fishing. I'll def be back. We brought back 100 lbs. of shrimp and the fresh tuna steaks were to die for. It is a destination spot for sure.
On a report from reliable crazed friend the ducks are just starting to get to that neck of the woods you're heading to. Barring a polar vortex you should time it perfect. With the warm fall we were a week early for the big tuna bite. Still a good time.

Please keep the waterfowl updates coming. I'm headed out the 13-18. Hope we time it better this year. Two guys 3 labs. Hoping to hunt cornfields again.

Weather is almost too nice for good hunting

This past week South Dakota experienced crazy nice weather, highs in the upper 60-70 lows above freezing, Not normal weather for November in SD. Looks like SD gets one more week of above average weather. Looks like November 14th things start to be more Fall like with highs in the 50's and lows slightly below Freezing plus some Low cloud moisture days which will help your waterfowl hunting. Corn is being combined pretty quickly and there shouldn't be much corn left to harvest by then. Maybe the farmers will hold off on Corn fall tillage and give you more opportunities to hunt that ground. Good numbers of Northern Mallards arriving, but Snows and Blues are still staying north. There are enough Canadian Geese around to keep things interesting. Plus hunting pressure on Geese in our area has been very light so they aren't too tough to decoy in. Good Luck, don't get run over by the deer, they seem to be everywhere. SDviking

Back