Make my lab stop pointing

??? A dog that will point and then flush roosters with a verbal command is one of life's great pleasures. Admittedly this is against the "rules" but sometimes getting a shot at those buggers requires some creativity. The really cool thing about a dog like this is that no amount of money can buy you one, it just takes a few years a few hundred pheasants and some dumb luck.

You have described the problem with most pointing dogs, getting lucky enough to find one that will only flush after pointing on command and not ruining the pointing instinct.

To each his own, but I will abide by the "rules".
I have been accused of being a snob a time or two on the forums, given my penchent for pointing dogs and sxs shotguns in small gauges. Anyone on this forum that has hunted with me knows I am not breed or style blind, work as hard as I have to for those hunting with me, and for myself and am generally a very:cheers: social animal.
________
Arizona marijuana dispensary

Last edited:
My dog points everything that is in his hunting birds book. He will not point a meadowlark for example. I have tried when I am hopelessly out of position to get him to flush the bird for me. He just will not do it, he only takes as a command to relocate and get closer to the bird. He has so much natural ability, I'm afraid to push things for fear of upsetting his applecart. He does things I could never have the ability to teach. Heck, I never even began to think of some of the stuff he does. When I'm kicking in the wrong spot, he will tell me where the bird is exactly with his eyes.

You have described the problem with most pointing dogs, getting lucky enough to find one that will only flush after pointing on command and not ruining the pointing instinct.

To each his own, but I will abide by the "rules".
I have been accused of being a snob a time or two on the forums, given my penchent for pointing dogs and sxs shotguns in small gauges. Anyone on this forum that has hunted with me knows I am not breed or style blind, work as hard as I have to for those hunting with me, and for myself and am generally a very:cheers: social animal.

Uncle Buck I think you are correct, and by and large we are in agreement; our discussion just needs some clarification. One point I would like to make is that I am talking about a pheasant dog, meaning a dog that is only used for pheasant hunting. I am very interested in everyone's views, but I would guess a pointing dog that will flush on command is a relatively rare and random beast, while a flushing dog exposed to a lot of roosters that "flash points" or points and flushes on command is much more common. So guys, lets hear about your amazing pointer that flushes, or your tremendous flusher that points.

...........while a flushing dog exposed to a lot of roosters that "flash points" or points and flushes on command is much more common. So guys, lets hear about your amazing pointer that flushes, or your tremendous flusher that points.

I've watch my friend's two labs plus my own lab hold a solid point until the command to flush is given. I was under the impression that this was the norm for a pointing lab. If this is the exception to the rule, what are the odds that there are three labs that are hunting pheasants together?

Back