Major rain in South Dakota

haymaker

Here in central Edmunds County we have had 5.25 inches of rain. I suspect there will be a fair amount of prevent plant. Probably early enough to not mess up nesting.

With current commodity prices, I think the farmers will get most acres planted...eventually. That had to be good to get that rain...unless it was all in a couple hours.

Our rain came in two rains, 1.75 first and 3.5 Saturday. We were perfect before it started to rain we had 12 inches last fall. Planting wheat will be very difficult. It will depend on the weather going forward what we can get planted. I have been told north east of Aberdeen will have a lot of prevent plant.

There was rain in a lot of eastern SD but probably not that heavy everywhere. More expected tonight and tomorrow morning.

Talked to a buddy NW of you and they got 1.25”. Gonna be an interesting spring for sure. Read an article this week that the prevent plant decision won’t be as easy as some years since corn prices are so high. Can plant a little later with reduced yield and still be better financially. Of course that makes the assumption they can get the crop in the ground when they think they can.

Yes, wheat should be planted now. Do I plant late or switch to another crop or take the prevent plant option and plant forage that I can graze later?

I went to a field trial this weekend by Ellendale, ND. Driving on Hwy 37 north of Groton, SD to the state line there was water everywhere. Ditches are full and most fields have standing water. Can't imagine some of those fields ever being planted this year.

The northern part of S.Dak east of the river was wet last fall,areas got snow,and now are getting rain lots of rain. I am more centrally located and we were very dry since last summer. Not much snow,at least for snow melt. We have gotten some rain in the last couple weeks.

The amount of moisture up in that north east corner is what has caused the high water levels in area lakes around here for the last 10/15 years . Some of that moisture drains east to Minnesota. The middle of the Dakotas as well as The area where the Missouri River starts in Montana have been dry for years and still need some rain.

Near me the Sioux River was only out of its banks for 48 hours last year and is only nearly full today. 4 and 5 years ago it was flooded in the spring for months.

It must really be a mess to PP corn with the prices of commondities now! You might see them planting way late and hoping for a late frost with these prices.

Just came home from Sioux Falls. I saw no field work, Wessington Springs area got 1.30 of much needed rain. South of Miller until I got home there is water standing everywhere. No field work for a while and more possible on Thursday. Yes PP is possible.

I didn't know what PP was either. I think it is mentioned in the above post # 4.
I watched a YouTube video on prevent plant. Has to do with crop insurance.
Please correct me if I'm wrong....

Back