Lymes vaccine, opinions,experience ??

dottie

I am interested in hearing the opinions of bird dog owners concerning the new Lymes vaccine available /pushed? .... by certain veterinarians.
My Brittany is on tick control medicine......dooes he also need the vaccine? Are there other concerns about " over vaccination"?
Thanks8

I have a lot of practical experience with Lyme and anaplasmosis in dogs and will send you a PM.

Last edited:
I am in tic country, I have had all my dogs vacinated and re vacinated for Lyme. Cooper got lyme and died because of Lyme.
But for sure vaccinate for Lyme, just doesn't always work.
Anaplasmosis is REALLY bad stuff, worse then Lyme and there is no vaccination.
Get the best tick stuff you can and check your dogs for ticks even with the best stuff available. (every day

Brittman, If you have worthwhile info on this why not post it on these forums?:confused:

I have a lot of practical experience with Lyme and anaplasmosis in dogs and will send you a PM.

I would also be interested in reading your experience. I live in tick country as well and it is nothing for me to pick 2-3 ticks off each dog and the same off me each evening after our runs. They stay up to date on their Lyme vaccinations, get front line, and get sprayed with Happy Jack DD-33 (when I remember). Last year seemed to be worse this year, but last year I didn't use happy jack. Highly recommend the Happy Jack DD-33

lyme vac

My vet also recomended several yrs ago and I didnt follow through as I thought sw michigan was free of deer ticks. My springer got lyme disease shortly there after and nearly died, dont hesitate. If your in tick territory or going to hunt tick territory get the vacine.

I have vaccinated all my dogs for lymes disease and put tick control on them. They still have all gotten lymes. Does it help, I don't know my dogs still contracted the virus!? What I do know is that when they are under stress like whelping that is usually when the effects of the disease hits them. Wish there was a better alternative or something that actually was proven to work.

I agree. My dog had it once and got very ill. I personally have been battling it for about a year and half.

Here is the opinion of one of the leading pet health care experts concerning the Lyme vaccine.

http://drjeandoddspethealthresource...9516592/schultz-lyme-vaccine-dog#.VVVHUxvyS70

Dottie,

Solid Gold veterinary advice right there.

Meeeeechigan (sp) does not have a high rate of LD in dogs, except for the Western UP. The infection rates in WI and MN are much higher.

I keep my dogs right up to snuff with Frontline Plus product, and add a fresh Preventic collar on them when hunting in the UP. I have never seen a live tick on my dogs, but they are not swimming in the lakes everyday either.

Many of the so-called Frontline failures are because the owners do not apply the product properly.

NB

NB

Back