Lost Shorthair around Milford Lake

V-John

I'm cross posting this in case someone sees this dog.

"My name is Jon I am new to the forums but I have been a follower for a while. My friend Curt took our GSP to Kansas on Monday and hunted all day around Clay Center KS (Milford wetlands wildlife area) on the west side of Milford Lake between 11th and 12th road. "Bullitt" our Gsp got spooked around dark and would not load up in the truck for some reason and ran away from the group. At about 9pm they decided to find a local hotel and return to the area at first light, they also left a carpet from the dog box and a shirt. When the guys returned to the area the next morning he was nowhere to be found, they then chose to hunt the same area all day tuesday but didnt have any luck spotting my dog. This dog actually belongs to my 14yr old son who right now is needless to say devastated! I am kicking myself right now for letting our young dog go hunting without me but I thought it best for him to make the trip to find some wild birds. Bullitt unfortunately is not chipped and had no id collar on when he ran off. If anyone has any info or any people that they can contact in the area for us it would be much appreciated, I want to have a happy Christmas and not a sad one! Thanks to everyone especially Hunter for all that has been done already. Curt and I have contacted many people already including the regional game office, landowners, farmers, and locals in town including the radio station. A reward will be paid for his safe return. Bullitt is liver roan patched and ticked with a solid liver head, I will upload a pic tomorrow, Jon 423-421-2751

Lost Gsp

sorry about your dog,

my only contribution to this is that I was there on Wed. and hunted from end to end and did not see him.

good luck - hopefully someone has picked him up and will be looking for you. have you tried lost and found on craigs list?

lost dog

Jon
I’m very sorry to hear of your lost dog , I’ve been there it is very devastating , I wanted to say that if you haven’t thought to contact the local vets office I had a English pointer run off years ago and he ended up with some local farmer who was good enough to contact the local vets , they had my info and I was able to be reunited with him , he had traveled almost 4 miles from where I was hunting and crossed a 4 lane highway untouched , I hope and pray you and your Son are reunited with him , please keep us posted , best of luck Sean

I had an experience like this when I was a little kid. I know exactly what your little boy is goin through. I'll never forget it. We looked all day and night. Finally my dad and I decided to pray about it, and almost immediately when we were done praying to Jesus the dog showed up to us. Keep hoping and keep praying. Hope you find the dog!

Lost dog

Hope you find him. I believe it's Pertsmart that offers nylon collars with your dogs name and your phone number on them. You can order them online. One of by britts took off after deer last year and a farmer called me while I was still looking for the dog. Both of my dogs are chipped, but it was the collar that got him back. The collars are a lot cheaper than chipping.

GunDog supply and Lion County Supply both have good collars with brass ID tags.

But what would have been more of a help when this first happend was a tracking collar like a Garmin Asto.

Hope this all turns out OK in the end.

Thanks for the kind words, but it wasn't my dog. I went and helped looked for the dog, and was there when the guy caught the dog, but it wasn't mine. I just posted here in the hopes that someone would run across him. Nice looking shorthair though, it took quite a bit of deer sausage to lure him in. :)

Thanks for the kind words, but it wasn't my dog. I went and helped looked for the dog, and was there when the guy caught the dog, but it wasn't mine. I just posted here in the hopes that someone would run across him. Nice looking shorthair though, it took quite a bit of deer sausage to lure him in. :)

So he was found! That's great news V-John!!

Had one of my boys take off after a rabbit in Iowa while hunting my property. After about 15 minutes of not returning I began searching, fortunately it was early in the day. With no results for about an hour, I called some neighbors up and they came down with 4 wheelers and we searched all adjacent properties. I called the sheriff, the vet, went to closest gas station and posted notice. 8 hours had passed. With no success, I threw my coat on the ground(which does work) and figured he must be injured along a road, or worse. Began driving heading direction I last saw him running working the grid, talking to anyone I would see. Now dusk is setting in.
While approaching a neighbors house about 2 miles east of property, I saw this shorthair get up off their porch and saunter towards the road like he was picking up his bus. I'm thinking to myself "I didn't know Story's had shorthaaaiirrs..." As I'm thinking this, I realized it was Schultzie! He had latched on to the first human contact and stayed put until he saw dad's vehicle come down the road, as if to say "I've been here waiting for ya, what took you so long?"
Losing a dog is tough! Even harder in this situation, when it is not yours, someone else lost it, and it has been a week. Dogs are resilient creatures, we've all heard stories of them traveling hundreds of miles to be re-united with family. Faith, prayer, persistance and determination...you do your part, God will do His.

Back