Lost Brittany

Unfortunately my buddy has not recovered his dog. She was spotted a couple days after he lost her seemingly headed towards the Stockton area, but this was about 3 weeks ago.

This is a pretty terrible story how he lost her, but I share in interest to see if anyone has had a similar experience with their training collars.

This young dog was really coming into it the day she ran off. She had several points and her hunt drive was really progressing. Another buddy who I hunt with a lot has a Brittany from the same bloodline as this dog. She is tough dog to beat. After shooting a bird and praising his dog with the dead bird in hand, she jumped back from him suddenly as if she was getting shocked from the collar. This was a new Garmin collar he had bought this year and it comes with a bark limiter feature. My buddy had never used the feature and had it turned off from his receiver. His dog continued to yelp and started to run off from him. He could not figure out what the problem was and was left chasing his dog across the field until she was out of site. He thought maybe he accidentally hit the shock button on his collar the first time, but she clearly was getting a repeated shock. He suspects it had something to do with the bark limiter feature.

I can’t imagine the heart ache he felt. Has anyone heard of or experienced any kind of issue with a collar like this before?

I believe the Garmin had to recall their bark collars not too long ago. I would definitely call and ask, I doubt they will admit any wrong doing but they may be able to clear things up?

Rut

Back