Looking into a 16 side by side

AntiKode

I’ve got an old browning sweet 16 that I love and hold dear. But I’m looking into finding a side by side field gun so I can reload brass shells for it. I’ve been looking a while and honestly, I figured I’d just ask you guys what would be a good buy on one or what might be some good places to search for them on the web. Thanks,

P.S. Brass case recommendations are appreciated as well.

A couple of opinions. Aya made a knock off of the browning side by side. They made them in the late 60’s into the 80’s . Not expensive but good value. They called them the Matador. Brownings will be 2x or 3x more, and I can’t recall if browning made a 16 gauge sxs?
Another reasonable Spanish maker was Ugartachea (spelling!”?).
I am a big fan of English side by sides. Can get spendy fast. Fit is extremely important. Many were made 80 years ago and are still very safe. But folks were smaller back then. Stock fit is really important!
Lastly look at prewar German side by sides , they can be GREAT value. Again stock fit !

The Spaniards knocked off the English makers for a fraction of the cost; AYA, Ugartechea, Grulla, Garbi, Arrieta to name a few of the top makers. Ugartechea is probably considered the most Spanish gun for the $….I have 5, 3 of them
16’s. Great German and Italian double guns out there as well. Find a boxlock that fits you and you’re in biz! Good luck.

Last edited:
I’ve owned a Garbi.., a Grulla, a Win 21, & a NID in 16 gauge. Still own the 1926, Ithaca grade 3. It was the most consistent performer in my hands. Shoot RST 2.5 inch.

Last edited:
The first question has to be what is your budget? Is it $800? or $8,000? or $80,000?

If you max spend is going to be $1,000 no matter what, throwing out offerings that start at $4k or $5k isn't going to do you any good.

Apologize for the budget miscue. $2k is tops I think. But if Connecticut made a savage fox in 16, I’d likely spend the $4500 on it.

A couple of the less gussied up FAIR Isides are under or right at $2k and get good reviews.

My dad has used a Dickinson (turkish) 16 for the last 10 years or so and likes it a lot, his primary gun.

Seen several used Uggies in that range and they always get good reviews.

They don't show up in mass quantities, but if you peruse gunbroker, guninternational, and a handful of other online retailers you might stumble on to a German gun from the likes of Sauer, Merkel, Simson, Geco, etc. I bought an un-labeled German gun from 1919 a few years ago, guessing it was a Sauer action, then put together in a small shop. Engraved all over, horn butt and trigger guard, knockout wood, and I stole it basically (under $500), likely because the ad was very vague in its description. I took a chance and won.

Apologize for the budget miscue. $2k is tops I think. But if Connecticut made a savage fox in 16, I’d likely spend the $4500 on it.
Next question I would ask myself is, American classic? For that price point you could probably get a Sterlingworth, LC, Ithaca? The only problem with those are you might not find any locally to handle. If you are thinking about a new gun your probably looking at the Turkish guns. I personally am getting tired of buying a nice gun and beating it to a pulp in a few years. So I'm gravitating towards some of the older Spanish and Italian knockoff stuff though my luck with them has been hit and miss on the quality.

Next question I would ask myself is, American classic? For that price point you could probably get a Sterlingworth, LC, Ithaca? The only problem with those are you might not find any locally to handle. If you are thinking about a new gun your probably looking at the Turkish guns. I personally am getting tired of buying a nice gun and beating it to a pulp in a few years. So I'm gravitating towards some of the older Spanish and Italian knockoff stuff though my luck with them has been hit and miss on the quality.
I can agree with that. Field grade is the way. If I can’t find the right 16, I’ll end up with a 20.

The right 16 SxS, for me anyway, is the Merkel 1620. I bought one in 2003 and it has a pistol grip, slim forend, single trigger and 28" barrels choked IC/Mod. LOP was 13 7/8" which is just right for me with hunting clothes on. It weighs 6.2 lbs and is a true joy to carry and shoot. I'd like to have a Winchester Model 21 in 16 gauge, but I don't know that it would be a better, more efficient field gun than this 1620.

The right 16 SxS, for me anyway, is the Merkel 1620. I bought one in 2003 and it has a pistol grip, slim forend, single trigger and 28" barrels choked IC/Mod. LOP was 13 7/8" which is just right for me with hunting clothes on. It weighs 6.2 lbs and is a true joy to carry and shoot. I'd like to have a Winchester Model 21 in 16 gauge, but I don't know that it would be a better, more efficient field gun than this 1620.
I’ll buy every $2k 1620 you send my way. I’ll even take the ones that are missing half their triggers.

Loaded brass 20gauge Alcan cases in the 50’s, just before the introduction of plastic cases. Used nitro/fiber wads, and Sealed the top wad with water glass. Unhappy with my Ithaca Flues performance using them (Alcan powder), I went to the pattern board…where I discovered extremely poor patterning performance. Went back to paper cases until Plastic came on the scene.

You can find a fair number of Elsie’s for that price.

I think for that money on a new gun sight unseen, I would order the Fair Iside as cheesy mentioned above. I think you can get 26" barrel. If I didn't care about barrel length and was going to beat it up, I'd go with the Tristar Bristol. The model 30 Ugartechea would be next only because I have the 28 gauge and it is a great gun.

The Tristar Bristol, in addition to chrome lined barrels, has “black chrome” on the barrel/rib exteriors. More durable than traditional “gun blue” finish (albeit more difficult to repair). Mine looks like it will take a licking, and keep on ticking in marsh and meadow. I agree with birddude, if you’re looking for a rainy day beater, check out the Tristar, compatible with Beretta Mobilchokes for reliable patterns.

Attachments

• 3B4C1D92-6206-4720-8646-CEAB926FB27D.jpeg
    3B4C1D92-6206-4720-8646-CEAB926FB27D.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 15
Back