Looking forward to Spring and quail buffers

southernblues

Just submitted maps to FSA office - looking forward to starting on the quail buffers this spring.

Also putting order in at Kansas State Forest site for my shrubs. They have a quail bundle that includes American Plum, Sumac and Peking Cotoneaster. Thinking about going with the Sandhill Plum as they don't grow as tall.

Anyone have luck with any specific shrub on quail habitat? Thinking about order 75 of them ($17 per 25) --

Burning, light discing and planting...busy spring!

hey all - anyone have any luck or preference to planting a specific shrub? I'm close to placing an order (over 100) of seedlings and debating on american plum vs sandhill

Sand plums can't be beat! Cotoneaster is good. I'm starting to have some problems with fragrant sumac spreading. It's fire tolerant and a strong resprouter, so it can become a problem. If you plant in small thickets with the plums knowing that they will fill in and spread, you can make little clumps of about 5 of you bare root seedlings and make 15 thickets with the 75 plants. Other possibilities would be golden currant, choke cherry, American plum, and elderberry.

Last edited:
I just placed my order with the Missouri Dept. of Conservation for 2 quail cover bundles and 2 bundles each of silky dogwood and false indigo. The quail cover bundles contain Aromatic Sumac, Blackberry, False Indigo, Roughleaf Dogwood, and Wild Plum. This will be my second season of planting quail cover bundles and last year I had pretty good success with 'em, and the prices are very reasonable. The quail bundles were 35.00 each for 75 seedlings and the Dogwood and False Indigo bundles were 8 bucks each for 25 seedlings of each.

Hi Jaytee! Glad you made it!!! In Kansas, the dogwood and False Indigo cause some problems just like the sumac can. They have a tendency to grow in solid, leaving little nesting/brood-rearing cover. A goal should be to have thickets every 100 yards or so. The axiom of "quail should never be more than 50 yards from a thicket 50 feet across" is a good standard.

Oops, my bad. Never thought about those being a problem. If anyone is interested in buying seedlings, you can go online to Missouri Dept. of Conservations website and find the seedling catalog. They've got lots of plants to choose from but they sell out fairly quick so I wouldn't wait too long. Try this website addy. www.mdc.mo.gov/7294.

Back