looking for some advice on Womens apparel and gun

Spence

So my gf wants to get out pheasant hunting with me a couple times a year, took her our Duck and Goose hunting this past weekend and she killed her first duck and first goose, needless to say I was a very proud guy!!

What I'm looking for is some advice on where to get her a decent pair of brush pants and a vest. Looked at Cabelas and Bass Pro, could get her into Kids stuff but of course the quality isn't the best with those.

Also she shot one of my many BPS's (Love that gun) duck hunting and did really well with it. It's a little longer than she would like but we made due in the duck blind. It's a little easier for her to shoulder when she knows the birds were coming in. I figure for pheasant hunting thats gonna pose a problem for her due to havin to get it up quicker, and carrying it around all day. I'd really like to keep her in a 12ga, so any ideas?

Thanks!!

First off congrats....Secondly, take a few hours and take her to BPS or Cabela's so she can shoulder the guns to see what fits her the best. I'm sure everybody will throw out guns that you should buy for her but she needs to decide what feels best for her. As far as clothes my wife is not quite 5'2" and she gets most of her hunting clothes from the boys sections. She hasn't had really any issues with quality or durability so far. Good luck and enjoy the time in the field together. :D

Here's an idea at Cabelas for pants and a vest.
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...arentType=index&parentId=cat470177&id=0073538

As for a gun if you want her to stay with a 12 ga. I would look at a lightweight gas operated auto with no more than a 26" barrel. I think Beretta makes something that would work well. The gas operation will reduce the recoil for her.

Good luck and it's great she is into hunting with you. My wife never had an interest.

I and my wife wear gortex rain gear pants for pheasant hunting, it blocks the wind, keeps you dry, and you can put different layers on underneath depending on the temperature. There may be something better but the goretex works for hunting as well as fishing and any other rainy/wet times outside.

As far as the gun my wife shoots a 391 Beretta (I do as well), it's light and well balanced for mounting. Make sure though that she gets one that fits her and feels good, that is the most important thing. Pay close attention to the comb location on the stock, I shoot a sport model with a higher comb, I can't hit anything with a field grade stock. Have her practice mounting the gun at home with hunting clothes on (it's out with the left hand and THEN into the shoulder with the right hand (if right handed)).

Good luck.

391 great gun be sure to have it fit to her by a good gun fitter. Guns off the shelf usually do not fit ladies even close. Clothing you might try she safari.com.Some of the ladies that I hunt with buys from there.

Woman Hunter

So my gf wants to get out pheasant hunting with me a couple times a year, took her our Duck and Goose hunting this past weekend and she killed her first duck and first goose, needless to say I was a very proud guy!!

What I'm looking for is some advice on where to get her a decent pair of brush pants and a vest. Looked at Cabelas and Bass Pro, could get her into Kids stuff but of course the quality isn't the best with those.

Also she shot one of my many BPS's (Love that gun) duck hunting and did really well with it. It's a little longer than she would like but we made due in the duck blind. It's a little easier for her to shoulder when she knows the birds were coming in. I figure for pheasant hunting thats gonna pose a problem for her due to havin to get it up quicker, and carrying it around all day. I'd really like to keep her in a 12ga, so any ideas?

Thanks!!

Lucky guy! You've a nice girlfriend who wants to hunt with you. Gun-wise, I suggest a double with short barrels -- 24 or 26" -- and an aluminum receiver. A break action gun is much shorter overall and the shorter barrels lessen overall weight and weight beyond the fore end hand making carrying much lighter. Winchester, Browning, and Beretta all make 6 pound doubles.

Break actions are shorter and can be lighter but they also kick harder than an auto. All things that need to be taken into account.

If she tolerates 12 gauge recoil fine then an AL391 or Benelli Montefeltro is the way I'd go. The 391 is a bit easier on the shoulder.

If she doesn't like recoil and want's something really light to carry, I'd look at a franchi Al48 with a 26" barrell. Only made in 20 gauge anymore but that will do the job at reasonable ranges.

Check out Ugly Dog or She Safari for hunting clothing designed for women.

Gun fit is the most important thing. I had a smith shorten a gun and put a good recoil absorbing pad on the gun that I let my long time girlfriend now wife use. It cost me about $75 but since it fit her better she shot better and that made us both happy.
I tried saving money by buying mens clothing and boots but in the long run I should have ponied up the cash and got her woman's boots, pants. vests and coats. She has them all now and we still have the other stuff that she won't wear and I can't wear because it's to small.
We bought her boots at Cabelas and I can't remember where we bought the other stuff.
The one thing that you want her to be is comfortable. If they aren't comfortable they won't be happy and trust me, you want them happy.:D:D
If my wife is warm, dry and her clothing and boots fit and look good then she has a good day.:thumbsup:

Good luck

The 391 is a fantastic gun. My wife has had a Benelli M1, a 390 Beretta, a Super X2 Win., a SP10 Remington(still has it, couldn't take it from her for nothing). Now she is shooting a Weatherby SA-08 12ga. VERY! light weight, very soft recoil and thin four arm that fits her smaller hands. The gun has been flawless for two full season's so far. It has beautiful wood and is furnished with two gas piston's for utmost reliability. One for the lightest 12ga loads one can shoot, the other for loads as large as 17/8oz 3" turkey loads. A near copy of the 391 Beretta that is real quality made. Picked it up on www.gunbroker.com for $400.00 plus shipping and transfer fee BRAND NEW. I have had many a guns, more then the average guy. This is no POS like many copies..TRUST ME. You don't feel bad cutting down the stock to fit her on a 4-5 hundred dollar gun, instead of a 9-12 hundred dollar Beretta 391.

grouse-walk-9-22-08-6-1.jpg

grouse-walk-9-22-08-5-1.jpg

pix432770390.jpg

pix432770546.jpg

pix432770796.jpg

As far as clothes, help her pick out something warm & dry but let her choose her own style and size. she is a women and if something is not fitting or warm enough. You could pay hell. LOL

onpoint

Last edited:
Back