Looking for opinions; possible case of kent FastLead

acarroline

I've shot many types of pheasant loads in the past and tried the Kent Fast Lead #5's shot, 2 3/4 length, 1 3/8 load. Really liked this shell for knockdowns on high passer's as well as traditional shots behind a dog tracking away. Similar to the Federal premuim PF's which I've mostly carried in the past, but a little less expensive. Did not have as good of results with the Runnings Fiocchi shells, which are much lower cost, but it could be entirely user error:))

Thoughts on this shell? Comparison with other shells listed?

Any ideas on where to find a case near the Aberdeen, SD area?

You might want to check into the Polymag 60x made by polywad. You can find them on the Polywad web site. I used them for the first time in So. Dakota this year & the results were simply amazing. 13 of 15 birds (5 day limit) were taken on the first shot.

I would second the opinion on Poly-wad and RST shells. I have used a variety of the short 21/2" 20's and 12's in both brands, along with the 60x shells to great advantage. All american made and high quality. Order online.

?

I've never heard of these polymag 60x shells. Can you get them around SD anywhere? I would like to try a box before thinking about getting a case.

A bit off topic here... but a case of shells? At a 3 bird per day limit and a 5 day hunt, a couple boxes max. Of course, I always take 4-5 boxes out and it's more weight than I need to carry out there. Are you planning ahead for price increases in the years to come and stocking up, buying for several people?

Polywad's contact info is - web site - www.polywad.com - Phone # 800-998-0669. The shells are simply amazing!! You will shoot fewer shells because you will hit most of the birds on the first shot.

Case?; and Polywad reply

Why a case:
I live in NE South Dakota, not traveling for an out-of-state hunt. Pretty avid hunter, always have friends that need to "borrow" some shells, and like to have a decent stock on hand as they will not go bad between this year and next.

I would like to try these polywad shells, just don't want to order a case without trying a box first. Anyone know where you can get a box near Aberdeen?

I do not believe they sell them in stores. You might want to check with the company. There is a four box min. order.

Hate to say this but I have patterned the Polymag shells versus Kent Fast lead and in my gun Kent hands down was far superior. I would suggest getting a box of both and patterning them in your gun to see what works best for you.

I've shot many types of pheasant loads in the past and tried the Kent Fast Lead #5's shot, 2 3/4 length, 1 3/8 load. Really liked this shell for knockdowns on high passer's as well as traditional shots behind a dog tracking away. Similar to the Federal premuim PF's which I've mostly carried in the past, but a little less expensive. Did not have as good of results with the Runnings Fiocchi shells, which are much lower cost, but it could be entirely user error:))

Thoughts on this shell? Comparison with other shells listed?

Any ideas on where to find a case near the Aberdeen, SD area?

Have you checked Kesslers in Aberdeen? They have good prices on shells.

I believe on the Poly wad, or RST, site they have a retail store that they refer you to for less than case orders. I think Lion Country Supply may stock them as well. All will mail order except to Illinios.

A bit off topic here... but a case of shells? At a 3 bird per day limit and a 5 day hunt, a couple boxes max. Of course, I always take 4-5 boxes out and it's more weight than I need to carry out there. Are you planning ahead for price increases in the years to come and stocking up, buying for several people?

Buying them at the case price gets you a discount of $1 per box, but also stocking up is not a bad thing, there are scary LIBERALS out there that want to take away our guns, ammo, hunting land, etc etc etc. Buy shells and buy often.

So I got a question for the gung ho folks that are high on the Poly Mag shells-Have you guys actually patterened these shells against anything else up to say 40 yards ever? I bought the Poly Mag shells a few years ago after seeing them so greatly advertised in the Lion Country supply catalog. Sounded great, but when I patterned them out to 40 yards they were flat out poor using a modified choke. They may work fine at closer yardages with pointing dogs and closer shots but the proof was on the paper out to 40 yards- their advertising did not live up to it's claims in my gun.

Back