Looking for new Hunting pants

Have been using the Columbia "Briarshun" pants for several years(multiple pairs) best pants I've ever used. They have discontinued them and so I'm on the hunt for a high quality replacement. Side note: I wear the Filson Tin cloth pants late season and they are great but not for early season. Would like some advise without having to buy multiple brands/styles to find something that is a durable!!

Brush pants

I use Wranglers & when the going gets tough I slip on a pair of Filson chaps. Works for me.

Have been using the Columbia "Briarshun" pants for several years(multiple pairs) best pants I've ever used. They have discontinued them and so I'm on the hunt for a high quality replacement. Side note: I wear the Filson Tin cloth pants late season and they are great but not for early season. Would like some advise without having to buy multiple brands/styles to find something that is a durable!!

Isn't that the Chits!:mad: My favorite go-to pair of brush pants was dying on me last season (too many miles and too many fences). When I went to replace them, I found out that they had been discontinued also.:( I ordered a new pair from Cabelas, but haven't put the miles on them yet to say whether or not they are any good. But I'll also be saving the old pair until they are completely unsalvageable, which looks to be soon.

Sorry I couldn't offer any helpful advice, but I feel your pain, man.:cool:

FWIW, I find that I am much more comfortable walking in brush pants with an articulated knee.

I got a new pair of brush pants from Calelas last year--I love them and they STOP #5 shot from about 35 to 40 yrds:eek:--hurts but it stops them.:10sign:

A mention of Shyda's always brings a smile.
Fella I know needed a new pair of suspenders and we were near Shyda's one day, so in we hied. He bought a pair from ol' Doris herself.
Came time one morning in Iowa he needed the new pair pre pheasant work and hook them on he did.
But, after tugging a bit and appearing a tad perplexed at the resulting difficulty to connect to the front buttons, I noted to him, after watching a bit, that they were wader suspenders.:)
Yes, Shyda's always brings a smile when I hear them mentioned.

Irregardless of weather, briars, multiflowery, or whatever, I prefer the lightest weight LL Bean hunting britches available.
Scratches result but...the plusses outweigh the greenbrier tracks.

I know not the answer asked for, but I prefer Wrangler jeans with chaps over the top. I've tried multiple brands of 'brush pants' and they never fit me right, always seemed to rub my inner thigh wrong. My trusty ol' Wranglers always fit though.

I like Cabelas "early season upland pants" for $49.99. They are roomy and light weight. If it's wet ya might want to get some Gortex lined pants as noted below. I would find my Gortex lined pants too heavy for early season though.

Last edited:
I have a pair of Gore-tex pants from LL Bean and HIGHLY recommend them. They are comfortable in warm or cold weather, wet or dry and they are wind proof. They are one of my best investments. You want good pants and boots.

Browning Upland Pants

I have these shown on this Uplanders site. This is my 4th season on them. No complaints. I just have 1 small tear in the overlay from a good run-in with a barb-wired fence.

I have hunted early season in 80+ degrees (ND Opener 2 years ago) but the majority of my hunting is late season. I don't seem to have a problem with being too hot or too cold in them.

They are 1 size too big for me which I like. I wear a pair of running shorts underneath...just in case I have fallen through thin ice of a slough and have to thaw out.

The previous pair I still have as back up are from Scheels. The material doesn't seem as comfy (almost abrasive). I won't want to go commando in them. They seem quality and stand up against a lot of wear and tear too.

Carharts in warm weather.

Cabelas Gore tex hunting pant as the season rolls on to cooler, wetter weather.

I agree.. I have had briarshun pants and switched to the Cabelas gore tex pants. Light weight and hold up good to abuse. Had mine for 6 yrs and no leaks or major wear issues. I wear them with just a pair of long johns and am a happy hunter!

kick 'em up

Back