Looking for info on the Alma/Holdredge area in south central

tnsetterhunter

I hunted the Alma/Holdrege area for about 30 years but haven't been since 2019. Most of my contacts there have pasted away. I am planning to make a trip to hunt there in late November. Anyone have an update on conditions? Also, would like to find someone to hunt a few days.

I hunted the Alma/Holdrege area for about 30 years but haven't been since 2019. Most of my contacts there have pasted away. I am planning to make a trip to hunt there in late November. Anyone have an update on conditions? Also, would like to find someone to hunt a few days.
Be really close to there. Leaving on black Friday sand headed that way. Where you at in Tn?

The last time I was hunting that area was 62, 63 so it s probably a little stale. LOL

My friends near Benkelman say it is really Poor there. Same my contacts in Hill City ks. But if you have an “in” on private ground, I would try it. At least It wont be crowded

Haven’t been in a couple years but was very poor for pheasants than. Friend went last year and said it was worse. That said there wasn’t many hunters so it will be peaceful. When I say poor another hunter said he saw 2 birds yesterday and he was going back to hunt that piece because he thought one might have been a rooster.

It was poor 3 years ago when I was there. A week of hunting pretty hard with 3 guys and 2 dogs produced 2 quail. That's it. 2 years before we were in the same area, hunting the same spots and had a banner hunt. The drought definitely hammered the birds and habitat.

We did it was awful. Just north in Adairville KY you could find a covey of birds pretty easily. Got some more land to try this year so we will see

I've never hunted Nebraska but the area you posted about caught my attention -- Both of my grandparents (both passed away in 2000 and 2003) - grew up in the Holdredge area and both of their families had farms there - My grandpa wanted to take over his but when his dad passed an aunt forced the sale so she could cash out -- Anyways sounds like a crappy year to hunt - but if anyone on this thread would like to link up in a better year I'd certainly appreciate it --- I'd have to do some digging to find where both of their homeplaces were -- Their last names were Ferry and Slater. Both of them probably long gone from the area - but the fella that said they were there in the 60s may have heard -- who knows.

GBR

I've never hunted Nebraska but the area you posted about caught my attention -- Both of my grandparents (both passed away in 2000 and 2003) - grew up in the Holdredge area and both of their families had farms there - My grandpa wanted to take over his but when his dad passed an aunt forced the sale so she could cash out -- Anyways sounds like a crappy year to hunt - but if anyone on this thread would like to link up in a better year I'd certainly appreciate it --- I'd have to do some digging to find where both of their homeplaces were -- Their last names were Ferry and Slater. Both of them probably long gone from the area - but the fella that said they were there in the 60s may have heard -- who knows.

GBR
I really like the area. We stayed with a local farmer for years. It was always a good trip. Most of my crew cant hunt any longer. Maybe next year will be better and we can meet for a hunt.

I really like the area. We stayed with a local farmer for years. It was always a good trip. Most of my crew cant hunt any longer. Maybe next year will be better and we can meet for a hunt.

I'd seriously like that -- Him and my dad are the reasons I like the outdoors (hunting/fishing) -- I inherited some of his guns when he passed. They (my grandparents) were essentially forced to move away I think around WWii or so to find a job after he lost the farm and ended up in the Wichita area working on Aircraft. Heard some of his stories about growing up there and I think when a family member of his died some 30 yrs ago him and a couple brothers went back and found their homeplace. The last one is in the stages of passing now - but guessing some other extended family know where it would be. Anyways would be interesting to see the area anyways by someone that knows it somewhat. I live near Topeka so it's not too bad of a drive for me.

Sounds good, We hunted with Jim Steadman for many years that lived just west of Kansas city, He was an Orleans native and it was fun seeing him get to visit. It is always a good trip.

It will be LOTS of walking with very very few opportunities for pheasants. The hatch was poor, almost no hens to produce chicks. Passed though the area last week on the way to South Dakota. Good luck to everyone.

Just got another report from Nebraska and they’re knocking the bottom out of pheasant and quail. Not sure where
Boy I'd like to know where! No one that I have spoken with are seeing any pheasants or quail! I spent opening weekend in Iowa and have hunted Nebraska 6 times since I came home. I averaged a little over five miles a day and have killed exactly 2 rooster and lost one. I've seen 2 other roosters and 2 hens. Some private, mostly public. Lots of cover in some areas with corn, beans, and Milo for food but no birds. We had a drought a year ago last summer and a really hard winter. I hunted a quarter section in Perkins county that only I have permission on. Crop-on three sides, great cover and water but no birds. I haven't seen a quail in Nebraska this year!
I will keep on hunting for something to do and to keep me in shape for SD and Iowa. Looks like I will be traveling a lot this year, just like last year!

Back