Looking at Over/Under 16 ga. opinions

Yes when I go out of state hunting I like to bring along a back up of the same gauge. Just easier, budget not a problem but I probably wont be shooting it much just use as a back up. In saying that Cabela's had their CZ Teal on sale for 549 with fixed barrels IC/Mod. Ordered one and picked it up yesterday. Feels fine looks good think I'll take it out tomorrow and see how it shoots.
Wise move and your logic makes sense. I too have the same gauge as a backup when out of state or 2-3 day hunt trip. The CZ has the reputation of being a reliable gun. My backup 16 is an old Western Field pump (browning A5 design) that I started with when I turned 15 years old. Had it re-work few years back and now shoot like the old days.

Last edited:
great gun!!! Citori 16 gauge feather is my favorite gun. I used it for just about every type of small game hunting. Too light for waterfowling and turkey but great for everything else especially phesants.

Already have the new Browning A5 sweet 16 but have been also looking into getting a 16 over/under. The three I've been looking at have been the Citori Hunter, Franchi SL and the Stevens 555E. Anyone have any experience with any of these?

Yes when I go out of state hunting I like to bring along a back up of the same gauge. Just easier, budget not a problem but I probably wont be shooting it much just use as a back up. In saying that Cabela's had their CZ Teal on sale for 549 with fixed barrels IC/Mod. Ordered one and picked it up yesterday. Feels fine looks good think I'll take it out tomorrow and see how it shoots.

I always bring along a spare shotgun when I go hunting, even if it is a local/day hunt. So far I have not needed the back-up myself, but I have let others use it when their shotguns stopped running. Bringing a shotgun in the same gauge is just practical, so I don't have to carry more shells.

lubers, I just got back from a 4-day hunt today. This trip I hunted with the Browning new A5 Sweet Sixteen, but had a Browning Citori Superlight along as my back-up gun.

I've used Superlight's for many years in 12 gauge, and then got one in 16 gauge a few years ago. The straight stocks work well for me, but not everyone likes them. I actually had the Superlight before I got the Sweet Sixteen.

My 2 cents...

I've owned several 16 gauge Browning O/U's. But, my absolute favorite and the gun I shoot 98% of the time is my Citori 525.

I also have BPS, Old A5's and a new A5...all 16 gauge, but the 525 is my go to gun. I also really like shooting my Jap A5, but I'm not as good with it as I am with my 525.

Fun stuff...buy as many shotguns as your budget allows!

I have four 16's: 1967 A5, New A5, 2004 Browning Citori Feather, and Franchi Instinct SLX. You said OU's so I'll speak to that. The 2004 Feather was my father's and passed to me upon his death. It is a fantastic shotgun. Beautiful and somewhat rare if you can find one; however, it kicks like a mule. The Franchi is a great gun as well. Light and quick and shoots fine. I would recommend both.

Overall here's how I rate my 16"s:
2004 Citori Feather: never for sale, locked in the safe for my grandson (2 years old)​
Franchi SLX: shooter, great field gun​
1967 A5: shooter and love the gun but headed to the grandson at some point​
New A5: great field gun and shooter...in my rotation of field guns during the season (yes I have a problem)​

Took my new A5 out last Wednesday for a hunt with a friend on a game farm he set up. Gun shoots fantastic loves the way shoots, shot at three birds, four shots and my dog brought back all three. I'll be taking out the CZ tomorrow morning with the same guy he had so much fun he called and asked if I could go out again with him. So we'll see how it and I do in the morning.

Just got back from the morning hunt, took my son in law along so there was three of us with three dogs. He put out 6 birds again and we shot all six. Kicked up another three birds that either were to low to shoot or flew towards the lodge so we didn't shoot. I tell you that CZ shot great, for the money I think you can't go wrong with it. Preformed flawlessly we'll see long term now, for a back up gun I think it will fill in nicely.

Back