Longest Spurs & Tails?

shorthairs4life

Let's see what we have out there.

I'll go first

Longest tail=26.5" (Minnesota bird-2009)

Longest spur=5/8" (Minnesota bird-2009)

Please specify state you harvested bird and year.

P.S. Longest tail in Wisconsin for me was this past weekend 23.5"

Don't know any measurements but this is probably my best spur. Wisconsin bird.

His feet were much larger than most birds I kill and so was his body.

IMG_7976-1.jpg

...Longest Spur

Bought 80 acres in S E Iowa 10 years ago. First time I hit it was mid December of that year and I only saw 1 bird...MAJESTIC! 3/4" spurs, 28" tail feathers, 42" length and 32" wing span. Area not really known for pheasant, only pressure on this field till I bought it was from wild predators.
Had 2 shorthairs on the ground, older one picked up scent and followed for about 30 yards in brome. She locked up, my young pup(at that time) came up and honored. This was first time I saw young one point. They are both gone now...they live on in my heart and forever in that memory. This once in a lifetime trophy adorns the wall above the fireplace and serves as a monument to them. Miss them both...
Lady Luck April 2, 1994- April 16, 2010
Angel vom Riverwoods Feb. 1, 2000- March 29, 2005

Really feel bad for the guy on his misfortunes that happened. Could have prevented both by not following too close and a lanyard. Had bleep happen, crack Browning gun stock(Cost to replace $400, woodworking uncle repair, case of beer. You guess), lost dog out of state for 8 hours, dogs run in with pole cats(an extreme test to how much your dogs mean to you as you try to wash away the stench), spent the night in the back of my truck (only a Two Dog Night) in late November stuck on a "B Road", and the list goes on. No injury or loss of life. They are all lessons in life that develope character, that you can look back on with a smile cause you know how much you appreciate the whole picture of a time spent afield with your faithful campanion(s).
The final word for this guy with all that happened, having harvested a bird with this much majesty hands down... PRICELESS!

Even though Iowa may not have the pheasant numbers other states produce, it appears like Iowa is ahead in their genetics.
Bought a hat in a small town diner years ago with an embroidered rooster head that read "Iowa Big Cock Country"
Proof is in the tailfeathers.

Blonhaven Bird

Was at the hunt club recently and the owner was getting this one ready to send to the taxidermist.

Tail feathers were 29.5 inches. It was a bird they had sent to the club (domestic not sure it counts) but it was crazy to see a tail that big.

You started this thread, so we have to play by your rules...touche.

Calling for November blitzkrieg by the 3rd Reich to make another post on this thread

This Rooster has to be 24-25 inches!!!! 2011 Kansas!!!! Have 2 more in the freezer as well as him and just as big a tail or bigger, waiting for the Taxidermist!!! All taken in Kansas!!!

IMG_5570-1.jpg

I shot one today that had just over 1/2" spurs, but only 21" tail.
But what got my attension was how sharp the spurs where.

I have a few pics of some with good sized tails.

Shot in Woodstock IL 2003 23 inch tail

picture.php

SD 2007 23.5 inch tail

picture.php

Shot in SD 2010 24 inch tail--mounted. I have another picture of this one "in the field", after the shot of this guy too. I'll post it later.

picture.php

Tails cut off in this picture, sorry, SD 2009 22 inches

picture.php

Last edited:
It would be a privelege to share a picture of the bird with "purported 28" tailfeathers if some one could share how this is done. I've taken a picture with my phone and sent it to my e-mail, however I am somewhat technically challenged as to how I put it here.
Just to note, I've counted the visible bars(not moving the feathers that cover the base) and came up with 35

I forgot... Also wanted to say to B B... nice looking shorthair! I noticed you had red and blue on your tramsmitter(have same one) for two dogs and only one in picture. The birds are nice, but l'll bet(and he'll be the first to agree) he wouldn't have harvested them without the dog.

It would be a privelege to share a picture of the bird with "purported 28" tailfeathers if some one could share how this is done. I've taken a picture with my phone and sent it to my e-mail, however I am somewhat technically challenged as to how I put it here.
Just to note, I've counted the visible bars(not moving the feathers that cover the base) and came up with 35

When I entered a bird into a "long tail and spur" contest in SD they pulled the center tail feather and measured from tip to tip. If you don't pull the tail feather out you can expect the lower tip of the tail (feather quill) to be around 1.5 in to 1.75 in. This is to be included in the measurement.

As for pics, I save them in "my pictures" on my computer then upload them into my UPH profile "photos". --there's others on here that can probably tell you an easier way. Hope this helps:cheers:

I forgot... Also wanted to say to B B... nice looking shorthair! I noticed you had red and blue on your tramsmitter(have same one) for two dogs and only one in picture. The birds are nice, but l'll bet(and he'll be the first to agree) he wouldn't have harvested them without the dog.

Thank you and yes I have the 3 dog system, Black, Red and Blue for my 3 shorthairs!!! Dogs make it a perfect day whether you harvest birds or not, but it is hard to chase Birds without a dog or dogs!!

BleuBijou, I hope it is something in the water. I'm headed to Liberal in a week and would be thrilled to do half as well as you have done down there this year. Truly trophy birds.

birddog456 PM me and maybe we can figure out how to post that picture. No guarantees, computers and I don't get along either.LOL

BDC2

Last edited:
Back