Long Distance Traveling for Birds

You are correct
Salt could be a big problem. I might use POR on the frame before going into salt country. I would not be camping to necessarily save monies. Convenience to hunting land, grilling and cooking, and camp fires.. Those would add to the hunting experience...

Last edited:
A few thoughts/issues I have found. I think it might depend on the state and area that make it logistical. I have a 18' toy hauler and it is great for National Forest grouse hunting as you can camp anywhere in N.F.. If in county or state forests you need to find designated camping spots and there are few. Campgrounds are an option if open. Thats WI. where I live and Birdman travels to. Birdman, is that your situation?
I believe Iowa closes their state campgrounds in October but you can use them, no electric, etc but no big deal.
Anyone know about South Dakota? It would have to be BLM land, right?
You can camp on any public land anywhere pretty much.

That’s why I like you Goose, “pretty much” . My area down this way I wouldn’t recommend it. The older I get the less I like to set up camp.. I don’t mind the roach coach motel one bit as long as dog friendly
I get that.Camping can be a hassle. These little motels are really getting expensive recently! I would never put my dog in a cage, so I look for dog friendly accommodations.

You are correct
Salt could be a big problem. I might use POR on the frame before going into salt country. I would not be camping to necessarily save monies. Convenience to hunting land, grilling and cooking, and camp fires.. Those would add to the hunting experience...
I would be more worried about salt holes in the aluminum skin from galvanic action.

Birdman,

This season we stayed in a buddies OVRLND camper/truck topper. We had a few nights of -5 or more below and were able to stay pretty damn warm for a popup camper. Works great for guys not looking to ruin their gas milage and want to hunt campsite to campsite. I just ordered mine last week!

Birdman,

This season we stayed in a buddies OVRLND camper/truck topper. We had a few nights of -5 or more below and were able to stay pretty damn warm for a popup camper. Works great for guys not looking to ruin their gas milage and want to hunt campsite to campsite. I just ordered mine last week!

Boomer, That is a great design for sure. Very quick setup, take down etc. I would have to buy a pickup to use one of these. I have a custom pop-up now. But with the typical pop-up you typically have to worry about rain, snow. With mine I don't want to take it down if the canvas is wet. This design may have nylon sides, then you wouldn't have to worry about it being wet.

I did 2 big trips this year (> 500 miles one way).
One we rented a house for a week, the other an AirBnB house for a week.
Both worked on well. You could hunt solo with your dog and meet back at night,
eat a good home-cooked dinner, a hot shower and then relax on the couch with friends and dogs.
Each person was responsible for cooking one dinner which worked out well,
plus eating pheasants to stay within the possession limit.

I did 2 big trips this year (> 500 miles one way).
One we rented a house for a week, the other an AirBnB house for a week.
Both worked on well. You could hunt solo with your dog and meet back at night,
eat a good home-cooked dinner, a hot shower and then relax on the couch with friends and dogs.
Each person was responsible for cooking one dinner which worked out well,
plus eating pheasants to stay within the possession limit.
Sounds like a great hunt.

I owned 3 Airbnb's for 4 years and was a Superhost all 4 years. They have pluses for sure. But this year there were none close in ND. Most of my trips are 800-1000 miles one way.

Last edited:
Last season I planned a 7 day public land/ditch hunt. I wrestled with going from home in SW Utah to SD towing my 26’ 4 season trailer or driving just the truck and staying in motels.

Towing the trailer meant more fuel cost and lower lodging cost. Driving the truck by itself meant lower fuel cost and higher lodging cost. The math said it was basically a wash for those two factors. i chose the truck/motel option and stayed in the same place for the trip

It probably ended up costing a little more with the truck/motel option taking into account eating out most meals and an extra motel night getting there and back. Also lack of flexibility in relocating to try hunting other areas resulted in lots more driving around looking for birds.

I’m thinking about next season and a 2 + week trip hitting SD & ND. After my last trip i’m thinking the trailer will be a better option.

Tom, Now you are onto it. It is not about saving money. It is about flexibility in moving to different areas and not having to worry about motels etc. Actually in the long run, it will be more expensive to camp, if u buy a camper. But quality of hunts could be the huge benefit... I sure hope so.

Last edited:
I'm going to give my opinion. Camping saves a lot of money and time.You camp where you hunt. I like to have a shower and television. My dog does not stay outside in a cage, or a kennel. My dog sleeps on the motel bed. Motels are more comfortable compared to camping.Restraunts close by.Bars and banks. Much more fuel spent in motel stays!! I would say I've moteled more than camped.

Camping is great as long as the weather cooperates. Try to find a reasonable rental in the country, just walk out the door and start hunting. Might take a few years to find, but they are out there. Ask at bars, breakfast joints and gas stations. Look at the message boards in those places. Always be a good neighbor if you find a place. It makes for some great stories and keep a hunting log. If the membership on here collected stories and wrote a book, we'd have a best seller. ;)

I'm probably the winner(?) for long distance hunts. I think I have tried it all , motels, cabins, houses, BnB, and for the last 2 years it has been a 4 season camper. Bottom line is that each of those birds costs a small fortune but everyone is worth it. I found the camper to be my best friend, no more crappy motels where I am afraid to sleep on the bed because I think my dog blanket is cleaner. Nor will I find one of my dogs eating rat poison in a bedroom closet. Sure the gas mileage sucks, but the convience is worth every penny. I mostly stay in small town fairgrounds, its cheap and they have electricity along with bathrooms and showers most of the time. I dry camp since I hunt late and it is often well below zero so I don't risk freezing up when pulling between sites. Also I sold my first 2 trailers for what I paid for them and used each for 3 years. I have 2 Lances now, one at home and another I left where I hunt. Was warm down to minus 25 in them, in fact my wife goes with me and she only complains a little.

Swamp, I'm sure you travel longer distances than any of us for sure. If I owned a pickup, Lance would be in my radar. I like the idea of a smaller camper. I can use it for camping throughout the year, after hunting season. They have adequate room to be comfortable in. I can leave camper set up and drive off to hunt. I'm sure when I get this setup, I will find problems with it. But I am like you those cheap motels are typically nasty and have terrible odors. I also don't have to worry about the drunks waking me up at 2... I live out in the country and I am not used to noises at night.

Birdman my wife and I spent 4 months traveling around ina 20 foot trailer this fall/winter, half hunting and half doing dog agility. We would have never made it in motel rooms . Did get a little crowded when my bitch came in season and my 2 males lost their brains for a couple days but way better than a motel.

I have a Nash which is 4 season and is reliable in freezing temps. Just leave the furnace on 50 when you go out and the systems have stayed liquid (so far). I've been looking and it appears there are lots of town and county parks scattered around the areas I'd want to try. Park it, drop the trailer and hunt the local area then move on. No worries about dog friendliness either.

Swamp, I admire that you can do 2 adults and 3 dogs in 20 feet. We got stuck in a day and a half of really bad weather and that 26 feet got really small fast :)

Back