Lodging and guides

gewilber

Hi, I'm planning a trip to SD for pheasants the first week of hunting season and would appreciate any advice as to what area to hunt, where to stay, and what guides you might recommend.

I am a senior and will be hunting with my son, nephew and Guinness (chocolate lab). We are all experienced hunters and will be driving from Denver. I know that motels and hotels are probably booked, but would appreciate any recommendations, as well as any thoughts re lodges or farm families that might provide lodging and hunting on their land. We would like a guide for the first three days and then hunt a couple of days by ourselves. this is our first trip to SD and would appreciate any other advice or thoughts you might have.

Thanks for your assistance George

be patient

saw you took my advice about posting in these forums. great be patient , holiday weekend, south dakota guys are out fishing for eyes, might take a few days to get a responce:thumbsup:

Hi, I'm planning a trip to SD for pheasants the first week of hunting season and would appreciate any advice as to what area to hunt, where to stay, and what guides you might recommend.

I am a senior and will be hunting with my son, nephew and Guinness (chocolate lab). We are all experienced hunters and will be driving from Denver. I know that motels and hotels are probably booked, but would appreciate any recommendations, as well as any thoughts re lodges or farm families that might provide lodging and hunting on their land. We would like a guide for the first three days and then hunt a couple of days by ourselves. this is our first trip to SD and would appreciate any other advice or thoughts you might have.

Hi George from another George!!

Please understand that the first week of the season is when everyone comes. I would recommend that you consider waiting until mid November. Much less pressure. Private land is tough to find unless you are willing to pay. SD does have a lot of public land that can be productive. I have a friend that has a farm with some great bird numbers but it is a pay to hunt situation. I can put you in touch with him if you would like. He is located about 80 miles SW of Aberdeen.

Thanks for the reply. I realize the opening is very crowded, but have little choice. I don't mind paying to hunt if the habitat is good. The problem is that we also need a place to stay.

thanks again.

idea

George,
you might try the hunt builder forum on this sight, to find more hunters to meet the criteria. hope this helps.:)

gewilber

ok ,
why you are going to south dakota? yae they have great bird number. ne corner of your state has good numbers of phz too. this sight has great numbers of phz hunters, what can it hurt you to hook up with other hunters, in south dakota, for the best hunt of your life? you cant shoot or what? just kidding lol. if your looking for a hunt with friend or family ,totaly undersantandably. please dont quit the sight:):):):thumbsup:

ok ,
why you are going to south dakota? yae they have great bird number. ne corner of your state has good numbers of phz too. this sight has great numbers of phz hunters, what can it hurt you to hook up with other hunters, in south dakota, for the best hunt of your life? you cant shoot or what? just kidding lol. if your looking for a hunt with friend or family ,totaly undersantandably. please dont quit the sight:):):):thumbsup:
First as it relates to CO the pheasant hunting here is not very good and very limited public land or private land is available. Too close to Denver. We usually hunted in Kansas but it too has limited land available in the western sections.

As to hunting with strangers. I have been shot twice by other hunters in the party that I was not familiar with. As to whether I can shoot or not, what does that have to do with anything?

First as it relates to CO the pheasant hunting here is not very good and very limited public land or private land is available. Too close to Denver. We usually hunted in Kansas but it too has limited land available in the western sections.

As to hunting with strangers. I have been shot twice by other hunters in the party that I was not familiar with. As to whether I can shoot or not, what does that have to do with anything?

wow, i cant understand why you feel that way. just kidding lol. your points are valid and i can understand why, you dont want to hunt with strangers.
as far as co, north east co, has some fair bird numbers. your point about land access is noted. best of luck hope you get to hunt in south dakota.:thumbsup:

Last edited:

I think that Jmac was just messing about your shooting capabilities!. I understand about you not wanting to hunt with unfamiliar hunters but I have met some awesome, safe and ethical hunting buddies from this site. Keep chiming in and I'm sure that you can pick up an aditional hunter for your hunt that you can trust and feel safe hunting with! Good Luck..........:thumbsup:

crops

Hey George you hit the right site for help...great guys on here...my only input if possible...would be to be flexible on your trip timewise. As everyone knows...last year was so wet the crops were still in the field early on. We got our limit two days on public...one morning on private...get your atlas and spend some time driving early in the mornings . I didnt run into one group that was hunting where I wanted to hunt. If you read those maps...the minimal maintenance right of ways are available to hunt. A good way to do that is drop one guy and one dog off at one end...drive back around to the other and meet in the middle. Good Luck...Doug

Back