lightbulb turned on for new pup

c_d

Just this past weekend I saw the lightbulb click on for my new pup. She's my first bird dog and since we live in an urban area, she doesn't get a ton of field time. We have some grass areas, street pigeons that catch her curiosity, and lots of concrete. well, this past sunday we took her to a local spot which happens to be the nations largest dog park(23 acres). it was also the first time she's been off leash in an open area. Overall, she stayed within 10-20 yards, and we had pockets full of treats to keep her coming back and checking in.

Well, long story short, as soon as we got to a patch with a bunch of waist tall grass, instead of trotting around and sniffing the ground haphazardly for other dog scents, she bolted like a flash quartering back and forth, springing through the patches of grass, burying her nose deep into the clumps looking for something. then she'd bolt off side to side and do it again. My wife was blown away, and so was I to say the least. I couldn't wipe the grin off my face. For some, maybe it's no big deal and normal, but for my first bird dog, i was a proud papa. It was my first true glimpse of her genes really kicking in and I could see the little lightbulb in her head clicking on, telling her, this is what you're meant to be doing.

here's a pic. she'll be 5mos next tuesday.

She's a beauty. Good luck with her. I pray I never get bored with watching a dog work. It gives me goosebumps just thinking about it:)

Isn't it great when that bulb finally turns on?? I had a male Brittany back in the 90's that wouldn't retrieve. Finally when he was between 2 and 3 years old the bulb came on and he became the best and most dependable retrieving dog I've ever had. Good luck with the pup, she's a cutie.

CD, she really is cutie as George said, I also am one that loves to see those young dogs come to life and do what they bred to do. I have had Brittany's for 50 years no. The one I have now does stuff I never thought a bird dog would do. It was a whole new learning experience for me. I do hope your pup gives you a lot more surprises as you progress together......Bob

Beautiful and Intelligent Looking Dog

Just this past weekend I saw the lightbulb click on for my new pup. She's my first bird dog and since we live in an urban area, she doesn't get a ton of field time. We have some grass areas, street pigeons that catch her curiosity, and lots of concrete. well, this past sunday we took her to a local spot which happens to be the nations largest dog park(23 acres). it was also the first time she's been off leash in an open area. Overall, she stayed within 10-20 yards, and we had pockets full of treats to keep her coming back and checking in.

Well, long story short, as soon as we got to a patch with a bunch of waist tall grass, instead of trotting around and sniffing the ground haphazardly for other dog scents, she bolted like a flash quartering back and forth, springing through the patches of grass, burying her nose deep into the clumps looking for something. then she'd bolt off side to side and do it again. My wife was blown away, and so was I to say the least. I couldn't wipe the grin off my face. For some, maybe it's no big deal and normal, but for my first bird dog, i was a proud papa. It was my first true glimpse of her genes really kicking in and I could see the little lightbulb in her head clicking on, telling her, this is what you're meant to be doing.

here's a pic. she'll be 5mos next tuesday.

That is a beautiful Brittany. I too have one. Your dog's coming along perfectly according to her age. No hurry!

Do you have a plan for introducing her to gun fire? If you're interested, I will tell you how I did it and ended up with a dog who LOVES the sound of a shotgun going off.

Last edited:
Thanks for the kind words. Since she was really mouthy early on it was almost hard to see the cute side. That's getting much better now though. It was so cool to watch her go. I can only imagine what it'll be like when we get to more formal hunt training and birds are introduced.

for clarification, she's an ESS. parent's are local california dogs (Briar Ridge Cindy and Crosbear Parker), but she's got Sunrise dogs in her line, along with a couple FC AFC's in her great grandparents and even more farther back. it'll be fun to watch her grow.

Thanks for the kind words. Since she was really mouthy early on it was almost hard to see the cute side. That's getting much better now though. It was so cool to watch her go. I can only imagine what it'll be like when we get to more formal hunt training and birds are introduced.

for clarification, she's an ESS. parent's are local california dogs (Briar Ridge Cindy and Crosbear Parker), but she's got Sunrise dogs in her line, along with a couple FC AFC's in her great grandparents and even more farther back. it'll be fun to watch her grow.
I thought I could see the sunrise in her. Any luck with what we discussed yet? Keep me in the loop, inquireiiing minds want to know.

That is a beautiful Brittany. I too have one. Your dog's coming along perfectly according to her age. No hurry!

Do you have a plan for introducing her to gun fire? If you're interested, I will tell you how I did it and ended up with a dog who LOVES the sound of a shotgun going off.
Glad to see you like ESS's too:D

grand-dam is a sunrise gal, as is great-grand-dam and 1 or 2 more of the dams on that side. Sunrise Zinger is in there too somewhere. What you can't see in this pic is her freckles. She gets that from her dad. All over her front legs, and subtle ones all over her body even tho she only has a couple big markings on each side of her body.

As for what we were talking about FCS, I assume you're referring to your referral. I spoke to your recommendation, but unfortunately, he's about 5 hours away. He did refer me to a couple local fellas though. I'll be making calls soon here. thanks. keep you posted as to how it all goes.

Britchaser, feel free to share gun introduction. so far all I've been doing is clapping my hands loudly while she's eating. I can do it right over her head and she doesn't seem to care. I know that's no gun, but i figure i'm laying groundwork. post your suggestions. it'll be a while before we get to that actual stage i figure. planning to take things nice and slow.

Gun Fire Introduction to the Pup

Britchaser, feel free to share gun introduction. so far all I've been doing is clapping my hands loudly while she's eating. I can do it right over her head and she doesn't seem to care. I know that's no gun, but i figure i'm laying groundwork. post your suggestions. it'll be a while before we get to that actual stage i figure. planning to take things nice and slow.

When my pup was about 5 - 6 mos. old I began taking him for off leash outings in the country where I could carry and fire a weapon. I took my .44. I've heard of people taking blank shooters, but you need a gun that really makes a big noise. As we walked along I would fire 3 -4 rounds into the ground at random times when the dog was paying no attention to me -- and I would not react in any way. I just kept walking as if the occassional loud noise was part of being out in the country. I think your hand clapping is a good start. When my pup began to hunt, he quickly came to love the sound of gunfire because it meant the bird fun was on.

The best of luck and fun in hunting with your beautiful pup.

Back