Lewellin setter inquiry.

hopboyd

After decades of being English Setter purists, about 9 years ago we decided to try a Llewellin pup. They are advertised as ?laid back? dogs, and this one excelled in that aspect. He just had no desire to hunt. We went through a couple dozen planted (pen raised) birds and he showed no inclination to hunt for them. We?d lead him up to the planted bird, he?d semi-point and he showed some interest in the downed bird, but showed no inclination in searching for another bird. A first ever for me, we went through two professional trainers; the first gave up in a couple of weeks saying he could not instill the desire to hunt in a dog. The second apologized for his failure, but that the dog showed promise (you have to be careful about bad mouthing a man?s dog in this part of the country). We talked to the breeder (Kings Llewellin in Arkansas) but got no useful advice ? ?Well he ain?t an English setter.?
His first two years were total frustration. My son?s wife became attached to him, so we were stuck with him, no matter what. By the third year he started to slowly come around and he finally became an ?acceptable? bird dog, still with issues. It was mandatory to solidly instill the ?stay? command in order to attain his present competence. On quail, he will point and then try to reposition until he pressures and flushes the birds, unless you see him in time to give the ?stay? command ? to this day!
Over the years we?ve had some ?acceptable?, most I?d rate as ?good?, and several I?d rate ?excellent? English setters. But none like this.
I would like to hear from those who have had experience with Llewellins. Right now my son (I am beyond the age to withstand the punishment) would be gunshy about another LLewellin, based on that one experience. What is your experience with this breed, both good and bad?

Sorry I did not see your post sooner.

I have two Llewellins and they are very capable bird dogs. What you are describing is totally unacceptable in my opinion for a Llew. Llewellins were the field trial dogs in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many if not most of the lines of good English Setters have Llewellin blood.

Here are a couple videos of my two hunting to give you and idea of what you should expect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_RKwP6qCPw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKb1q-rRc6o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVt_pj20q4w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZPNzY4xODU

Thanks. I've met several hunters in the field with Lewellins and they echo your opinion. I think we just got an odd ball.

Are these sharptails in the videos? Also noticed a magnificent shot through the trees.

Thanx again.

Lewellin setter inquiry

Forgot to mention: At least over the 30 years virtually every English setter we've owned has had Lewellins in their pedigree.

Genes are Genes! You pick a breed to give a starting place, the parents, and their parents are the reason to buy one. There are AKC pointers who would tear up a field to find birds. There are others which don't give a hoot. Odds are long that English Setters will get the hang of it. Like you I have had a few great dogs, and some which were so-so. I hunted with the so-so, let the 'great" ones do the work, here and there, the so-so dog will surprise you. I have had some be the dog of the day, and never achieve that again! My belief is that male English Setter pups are slower especially to their litter mate sisters, who sometimes are broke in six months, to a year. I would stay away from the genetics in this breeding, although I have hunted with these dogs before, and they were fine companions and held up their share and more. If you like what you have seen in the English Setter, I would try again, ask important questions!

I would definitely say an oddball, it can happen in any breed. My dad had a Lew when I was young, I remember it being a very solid bird dog, as are most I've seen.

I had a very similar experience with a Lewellin from the same kennel. Unless we can invent a milk bone-scented quail he is not interested. Pro trainers gave up etc, turned out to be a great pet, we love the dog but has no prey drive. On a more positive hunting note, I purchased Lew puppy from a breeder here on UPH and she is a hunting machine..couldnt be happier!

Thanks. I've met several hunters in the field with Lewellins and they echo your opinion. I think we just got an odd ball.

Are these sharptails in the videos? Also noticed a magnificent shot through the trees.

Thanx again.

The 3rd video is sharptail, the others are quail in KS.
Those videos were all from last year, with Indy (the mostly white setter) at 16 - 18 months old.

If more than one person is seeing this type of behavior from more than one dog from a breeder, .... someone may not be focused on breeding for bird hunting.

Good luck.

Back