Lets See Your Dogs..post some pic's

Whisky and I just got back from three solid days of hunting in South Dakota. He had some remarkable retrieves, some points, and even got to do two blind retrieves and two water retrieves. I was super proud of him. He was relentless in his pursuit of birds. He went through two Rex Spec lenses. The Cuga vest was really beneficial as well. I brought his boots, but he didn't need them as his feet held up really well.

Attachments

• SD1.jpg
    SD1.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 21
  • SD2.jpg
    SD2.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 22
  • SD3.jpg
    SD3.jpg
    297.2 KB · Views: 22
  • SD4.jpg
    SD4.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 20
I hunt with my Airedale Terriers and have for ~20 yrs.
Here's Rocky with an Iowa rooster:
RockyIowa05.jpg

And his son, Jake, at 6 mos. old with his first Iowa rooster. Jake lives in Iowa.
JakeIowa05.jpg

Dave
Do you go to Doc's hunt club preseason?

Might be getting this little guy. Older hunter bought in KS a couple years ago started. Can't hunt any longer. Needs a home and to hunt.

So I met this little Britt today. Very sweet. But when he got outside was a terror! Hasn't hunted in over a year. 40lb dog on a leash nearly pulled me to the ground trying to get out and do his thing.

Will be a house pet/hunter, in that order. I'm not sure my wife can handle him on walks. I have about 600 squirrels in the back where she would walk him. He's super focused on hunting, chasing, pointing retrieving. So wife wants him but she doesn't hunt. SMH.

Last edited:
Who knew Illinois still had some
Hudge and I know. Many of the places in Illinois (and some in Indiana) are quite lucrative. Where there is cover there are generally birds. And I think the last few years have been getting better as ILL has added some "honey bee" patches of cover here and there.

I can tell you that I have seen upwards of 300 birds in a day in Illinois and if we don't put 30-40 in the air then I'm disappointed. He and I hunt the same general areas.

Coming from WI as I did when I moved to IN I would never have guessed there would be soo many birds on what I would look at and say was sterile corn and bean fields. There are some patches of cover but the real action is usually the drainage ditches.

Hudge and I know. Many of the places in Illinois (and some in Indiana) are quite lucrative. Where there is cover there are generally birds. And I think the last few years have been getting better as ILL has added some "honey bee" patches of cover here and there.

I can tell you that I have seen upwards of 300 birds in a day in Illinois and if we don't put 30-40 in the air then I'm disappointed. He and I hunt the same general areas.

Coming from WI as I did when I moved to IN I would never have guessed there would be soo many birds on what I would look at and say was sterile corn and bean fields. There are some patches of cover but the real action is usually the drainage ditches.
My intention was a light hearted joke

I would have laughed 20 years ago if someone would tell me that Ill. would have better habitat that In. But here we are. Take a cruise through southern part of both states. It's undeniable.

Where there is good cover there are plenty of birds. Unfortunately, there is also a lot of plowed ground fence row to fence row. One nice thing is there certainly isn't any bird hunters anymore. Maybe a few opening weekend, but hardly any serious hunters around. I'm fortunate to have access to a lot of good ground. Most farmers will still let you bird hunt. Last year I even had a guy drive me around and show me his best spots. I like going by myself and keeping my spots a little top secret😎

Where there is good cover there are plenty of birds. Unfortunately, there is also a lot of plowed ground fence row to fence row. One nice thing is there certainly isn't any bird hunters anymore. Maybe a few opening weekend, but hardly any serious hunters around. I'm fortunate to have access to a lot of good ground. Most farmers will still let you bird hunt. Last year I even had a guy drive me around and show me his best spots. I like going by myself and keeping my spots a little top secret😎
Bump any coveys?

My intention was a light hearted joke
I know. Response was more for people that have no idea the little gems that each state has. The looks I get from people who live in these states when I tell them I hunt pheasants always makes me laugh.

I would frequently stop in Fowler Indiana for dinner on way home from hunts. People in the restaurant would almost always ask me what I hunted that day. "Pheasants!" I'd usually get a look and get asked, "are there still any pheasants around here?" The sign on the way into town proclaims "Pheasant Country USA!' lol.

Last edited:
No. It's probably been 5 or 6 years since I've seen a covey of quails. For years and years I knew where 4 or 5 coveys were, and I could go back and find them every year and shoot a bird or two out of them. The last covey I saw was in a brushy CRP field over by Sheldon in 2017 or 2018.

I hunt quails in southern IL every year, primarily in Franklin County around Zeigler, IL. Still a decent quail population down there. On a good day I can move 2 or 3 coveys. I also hunt quails around Mt. Vernon by a little town called Dix.

Back