Lets see some pics of your Bird dogs

mnmthunting

Banned
It's downtime, no hunting for me until mid Sept.

So, show off some photos of your hunting pals.:cheers:

I'll start with these guys. Ruff Ruff and Cooper.
My kids named both dogs.

Cooper.
P1010253.jpg

p10101572.jpg

Ruff Ruff
p10101902.jpg

How old are your kids? Just curious because I understand the name Ruff Ruff, but how did they come up with Cooper?

OK, Here's the story. Ruff Ruff started out as rough, named after a ranch I hunt in Montana. My Girls age 16 and 13 at the time just changed it to Ruff Ruff, so it stuck and everybody called him Ruff Ruff. Cooper came from my youngest daughters boyfriend, all thought for sure Ruff Ruff needed a puppy. My Wife and I took a trip for our 25th. Kids were at home on summer brake from college and took it upon themselves to bring this pup home. Glad they did it while we were gone. They called him pooper because of the mess. I said well thats not going to work, he's a hunting dog. So they thought of something close. cooper.

Ruby

Here's a pic of Ruby getting birdy. She went on point shortly after the picture was taken, but I wasn't quick enough to get another shot before the bird got too nervous and busted out of the snow.

Snowhunt2006007.jpg

Last edited:
Nice lookin Labs. Really like those Montana backdrops on MNMT's shots.

I was in a WIA in Clark County, SD Sat. before last. Wasn't seeing any birds in the grass so I took time out to take a few shots of my Springer. Then I hit a marshy slough just below this grass. I took 2 Roosters outa that slough thanks to Rosie (my Springer) but if I'd been paying attention, I easily could have had my limit there. Nice spot. I hope I get a chance to revisit it someday.
RosieinSD.jpg

RosieBeretta.jpg

John :)

Just some miscellanous pixs from the last year...
TuckPoint.jpg

TuckRegional.jpg

TuckWater.jpg

And after a hard day chasing chickens in South Dakota....

Tuckbed.jpg

You guys have some fine looking dogs.:coolpics:

The dog on the bed reminds me of my pooches, in fact that where their at right now. Both sprawled out on the bed.

how are you guys getting such large pictures in the post's?? Any help would be appreciated

I use Photo Bucket, crop the photos and upload.

Ditto on the photobucket

Easy copy and paste image feature makes it easy to insert a picture.

how are you guys getting such large pictures in the post's?? Any help would be appreciated

kiote... I have an account on Photobucket.com as well. I upload my photos to my Photobucket account at a size of 800x600. I could specify a larger size for my uploads, but 800x600 seems to work well for viewing them on Photobucket and on forums like this. Much larger and they tend to be excessive in size for this type of viewing.

Photobucket accounts are free but your alloted storage space is somewhat limited with a free account. I have a Photobucket Pro account ($25 per year) and it provides me with much more storage space and customization options for my account.

I suggest setting up a free account and giving it a try. You can always upgrade to a Pro account later if you want to. There are other photo hosting sites as well (Flickr, Smugmug, Snapfish); some offer free accounts, some don't. Personally, I prefer Photobucket.

Once you've uploaded your photos to a host site, you can then use the "Insert Image" button on the toolbar here to copy the photo links to your posts on this forum.

John

Awesome looking Springer. They have a special place in my heart as my first 3 hunting dogs were Springers!

Thanks P4. We had a couple of Springers when I was a kid but this is the first one of my own. Call it breed loyalty or whatever, but I'm kinda fond of Springers myself.

John

JMB, Thats good helpful advice on using photo bucket. I sure had a hard time figuring it out, how to get my photos from my computer to the internet. I got good advice from old hands and it worked.:cool:

My wife says it's time for a puppy:D I have 2 labs now [well cooper is Viszla/lab] Thinks he's a Lab but has upland instincts. Points for a second or two then pounces. I would like a pointer this time. My question to you is what can you recommend about Springers.

mnmt

mnmt-you mentioned you are thinking pointer this time but inquiring about Springers? I can give you info on both as I have owned Springers, English Setters, Golden's and now German Shorthairs. Thanks!

Pheasants4ever, Thanks I want all the info I can get.

A little bit about what I'm after. My dogs are pets that love the hunt. House dogs, ride in the cab, and go almost everywhere with me. We have a farm where the dogs go everyday, so lots of running and exercise. I want a dog that works close and will do anything for his master. I don't know much about pointing dogs. I've always had Labs and think their great. The pup won't be to replace my Labs, but to add to the fun. My old Lab is going to be 11 by Fall, it will be hard, but I'll have to leave him in the truck some. What can you tell me?

Thanks

MM... I'm certainly no dog expert but as P4 suggested, if you're looking for a pointer, you definately don't want a Springer. But if you're considering something in the Spaniel breeds, you may want to consider a Brittany Spaniel as they're generally used as pointers.

From my experience, Springers are bird-flushing machines, to a fault in many cases and my current Springer's no exception. They just seem to be driven to find and flush birds and from what I've experienced, the biggest challenge with Springers is controlling their desire to do that.

I really don't have much experience hunting with pointers. But because I'm partial to Spaniels, if I were looking to get a pointer, a Brittany would probably be at the top of my list.

I hope you find a good one, whatever breed you decide on.

John

This is Three year old Husker.

Fall2006082.jpg

And after the hunt

Oct2006040.jpg

Back