Length of pull

AteUp

How much shorter do you like length of pull when dressed for hunting? Me personally 6’1” average arm length I like 14”. When I’m shooting doves in warm weather 14.25 to 14.5.

I’ve got guns that range from 14.25”-15”….I’ll put a slip on leather pad for early season hunts with my shorter guns, but come pheasant season, regardless of temp, I default to a few auto’s that are about 14.5” and all is good…I guess I can function with a range between 14 3/8”-15”, but in cold weather I do think 14 3/8”- 14.5” is a good LOP….

The length of pull on my Merkel 1620 is 13.875" and it came to me new that way. I'm just 5'9" and do not have long arms. It fits me perfectly and I've shot a lot of birds with it. I can manage 14.25" just fine, as on my Browning 12 gauge 725 or my A5 Sweet 16. Longer than that, especially in the winter with heavy clothes, and I have a problem.

I’ve got guns that range from 14.25”-15”….I’ll put a slip on leather pad for early season hunts with my shorter guns, but come pheasant season, regardless of temp, I default to a few auto’s that are about 14.5” and all is good…I guess I can function with a range between 14 3/8”-15”, but in cold weather I do think 14 3/8”- 14.5” is a good LOP….
Am I reading this wrong? I thought a general rule is the more clothes the shorter the length of pull.

I am comfortable at 14 1/4 and im 6’00. Took a new view on cold weather-tight, wool clothing. We shall see if that holds up now that its actually cold, like 0 or below. Used to wear what I move snow in, bulky stuff, with a big vest. I have a Baikal thats a bit shorter, and it feels alright, but I would rather 14+

Am I reading this wrong? I thought a general rule is the more clothes the shorter the length of pull.
I‘m usually closer to 15” LOP in Sept for Sharptail/huns, and by pheasant opener I’m probably around 14.5” mostly due to gun choice, and I stay there for the rest of pheasant season. I can shoot guns 14.5-15” no matter what, but I try to stay closer to 15” when it’s warm and I’m just wearing a thin shirt. My doubles are generally 15” LOP, as I had them tweaked to that length with recoil pads. My auto’s are standard LOP from factory, around 14.5”. I have a few doubles I havent tweaked, and will use slip-on leather pads to increase LOP, unless I’m wearing extra clothing. My Parker Repro 28 gauge is 14.25”, I always put a slip-on pad on that, as it’s usually early season when using that gun.

Last edited:
I’m a 14.5” guy. Typically don’t see the extreme temps when we are out there that I need to shorten up LOP do to clothes. If I was going to hunt this week I would likely grab one of my auto loaders that are a little shorter to help with that.

If this was referring to LOP, and hadn’t been spelled out fully, I’d wonder if this was meant for Goose—length of poop.

Back