leasing farms

kuk kuk

Need some help out there. I have three 1,000+ acre farms I hunt on in the Clark, SD area for over 25 years. Other than very nice Christmas gifts I have never paid nor have the farmers ever brought it up. With these contacts being so precious I am thinking about giving each farm cash each year. Nothing formal about leasing, just an envelope with $100 bills in it. The question is how much? I hunt each farm twice a season.

Need some help out there. I have three 1,000+ acre farms I hunt on in the Clark, SD area for over 25 years. Other than very nice Christmas gifts I have never paid nor have the farmers ever brought it up. With these contacts being so precious I am thinking about giving each farm cash each year. Nothing formal about leasing, just an envelope with $100 bills in it. The question is how much? I hunt each farm twice a season.

i would keep things as they are, simply because these guys are not selling you a friendship........as soon as you bring out the money, you are inviting someone to out bid your privledge to hunt.

Pheasant hunting

I would just keep getting them Christmas gifts. Let them know that you appreciate them letting you hunt there...a thank you goes a long ways!

It sounds like they are happy with you hunting there or they would have given you the boot years ago.:cheers:

In some states cash vs gifts alters the liability of landowner having you on his land.

If you pay someone to hunt, they take on a certain level of liability. Contract or not.

david0311

I have had the same deal with my landowners for many year as well--we have become very good friends--

I do use gift card at the local resturants/cafe's but not a big deal

What has really solidified our friendship is spending sometime helping out during a busy time of the year-

I have worked cattle--moved cattle -picked corn-beans-moved hay and ran for parts--moved equipment among other things----I always try to spend a few days at least doing so--(good time to rest dog's ) and I find it kind of enjoyable--

Doing so has also made me welcome on neighboring properties as well--when the neighbors pull out into the field to talk/visit and it's you instead of the landowner climbing down from a piece of equipment they see you in a more positive light--

Several times it has also given me a chance to see hunters from a different perspective on how they approach landowners: --looking for a place to hunt--when mistaken for the owner while working--:cheers:

i would keep things as they are, simply because these guys are not selling you a friendship........as soon as you bring out the money, you are inviting someone to out bid your privledge to hunt.

exactly correct its opening a very sour can of worms once $$$ come in keep it like it is why change & make it differnt???

Spend time with them

We have similar connections where we hunt and what we've been doing is not only sending them Christmas cards with a small token of our appreciation, but we also make sure to take some time out of our hunting schedule to actually spend some time with them. We take them out to a nice dinner and enjoy the annual fellowship and catching up with them to see how they've been doing. It is always a grand evening of fun and laughter!

Steve

Our time to meet and greet is 6am at local gas station for coffee. We bring smoked fish, maple syrup, wild blueberries or maybe a jug. Listening and learning is a big part of our trip. Conversation usually ends up trying to figure out how a steel ore boat with 50,000 tons of ore floats.

We have similar connections where we hunt and what we've been doing is not only sending them Christmas cards with a small token of our appreciation, but we also make sure to take some time out of our hunting schedule to actually spend some time with them. We take them out to a nice dinner and enjoy the annual fellowship and catching up with them to see how they've been doing. It is always a grand evening of fun and laughter!

Steve

perfect, nice work, Steve!

Back