Layers

Flush em up

I've been trying to refine my layering for walking for pheasants. Want to avoid too hot or too cold. Easier said then done for me. Now when the Temps dropping in MN I usually where a t shirt, hooded sweatshirt, and a carhartt. This usually keeps me warm while walking in the cold. Sometimes though I begin to sweat which it very uncomfortable while walking and then you get cold faster. I was thinking of investing in a light weight under amour top to help wick moisture and thus keep me more dry. Does anyone have input on the performance wear for this use? Do you stick get sticky with sweat? Worth the money? Would love e to hear your layering systems for certain Temps as well.

Mine is fairly straight forward and nothing high tech. T-shirt, turtleneck and button down shirt. I have turtlenecks that are both real light weight and heavy. Same for my button down shirts both lighter and heavier weight. Mix and match as needed.

I sweat a lot, even when the temps are in the single digits. So for many years I have never worn anything made of cotton (except for my tidey whites) as my base layer. I wear an Under Armour type t-shirt in warmer weather and when I need long-johns I have several sets of different weight from Cabelas like Thermax, etc. Lots of new ones out there now. You need to wick the moisture away. When temps get colder I like my Worsterlon shirts, they are warm, don't suck up he moisture like cotton and dry fast. When I did a lot of elk hunting in cold weather a base layer of Themax underwear and then a wool shirt, pants and parka. You absolutely cannot beat Wool for staying warm. It breathes if you are walking and get heated up and yet retains it's warming properties even when damp or wet. I had a hunting partner when elk hunting in Colorado that has on a set of Browning big game bib overalls and parka with Gore-Tex. He got very heated up walking to our hunting spot and the Gore-Tex didn't breathe. He got wet on the inside and after sitting most of the day he got hypothermia. He was one sick dude after we got him back to camp. I was just fine decked out in all wool.

UA is not the only brand. They all work including the low cost stuff from Champion and others at the big box stores.

I agree with Dakotazeb too, if I had cotton as a base layer I'd be soaking wet all day. Gotta have something that wicks the moisture away.

When it's cold, I go with a light-weight non-cotton long-sleeve base layer, (whatever the various ones you can get from Cabela's, Academy, etc are made of) Then a flannel or denim shirt, then a medium-weight outer jacket.

Same type of base layer bottoms, over my regular upland pants. Or if it's really cold, fleece-lined upland pants.

Thick wool socks over a thin silk-type base sock.

I agree with Dakotazeb too, if I had cotton as a base layer I'd be soaking wet all day. Gotta have something that wicks the moisture away.

When it's cold, I go with a light-weight non-cotton long-sleeve base layer, (whatever the various ones you can get from Cabela's, Academy, etc are made of) Then a flannel or denim shirt, then a medium-weight outer jacket.

Same type of base layer bottoms, over my regular upland pants. Or if it's really cold, fleece-lined upland pants.

Thick wool socks over a thin silk-type base sock.

I was also going to comment on socks. Roadscholar is right. Throw away the cotton socks. I prefer a wicking type sock liner under a wool sock. I prefer Merino wool. I wear that combo in both warm and cold temps. Helps prevent blisters. I got the advice about socks back in the mid 70's at any outdoor store in Minneapolis. Along with my new boots they sold me some silk under socks and wool socks. Those silk under socks are great but difficult to find good quality ones and then can be expensive. But still better than sore feet.

I also heat up pretty quickly walking through pheasant habitat; 30F is my temperature point..above that I wear a UA-type "heat gear" first layer (I actually wear the Champion brand purchased from Target...$20 typical). It wicks moisture well, and I never get soaked in sweat. Below 30F I'm wearing "cold gear" in a long sleeve mock turtle neck. Next layer will depend on temperature as well; sometimes a long sleeve button-down for warmer weather, or a hoodie when it's cold...then my vest. When it's below 20F, I might wear that long sleeve button-down over the hoodie...rarely do I wear more than that up top.

On the bottom, no base layer above 30F, just winter weight BDU's from Propper. Below 30F, I have UA cold gear long johns, then the BDU's.

Agree with all re: socks....

Last edited:
Thanks for the input. Yesterday my dad and I were out and I told him to wear his under amour base layer and after a few walks he kept mentioning he felt wet and was getting cold due to that. It is older under Armour but don't think that would matter. I have never used any of the performance base layers but it does seem like if that material got wet, it would be sticky vs a time shirt. In your guys experience does all the wicking material keep you dry? Rookie on this topic so pardon the dumb questions.

I have lots of experience with cold weather hunting. A couple years ago we were hunting in double digits below zero with wind in the double digits as well! Crazy cold. I was wearing a wicking base layer then a fleece layer that doesn't get wet when the base layer wicks away sweat and then finally a wind proof jacket. Most other guys looked like the Michelin man with way to many layers and couldn't hardly walk let alone shoulder a gun. My brother said to me aren't you freezing to death I said no it is not about thickness of layers but the science behind it. Just remember the saying "cotton kills." Once it gets wet it is over for the day. I never wear any cotton anymore while hunting especially if I am going to walk and sweat.

Thanks for the input. Yesterday my dad and I were out and I told him to wear his under amour base layer and after a few walks he kept mentioning he felt wet and was getting cold due to that. It is older under Armour but don't think that would matter. I have never used any of the performance base layers but it does seem like if that material got wet, it would be sticky vs a time shirt. In your guys experience does all the wicking material keep you dry? Rookie on this topic so pardon the dumb questions.

If you sweat you are going to get wet. Even the Under Armour type stuff will get wet but it does a better job of wicking the moisture away from your skin to an outer layer, still provide some insulating qualities and it will also dry much faster. When cotton gets wets it stays wet, provides no insulating value and thus you will be freezing.

Get rid of the hoodie sweatshirt and replace it with a wool shirt. I'm assuming the hoodie is cotton and the carharts are as well.

I do a polypropylene base layer, the base layer shirt has a raised zip collar so I can adjust that on the fly. If it is really cold I will do a thin long sleeve shirt over that, then a very good thick wool button up shirt. Over that is a waxed cotton duck hunting jacket (LL Bean).

Pants are nylon faced cotton duck over poly underwear. Wool socks. If very cold a poly base sock underneath. Uninsulated boots.

If it is warmer (+30 degrees and not too windy) then I ditch the jacket and just use a vest over the wool shirt. That wool shirt is the single best apparel investment I have ever made for hunting. And I am pretty sure I paid about $30 for it. Moose Creek I think. Thick and warm but not wind resistant.

I like a wicking, 3/4 zipper mock turtleneck medium weight long sleeved shirt when it's cold (0-20 degrees) with a medium heavy flannel shirt, over which the pheasants forever lined orange hunting vest is placed. Moving the zipper allows cooling off during those long walks. Thin merino wool glove liners under medium weight leather gloves: I always find my hands take the brunt of the cold while holding that cold metal gun. I have lined brush pants for those colder walks. Feet are warm in cabela's knee high 200 thermal weight boots with a light liner and a wool sock (I also protect my feet with a layer of Vaseline prior to applying socks; decreases blisters/pain). The knee high boot helps for those unexpected water crossings; nothing worse than having near freezing water over take the top of a shorter boot. I am also teased about my 'Elmer Fudd' fleece lined orange bill cap with the ear flaps and chin strap, but will not give up warmth and practicality for fashion. My dog has never laughed at my outfits; he's ecstatic to see the brush pants, let alone the lovely Benelli that completes the look.

Warmer weather will still find me with a long sleeved light wicking shirt with a light flannel and gloves; can't stand all those burrs and pickers that scratch bare skin when pushing through sloughs, cattails, willows and all the other rough crap Obie leads me though.

Never cotton, as many have said. Wicking base layers for both shirt (long sleeve) and pants. Many, many vendors out there -- UA not the only one. If it's really cold, a wool-blend union suit is next. Wool shirt. The Gore-Tex hunting pants and coat, so I don't get wet from the outside. If this isn't enough to keep me warm, I wuss out :D

Lots of good advice here. Quality of layers > number of layers.

I didn't see neck gaiters mentioned. I've found that these allow me to wear thinner body layers and stay just as warm. Just something about keeping the wind and cold off your neck makes everything seem warmer.

Above 30, I'll wear a thin wicking gaiter. Below 30 I'll switch to a thermal gaiter.

Another item is a windproof vest. I have the Duluth Trading one. It lets my pits release heat, but keeps my core warm.

X2 on the fleece neck gaiters, but it has to be pretty awful outside. Pretty horrific conditions to justify the neck gaiter for upland hunting, but I've definitely been there done that.

As many other commenters have said, DON'T wear cotton- at least high cotton blends. However, you can also have problems with pure polyester blends not breathing adequately. I do a lot of backcountry skiing, backpacking, etc. Really the best gear made for laying for cold weather aren't designed with hunting in mind, but can work great for it. Kuiu, First Light, etc. are now offering some good options if you need camo. Probably my #1 most versatile layer is my Patagonia Nano-Air jacket. This (expensive) jacket is specifically designed for higher output activities in cold conditions. I can wear my Nano-Air over a base layer T-shirt and be comfortable in temps from 60 to 20 degrees, even when chasing running wild birds. The jacket is designed to dump moisture but still insulate adequately. Even though it isn't designed for hunting, it is conveniently offered in blaze orange. When it is really cold I will switch out to my Rab Electron down puffy. Several people mentioned wool, which is OK, but HEAVY. I would much rather have something light that I can move easily in.

Back