Late season planning

petrey10

Few guys are looking to schedule a trip late season to Kansas. We are from Illinois.

Looking for recommendations. We love to pheasant hunt but a chance at some quail would be neat.

Public land? Outfitter? Both?

Both. We hunt public late and its tough. If you can plan it where a snow storm hits while you are there, the pheasants will hold tight. That happened to us one year , tough driving , great hunting. We have never hired a guide but we do have a small piece of private we get on. The difference is night and day. You should be able to find a few quail.

Late KS

Hunted last year between Xmas and New Years. Mostly Public with my 1 year old Pudelpointer. Saw as many birds in the walk in areas as we did hooking up with some other guys and driving private fields. Phez, quail and a few chickens. Going again this year. Those were the only other hunters I saw all week. It was awesome me and my pup and miles and miles of land to hunt. Not sure if it was west of Ft Riley though I'd have to check a map. Probably it was.

A thread near this one has a link to the 2016 upland bird forecast from the KDWPT. Might be worth looking at.

Keep an eye on the weather and arrive when snow is expected where you plan to hunt or hunt where it's supposed to snow. Nothing improves pheasant hunting like a fresh snow.

Last edited:
sooo when using the WIHA.... first come first serve? Just show up and hunt? Only thing you need is your hunting license?

Very foreign to an Illini

<see above>

sooo when using the WIHA.... first come first serve? Just show up and hunt? Only thing you need is your hunting license?

Yep. Moreover, non-residents have the same privileges as residents on Kansas walk-in; same walk-in season, same everything. Not so in some other states. Enjoy. Spend some money while you're here. :D

Last edited:
If you go really late , theres no competition. Birds will be extremely wild though. KS people are great , even when they tell you no , they are polite and usually thank you for asking. Its a great system , definitely nothing to compare it to in my state.

Wow...

I don't mind putting in the work. And I'm going late season bc we hunt hard in IL. YES there are some birds here. Not a newbie to pheaz hunting just a newbie to out of state hunting.

Took me one full year of walking and knocking on doors to enjoy another 14 years of hunting. Just gotta go and figure it out. Public areas can be tough so I suggest mixing in some private if you can. Just takes a little extra work.

Yes. Legally, you can pull up right behind another groups trucks, get out, and follow behind them 30 feet and its all legal. It is not smart, but it is legal.

If we pull up to a spot we had picked out on the map and we see somebody in orange out on the horizon, we move on to another spot and let them have it.

We have inadvertently got in on the same field as others have, we parked on one end of a half section, they parked on the other end over a hill and out of sight, when we see them, we just swing wide and try to keep things peaceful. No harm ever intended, and if we'd seen them already there we wouldn't have stopped. Have even had a few times where our group joined in with another group out in the middle of the field to finish the push, or for one to block the other. Don't like to do it, but just make the best of a less than good situation and pray everybody follows gun safety 101.

If we pull up to a spot we had picked out on the map and we see somebody in orange out on the horizon, we move on to another spot and let them have it.

We have inadvertently got in on the same field as others have, we parked on one end of a half section, they parked on the other end over a hill and out of sight, when we see them, we just swing wide and try to keep things peaceful. No harm ever intended, and if we'd seen them already there we wouldn't have stopped. Have even had a few times where our group joined in with another group out in the middle of the field to finish the push, or for one to block the other. Don't like to do it, but just make the best of a less than good situation and pray everybody follows gun safety 101.

Good practices.

Yep I had the same feelings the first time I stepped on a WIHA. I kept looking over my shoulder wondering where everyone was at! HA:eek:

I went out early season about six years ago. Hit a milo field. Hundreds of pheasants. Incredible. Went back in January. Drove by it several times without recognizing it. It was almost bare ground. If you are going late season, might have to look around more. An extra day may be wise.

Yes. Legally, you can pull up right behind another groups trucks, get out, and follow behind them 30 feet and its all legal. It is not smart, but it is legal.

Well stated. We have this situation happen too. We do the same thing. We have had deer hunters ask us if we minded them sitting on the opposite end of the section in case we push a buck out. Not ideal , but no issues.

I've hunted Mitchell, Osbourne and Ellis CO. Later in the season around Thanksgiving and plan on trying again this year. Mostly public or Walk-in and done well.

With that said, It was prior to the drought hitting the state hard.

Birds are there just have to be will to work and walk.

Back