Late Season Pheasant

chriswhite22

I don't consider it late season hunting yet, but it's quickly approaching. I got this guy on public this weekend (4 roosters for the season & 7 quail). He had some nice size hooks (I think I'm measuring from the wrong spot, but you get the point). I love December pheasant hunting in MO. You get your walking in, but makes the reward that much nicer or the miss that much more painful. This bird's spurs maybe the biggest I've ever seen, but you guys may have seen bigger. Anyway, I hope all is going well for you guys out there. Let us know how it's going for you.

IMG_0571%202_zpsopjp39po.jpg

IMG_0574%202_zpsk1oqixfg.jpg

Yep. That's a lot of pheasant spur. 3/4 or 1 1/4 inch, either way its gonna hurt if he can get scraped across your hands or your dog's nose. :eek:

Where do you hunt in Missouri?

I mainly hunt public land north of Highway 36. You seem to find a pretty nice mix of birds doing it that way. I was seeing a lot of quail early, but haven't run across as many the last couple hunts. You cross the border to hunt in MO?

Not to much. I do have a passion for hunting quail as you might have guessed. I have dove hunted in Missouri prior to the Dove season in Iowa being set. Beyond that I guess I mainly roam the Iowa prairie looking for pheasant, quail and partridge. You come North much?

quailman, you know I've done a lot of research planning a trip up there, but it just ends up never happening. I feel I may be missing out on some good opportunities, but I just don't know. Been through there this year on my way to MN and/or SD. The majority of the time is spent in MO. It gets too expensive going to all these states.
Lucky1, thanks I do work real hard. The guys that hunt with me (sometimes) think I'm nuts when I crash terrible looking cover. It does stink, but the reward is nice when it does pan out. Maybe I'll see you, mainly hunt with my GPS who just turned 2. Had to retire the weimaraner this year due to age/hips. I think I'm heading northwest for my next hunt. It'll be a nice days walking with some surprises along the way.
Happy Hunting!

We drive through MO on our trips to Kansas and North Dakota and have for years. We have always discussed how birdy parts of it look. Id like to hunt out there sometime. Cool pic and hunt!

There are some birds here that's for sure, but you have to walk. I bag typically 5 - 6 pheasant per year here. All on public land. The conservation department has some tools to help identify where to hunt.

MoKan Guy

I used to hunt in Iowa as well. Midwestern part near Newton. Seems like the pheasant numbers declined to the point where the local guys turned to duck hunting. I spend most of my time in Missouri as well. And I agree with Chris. I "quail" hunt mostly in Northern Missouri and the pheasants are a bonus in my opinion. I get a good mix a quail and pheasant together on my Kansas hunts. But I get to hunt alot of private ground out there. Big difference hunting pheasants that havent been pressured.

There are some birds here that's for sure, but you have to walk. I bag typically 5 - 6 pheasant per year here. All on public land. The conservation department has some tools to help identify where to hunt.
What 'tools' are you referring to?

What 'tools' are you referring to?

Their hunting atlas can help you identify places to hunt. It can identify what you can hunt on each of their properties and even can refine the search by geographical location. I've been skunked and others done well.

image_zpsqmatc6to.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

Well I went back out this weekend. Wind was definitely a factor but still had fun. I saw a great mix of birds and bagged a few. I hunted most the day Saturday and a morning hunt Sunday. Saturday was the slower of the days I put up 5 pheasant lost a cripple :mad: and plain missed the second. The pup had solid points on both of them which made me real happy. Ran into a nice size covey and managed to get one bird out of there. Saturday evening I tried a new spot and nothing panned out. I just walked... Ended up walking 9.5 miles Saturday. Sunday the wind was howling! Ended up being one of the more memorable hunts I've ever had in Missouri. The birds were in the thick, thick stuff. I was working hillsides that would block the wind and it wasn't too long before my pup locked point. He was 65 yards below me in the worst of junk and I walked down that hill and kicked the grass 2 times and nothing.... I looked at him still holding and said "are you pointing a mouse?" At that point a rooster explodes from the grass! Missed on the first shot and downed on the second. I then worked dirty crop fields and hello quail! I got 1 out each covey encountered. I continued to focus on thickets and dirty crop and i consistently put up birds. I'd say ended the day putting up 18 pheasant (3 roosters) and got to see so many points. My GSP just turned 2 and this was the best I've ever seen him hunt. Excited to see his growth as a hunting dog. The final rooster we saw was in a draw and there was a little patch of reeds and I said to myself "let's check that out" and sure enough the GSP locks on point and as I am getting closer a rooster explodes out of the reeds he was the size of an F-15 and his belly is facing me. The mental picture I have matches one you see on a magazine cover and I absolutely fired blanks.... Is still don't know how I missed but I did. It's hunting but that one will stick with me for awhile. I ended up walking 17.5 miles and I had a GPS on my dog and he rocked out 43 miles! Unbelievable animals we all have! Wonderful time afield.

Hunt quail in Audrain and pike counties in Mo and although numbers are down still able to get some good dog work and few quail for the table. went to Carroll county last week on private land and was in to 5 covies and did get 1 rooster and 10 quail, 4 of us that is did this. Also have been to SD early November and Ok first of dec and both states spoil you with there bird numbers but still Mo keeps calling me and long as Iam able will still hunt in good ole Mo but will continue to travel too and good hunting to all and Merry Christmas. Jim

Went out to barbed wire conservation area (seat memorial) today. Pup got a cut from the barb wire and had to get a couple staples. Freaking retarded how much barb wire they have out there. Set me back $200 to get my pup stapled up. Be careful if you take your dog out there. Seems like every field out there is surrounded by the crap.

Back