Late season pheasant/quail

After a great opening weekend, we are looking to maybe make a long weekend trip back in January.

Is it worth our time to try and find birds on public land that late in the season?

Thanks

I have had very good luck on oklahoma late season quail on public land. Pheasants would definitely be tougher but they’re still there.

If you can coordinate your trip with old man winter and have him send you some snow , you will have better luck on pheasants that time of year.

Late season can be great. Pheasants can be spooky but there's a lot less hunting pressure and birds tend to bunch up in good cover. Late season is my favorite time to hunt pheasants.

Some of my best hunts on public land have been in January. Some wiha tracts can have the best cover around and the birds are bunched up. They’re smart tho. Makes it fun even if they flush wild its usually a big flush with a lot of birds. It can give u good idea on how the bird numbers truly are in that area

Late season snow hunts for pheasants are awesome. Used to hunt around Norton in high school. Just my dad and I went out late season. We had become good friends with one of the farmers there. We hunted hard on a Friday with very little success, so we decided not to set the alarm for Saturday morning. Phone rang in the motel room around 7:30 and it was the farmer's wife telling us to look outside and that her husband was waiting for us. There was about 4 inches of snow on the ground. Had a great hunt that day with our limits by lunchtime.

Back