Last weekend of the Season - Success

SetterNut

Got out yesterday with my SIL and my friend Bill who's litter I got Ace my 5yo Llewellin, from. Bill's young pup Dixie was in heat so we had to leave Indy at home for the morning hunt. This let Ace be the star, since the "bird hog" Indy was not there.

Then in the afternoon we got Indy and went out again. He was on his game and Ace was able to find a single, that we did not get on video.

http://youtu.be/hdFIJwN8z3A

Jan_194.jpg

OUTSTANDING video Steve...very nice!:cheers: hope I have good luck again this week....my final trip west for the season....ummmmmm unless I come out to kill a turkey:D I've been wanting to do that for a LONG time...maybe this will be the year. you are an inspiration to me to get this GoPro going....question for ya....this GoPro I have is one of the first ones that came out...its NEVER been used...I charged it up a couple times but never used it....do you think the battery is still good?

Thanks, that was a fun day yesterday. I missed some other good dog work because I had the GoPro in photo mode rather than video.

I would think that the battery should be fine. But I am sure that they sell extra batteries still.

Turkey hunting in KS is pretty good. There is a bunch of them in this part of the state. This was one of my son's turkeys this past spring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQ5QNAruRDI

very nice....I did see a large flock of turkeys last time I was out there. I'm waiting to see what permits I drew here in our lottery in IL.

Thanks, I missed some good work that I wish I could have gotten. Dog had a really solid day.

I forgot to mention that we had 2 covies that were up in trees. Then some of the singles were up in trees. Both these covies were in the same area.

I have only seen one or two other quail ever in trees, and never 6-8 birds at the same time in a tree.

Ive heard about quail doing that but have only personally seen it twice with singles. Thats an old grouse trick. Ive seen grouse do it ALOT

I thought I heard you say "their up in the trees" on the video. Seen phez and chickens in trees but never quail, at least actually UP in the tree.

I thought I heard you say "their up in the trees" on the video. Seen phez and chickens in trees but never quail, at least actually UP in the tree.

Yep, about half the covey was up in the cedar tree. Several of the singles were found in trees. We found a 2nd covey 500 yrds away that did the same thing.

Think they need to be removed from the gene pool. Not the way BW quail are to act.

Be kind of strange to walk in on a point and find that the birds aren't on the ground but instead in the trees!

Wonder what was going through your dogs mind at the time? "Ace, you sure these are quail we're pointing?" "Yea Indy, no doubt in my mind, keep on pointing".

Last edited:
Ace in the first video, was all twisted up on point. I am guessing that he hit scent at full stride. When that covey flushed, you could hear the birds coming out of the tree about headed high, before you could see them.

The covey Indy had, were gentlemen, and came off the ground.

Thanks, I missed some good work that I wish I could have gotten. Dog had a really solid day.

I forgot to mention that we had 2 covies that were up in trees. Then some of the singles were up in trees. Both these covies were in the same area.

I have only seen one or two other quail ever in trees, and never 6-8 birds at the same time in a tree.

I have a picture that's 8 years old now that I'll have to find in my photobucket account to share with you guys. Back when there were birds in Pawnee county, we were doing our annual "night before the opener" drive at sunset. In 2 short trees by a wheat field (not sure what kind), there were a dozen pheasants and a good size covey of quail (15'ish) and they were all sitting together in those trees. It was different for sure; it took a bit for me to believe what my eyes were seeing!

This season I've had 2 different singles land in the trees. They'll sit and wait as you walk right under them. I let my kids throw hedge-apples to get 'em to fly. We watch where they go and take the dogs right to 'em.....those birds are relatively easy to eliminate from the gene-pool.

I remember seeing alot of pheasants in trees in Kansas in 2004 when I was out there hunting...I couldn't believe it.

hunted a lot of Quail and have on more times than I can count had Quail in and or land in trees , usually there young birds , when it happened when I was a lot younger I asked my dad and that?s what I was told , if you harvested any of them tree sitters usually a lot smaller than others in the covey, I shot some birds last year that came off the ground on covey rise that were small enough I thought they were flutter birds , at first , upon inspection they had feathers and fly hard but had what I?ve always called pen feathers and a lot of them up under their wings and breast , I felt bad cause I knew they were very young and didn?t feel like they had a fair chance , this year they were good sized birds and yet same deal some birds that were with them were very small with the pin feathers , I have some pictures I will c were there at and post them up , just what I?ve seen and experienced

:cheers:

Back