KS wheat tour

watermen

Been following it for a couple of years cause i share the tax code with farmers, come from a long line of farmers a generationn ago, and I love to bird hunt. First day of tour does not look good. Mother nature is a hard old woman to squeeze a living out of. Now it's not the rain it's disease and pestulance. Takes a different sort to just stand there and take what comes.
My grandfather used to say " I plow, plant, seed and spray like it's gonna be a banner year and if I don't it never will be. God controls the rest son". Miss him he was a steady, solid man. :cheers:to the farmers.

Sounds like by Mon or Tues the wheat harvest will be in full swing. Although hearing of lots of equipment sitting in Okla waiting for some dryer conditions or flat out stuck. Could be some delays in some areas if using Custom cutters. Starting to warm up and dry out. Dew points have been high slowing the progress as well in some areas. Some have been having to wait until 3 in the afternoon to get started. Birds could benefit from a slower harvest, giving more time for the chicks to grow and escape if need be! Nice and warm in S.E. Colo and Kansas.

unfortunately, the last two weeks of heavy rain has mostly ruined the wheat crop in sek, looks like the quail hatch will be late again this year, if it ever dries out. talked to a couple of guys yesterday, their wheat will sprout on the stalk, before they can cut it, if they even do.
to bad all this rain happened in June, will be needing it by August.

:cheers:

Being from out of state and just uneducated. How does this affect the birds. Even though there is disease does the plant grow offering cover for nesting? My mind says as long as there is a good leaf cover it should help nesting. I realize disease affects yield and that is very disappointing to farmers wallets. I am not saying I do not care about yield, as I have family that farms in nw ks. I also want to know about nesting and the possiblity of a good hatch.

Can anyone offer advice on how disease affects nesting. Many thanks

I have seen wheat that was diseased or had an untimely frost and the Farmers I our area would let it go about to some time in early May if it wasn't looking very good they often spray it or turn it under and put another crop in .

This would not be good for nesting .

With all this rain I think a lot of the wheat is going to be laid over? Combines are going to be cutting lower which can't be good for renesting.
On a positive note my father had his high school reunion a couple of weekends ago out west. He's pretty pumped about the reports he heard of birds already on the ground. It's been a while since we hunted together but this year he'd like to give it a shot.

Hearing lots of Coyote pups, Rabbits and fawns, but just a few chicks. Could just be isolated pocket during wheat harvest.

Back