Killing Locus trees

blabs

Wondering if any you have had any luck killing off Honey Locus trees. I have about 10 acres that I want to plant into bird habitat however there is about 200 Locus trees growing on it. These things are nasty covered in 2 to 3 inch thorns. I cleared a small area last year using a skid loader but they grow back quickly, already head high this summer. This summer I started drilling holes in some of them and pouring round up in them. It killed off the treated trees but will they grow back? My plan is to get a track-hoe in there and pull all of them out after I treat them all with round up. Thoughts? These trees suck!!

When damaged, these trees resprout from the nodes on the roots and give you more trees than you had originally. You need to kill the top and root both. 11 ounces of Streamline plus Liberate surfactant at 2 quarts per 100 gallons for a foliar and 25% Garlon 4 plus Bark Oil Blue Lt as a carrier as a dormant stem basal bark treatment. You can stump treat with Pathway or Tordon RTU, but you can't do much planting with stumps in the way. Also, any Tordon used will keep you from planting most broadleafed habitat plantings for about 3 years.

I drilled holes in a bunch of them this summer and put some Tordon RTU in the hole. Killed them dead, roots and all. But if you have that many trees, that may be more work than you want.

I will probally start using the Tordon product. Should I wait until spring to continue this project or will it work in the fall also?

I've had some luck with the Tordon RTU in that I've treated several trees and left to do other work for a couple of days only to come back and see trees I didn't treat dying because there were root sprouts of the trees I had already treated. The down side is that the product stays active in the soil for about 3 years. Makes growing broadleafed plants iffy.

Use Pastureguard mixed with Remedy and crop oil at labeled rates. Spray the base of the tree all the way around and outside the stem where it goes in the ground about a foot. Spray any lateral roots the happen to be on the surface of the ground. It works better if you don't spray the whole tree, it kills the tree to fast and doesn't get the grow point as good. I have killed thousands of them this way.

On a side note....I couldn't tell you how many times I've had to put a tree stand in a honey locust. They always seem to be "the perfect tree" in a big buck ambush point. Gosh, I hate them!

Back