Kick-eez Slip on recoil pads

Labradinger

Bought a citori over the winter. I need a new recoil pad as its over 30 years old and seems to have dried out. The gun fits me ok, maybe 1/4 inch long, so definitely going with a shorter recoil pad. Found a kick eez slip on recoil pad that has 1/4 inch inserts to shorten or lengthen lop depending on clothing. Do i need to get a solid butt plate to keep moisture ect out of the stock or will the slip on recoil pad be enough?

Also, does anyone use this pad?

Depending on finish type on the wood I would be cautious of leaving it on all the time. Over time the neoprene material can change the color of the finish slightly. Would expect on oil finish guns to be worse then others types of finish but just wanted to make you are. For looks alone I would just replace the recoil pad with the correct thickness and not use the slip over but that is just my opinion.

Agree with John - you may actually be able to purchase a replacement pad that fits your Citori
The other option is grind to fit - I do these and it
requires the proper tool (Miles Gilbert recoil pad fixture - or the like) & some practice
Pads come in various thicknesses so you can order a pad thinner than the existing one
Pachmayr & Kickeez make nice pads
The Pachmayr lightweight F250 is a nice looking pad to consider for your gun
If you’re anywhere close to northern Illinois I’d be happy to give you a hand with your project
Good luck!

i hunt from 70 degrees down to -20 so my thought here, while i know it doesnt look as good, is to be able to drop 1/2 to 3/4 lop from the gun when I have the bulky stuff on by simply taking a couple inserts out. Ive noticed several times over the years where I shoot fine early season but tend to snag clothing as im mounting the gun when im wearing heavy stuff.

i hunt from 70 degrees down to -20 so my thought here, while i know it doesnt look as good, is to be able to drop 1/2 to 3/4 lop from the gun when I have the bulky stuff on by simply taking a couple inserts out. Ive noticed several times over the years where I shoot fine early season but tend to snag clothing as im mounting the gun when im wearing heavy stuff.
If what your are proposing really worked everyone would be doing it and I don't know of anyone that has. Just get a new recoil pad and have a competent gunsmith fit it to your gun with your proper length of pull. Forget about trying to adjust the LOP depending on the amount of clothing you are wearing.

i hunt from 70 degrees down to -20 so my thought here, while i know it doesnt look as good, is to be able to drop 1/2 to 3/4 lop from the gun when I have the bulky stuff on by simply taking a couple inserts out. Ive noticed several times over the years where I shoot fine early season but tend to snag clothing as im mounting the gun when im wearing heavy stuff

As far as "fine tuning" your shotgun, just remember, you are shooting a shotgun, not threading a needle. Maybe if you shoot competitively...for money....

As far as "fine tuning" your shotgun, just remember, you are shooting a shotgun, not threading a needle. Maybe if you shoot competitively...for money....
I disagree. 1/4 inch too long is a major fit problem. If it is truly a 1/4 inch long. That is why shims are so thin. Having a gun that fits that poorly will lead to misses and crippled birds.

But not as much as your shot placement/aiming...shooting over/under, in-front/behind. You have a large pattern that covers-up many shooting/fitment flaws.

But not as much as your shot placement/aiming...shooting over/under, in-front/behind. You have a large pattern that covers-up many shooting/fitment flaws.
Your aiming and shot placement are both dependent on fit. Just like your draw length shooting a bow. Most people shoot a draw length that is a 1/2 inch too long. Shooting arrows in the yard, it may not show up much. But when you put on broad heads, it magnifies. Same with a shotgun. With a proper fitting gun, you will put a larger percentage of birds in the bag.

I've found it helps to change recoil pads, depending on the season. I have a disability - right arm doesn't work very well, hence the difficulty in mounting the gun. Additional clothing in the winter does impact the ease of mounting. Changing the recoil pad, with the seasons, has helped me; doesn't look too professional...but it works.

Also, I've found that over the stock pad is an easier change vs screwing/unscrewing different pads - you can wear out the screw holes...

Back