Kennel Advice- about to build a new shop with space for 3

nwaluke

Anyone want to share victories/ losses with how you built your small kennel? I am about to build a shop planning space for 3 dogs- which will mostly be in a fenced yard, but this is optional sleeping space, and a place to put them away if we have company, out of town, etc. I am not a breeder, but the thought is there for a occasional litter...maybe.

I'm in the planning stages- will start sometime next month. Pics and opinions are welcome!

Thanks in Advance!

I have 2 kennels in my shed, used the gun dog swinging doors for their access. Kennels are rather large roughly 3'x4'. A buddy of mine has basically the same setup in his garage. It works well in my opinion. Takes a some training to get the dogs to use the doors as they a spring loaded.

I assume you are planning to heat it. If you are pouring a slab, consider a heated floor. I used a boarding kennel near Ft Knox, KY and had a hot water heated. The system was very simple. H2O heater plumbed to tubes in the floor. Water moves by convection, no pump required. Once the floor is warmed, it was a very efficient system.
The shop floor for the Heavy Equipment ( Tanks!)maintenance building at Ft. Greely, Alaska used the same system on a much larger scale. It also worked very well.

Preifert panels 3' x 4', spring loaded doors, and seal the concrete with the best product you can find. Big exhaust fan or AC and radiant heat. I would do some investigation into heated floors my vet put in floor heat in his kennel and his dogs do not like it. He switched to radiant.

Definitely seal the concrete floors. I used floor epoxy from PPG that worked great. Make sure to use some type of anti-slip additive.

Back