KDWPT PR nightmare?

KsHusker

For any of you on Facebook if you haven't seen a video I'm sure you will soon. Made the local news I believe. (I dont watch the local news but saw a link that appeared KSN will be doing or has done a story)

This is not a political thread in anyway, just simply posting some news

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VBg4TVS9GM

I know there are a lot of good guys/gals in the department but this is not good for the dept's image and Id bet it will go viral - I obviously dont know the whole story nor does anyone else except the family and their friends but appears there really wasn't anything "bad" going on there.

Curious what the issue was and why the deer needed to be dispatched - searching the ladies Facebook page appears the deer had been taken care of by the family for a while - yeah bad thing it was imprinted on humans but not the first time such a thing has happened with a wild animal. Anyways hopefully a positive outcome will come of it and really curious what the full story is.

Ive hunted most of my life but dont choose to watch the end of that vid. So when the 3 guys come in the front yard they shoot the deer? Im at work so I didnt have volume either to hear the conversation..

Ive hunted most of my life but dont choose to watch the end of that vid. So when the 3 guys come in the front yard they shoot the deer? Im at work so I didnt have volume either to hear the conversation..

You dont actually see it get shot - simply hear the gunshots and the girl filming crying. Still curious what the rest of the story is but if you dig on Facebook I dont think the family will let this go. Looks like it was in NW or NC Ks if I had to guess. (Edit I was wrong - Ulysses)

http://ksn.com/2016/12/21/family-asks-why-game-warden-killed-pet-deer/

Fish and Game For the most part are a bunch of arrogant sonsabitches out my way. yes there are a few good ones in the batch, but most have way too much power and I couldn't agree with the man in the video more, they often make up there own rules, and go out of there way to abuse there power. I have little respect for them or there management practices. This video will definitely stir the pot, good chance cowboy hat Barney will face the music and get what's coming to him. Like stated from others I don't know the whole story, but it sure didn't look good in the video.

I didnt want to turn it into a bashing thread - there are lots of good guys/gals who work in the dept - KSN seemed to provide a little more of the story - seemed a little silly to put it down though but thats only an opinion.

If you're interested in Mule deer this is a great documentary to watch - maybe it would have changed everyones perspective

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwjnpxJyU68

It just seemed the way the family was blasting it on social media it may go viral - maybe not - not too many views since I posted the link this morning.

Not sure why the KDWPT wanted to seize the deer. Did not do legal research and am wondering if their having the deer in their possession is illegal. Probably since it is a game animal. Don't understand why it was shot instead of just being chased away.

It is illegal to possess them here. As indicated they become not only imprinted but dependant on humans. When they become large bucks or does , they aren't the same little sweet pets they used to be. If you could just chase them away , they would become someone else problem. It is very expensive to dart and transport a deer. If its still deer season , theres a risk of a hunter harvesting the deer and consuming the sedative used in the dart. I didn't watch the video , but its not as easy of a situation for the KDWP as it may seem.

BS, I agree it could have been reliant on humans, but hate to see anything be shot just because. So you shot it because it might have died on its own?? Maybe, but why do they get to make that call. Could have just as easy been just fine on its own. Or why not let them continue to do what they are doing, didn't seem like it was hurting anything. Kind of a waste in my opinion. Kind of looked more like I'm the big bad fish and game, and because the law says I can I will.

It is illegal to possess them here. As indicated they become not only imprinted but dependant on humans. When they become large bucks or does , they aren't the same little sweet pets they used to be. If you could just chase them away , they would become someone else problem. It is very expensive to dart and transport a deer. If its still deer season , theres a risk of a hunter harvesting the deer and consuming the sedative used in the dart. I didn't watch the video , but its not as easy of a situation for the KDWP as it may seem.

Totally agree! That deer would have turned into someone else's problem and would have ended up an easy meal for a predator anyway. It would not have lasted in the wild and most likely would have died a much more painful death.

IMO the officer did 110 percent the correct thing.

People need to realize wild animals are not to be made into pets! Period...

What did you think of the variety of covers (hats) worn by the KDWPT officers? Made me think that they should be uniformly covered, like the KHP is.

What did you think of the variety of covers (hats) worn by the KDWPT officers? Made me think that they should be uniformly covered, like the KHP is.
Looked like all three had the same cowboy hat to me. The one officers was formed a little different.

If we did not make wild animals into pets we would not have the dogs we have today. Just something to think about.

As the agency charged with wildlife, I'm sure once they are made aware they are responsible/liable for it. At the point they know, they are stuck, if it kicks the UPS guy in the face they are on the hook, if they have to dispatch it they are the goons who shot a pet deer. I'm sure this is the reason they want a call if there is an injured animal so they don't have to deal with this scenario. Mule deer probably are not on the local zoo's wish list.

How exactly was that deer in their possession? It wasn't tied up or in a cage. How is it any different than someone with a bird feeder in the backyard?

Rut

How exactly was that deer in their possession? It wasn't tied up or in a cage. How is it any different than someone with a bird feeder in the backyard?

Rut

Very good question. Also what about the thousands of deer feeders scattered across the state? It causes them to become dependent on men too. Fawns that have access to them from birth don't learn the survival skills they otherwise would. It also sounds like they may be contributing to foot rot spreading which isn't very good.

Very good question. Also what about the thousands of deer feeders scattered across the state? It causes them to become dependent on men too. Fawns that have access to them from birth don't learn the survival skills they otherwise would. It also sounds like they may be contributing to foot rot spreading which isn't very good.

I am not sure that any deer would eat that high of a % of its food intake to allow it to not learn to forage naturally on other food sources.

I don't feed deer on my place from a feeder, but they hammer my neighbors corn, beans and milo fields. They also eat all the trees I try to plant.

Back