Kansas Trespassing Fee for Private Land

I have 700 acres in CRP and I would not enroll if public access were tied to it. I am not alone, I don't know any landowners that would. I also have 240 acres in the wetland reserve program and the same goes for that.

Last edited:
I have 700 acres in CRP and I would not enroll if public access were tied to it. I am not alone, I don't know any landowners that would. I also have 240 acres in the wetland reserve program and the same goes for that.
I think that issue was settled some time back. The idea (it was mine) was definitely a non-starter.

Do you generally allow public access at no cost, upon polite request? Your place sounds absolutely awesome.

I think that issue was settled some time back. The idea (it was mine) was definitely a non-starter.

Do you generally allow public access at no cost, upon polite request? Your place sounds absolutely awesome.
I see where you named your pups Festus and Miss Kitty (shame on you for the latter, there is enough gender confusion afoot these days without your adding species conflict to the mix). But what great naming choices! Huge fan of the older (mid-'50s) Gun Smoke reruns - back when a man's word was his bond, good guys were not merely tolerated but respected - and even allowed to win most of the time.

Don't want to crowd up on you, fsentkilr, but would I be correct if I guessed that you lease and/or provide "guided" hunts on your beautiful 940 acres in CRP/wetland reserve? Not that there's anything wrong with that. Necessarily. But that taxpayer funded incentive might tend to shape your perspective on the issues just a bit. Fair?

Also, note that you hunt pheasants around Dodge, so I surmise that Colony is a bit too far east for prime pheasant hunts. Do you ever hunt leased or "guided" land out there, hunt WIHA or knock on doors. Some of each?

Last edited:
No I don't lease an acre and never have. My brother and I own 7000 acres total and have never received a penny in lease money. And yes I do let people hunt although my attitude has been soured to strangers from some of the bs I have read on here. I also own 2 half sections in Finny County and a quarter in Ness County so I do own ground in pheasant country also.

No I don't lease an acre and never have. My brother and I own 7000 acres total and have never received a penny in lease money. And yes I do let people hunt although my attitude has been soured to strangers from some of the bs I have read on here. I also own 2 half sections in Finny County and a quarter in Ness County so I do own ground in pheasant country also.
Glad to hear you haven't succumbed to the allure of the leasing mania. Does that extend to any financial benefit from guided hunts/guide services as well? Just asking, you know how I am.

Sounds like you have done extremely well for yourself, and very glad to hear it. Doesn't really sound like you'd need to rely on the (not necessarily entirely voluntary) largess of your fellow taxpayers to get by - but I can't really say I blame you for grabbing what is there for the taking. Entirely your prerogative of course, but to my eye it does seem somewhat contradictory that you are eager to accept taxpayer money from a lot of people who probably work every bit as hard as you do - but not to take advantage of the even bigger payout from leases offered by private enterprise.

In any event, I hope I'm not any part of the reason your attitude has soured. You are - of course - absolutely entitled to do exactly as you wish with your own property. Not to mention that you are already doing your part, and then some, by declining to lease (assuming you aren't essentially leasing through the back door via guided hunts as so many others are).

I just wish we could find some way to stop the downward spiral in the availability of decent access for our less fortunate friends (some that we already know, and others that we never will) and neighbors. I'm coming up snake eyes on that, across the board. So far.

Last edited:
RIP, private land thread. What a great run, over 13k views (Administrator, is that a record, or close to it)?

From my perspective, excellent if sometimes "warm" exchange of ideas occurred and considerable knowledge was gained. On my part, for sure - thanks to those who shared their knowledge and informed (largely) viewpoints.

I think we can conclude, or at least I have, that nothing is going to change - at least, not for the better. It is really a long running natural progression, when you think about it. The old post-Civil War cow towns were basically economically driven hospitality centers providing food, drink, and "services" to mostly non-resident cowhands. The only real change is that the range of native fauna for sale has expanded to include deer, pheasant, quail and waterfowl. Progress, of a sort!

Best to all, and I hope I have the good fortune to encounter some here in the fields this coming season.

I told you that 3 weeks ago but glad if has finally sunk in. We had pages like this that were much longer on bowsite and archery talk nearly 20 years ago. We went to Topeka, we went to the commission meetings, and the KBA did all it could back in 1995 but nothing was going to derail the effort. Money talks. If the buffalo can be hunted to extinction so can Kansas deer. Deer will eventually disappear the same as the Kansas prairie chicken. It will be a treat when you see one. Kind of amazing how a species in a state can change so much and have such an effect on outdoorsman as deer have in a short time of only 55 years.

Last edited:
I told you that 3 weeks ago but glad if has finally sunk in. We had pages like this that were much longer on bowsite and archery talk nearly 20 years ago. We went to Topeka, we went to the commission meetings, and the KBA did all it could back in 1995 but nothing was going to derail the effort. Money talks. If the buffalo can be hunted to extinction so can Kansas deer. Deer will eventually disappear the same as the Kansas prairie chicken. It will be a treat when you see one. Kind of amazing how a species in a state can change so much and have such an effect on outdoorsman as deer have in a short time of only 55 years.
Lol, the deer aren't going away. I don't think you could kill them all if you tried. We need more of them killed in this area not less. The crop damage is terrible.

I told you that 3 weeks ago but glad if has finally sunk in. We had pages like this that were much longer on bowsite and archery talk nearly 20 years ago. We went to Topeka, we went to the commission meetings, and the KBA did all it could back in 1995 but nothing was going to derail the effort. Money talks. If the buffalo can be hunted to extinction so can Kansas deer. Deer will eventually disappear the same as the Kansas prairie chicken. It will be a treat when you see one. Kind of amazing how a species in a state can change so much and have such an effect on outdoorsman as deer have in short time of only 55 years.
Yes, but weren't you also one of the guys who thought we were doomed because it was raining pink paint? :)

The real take away here is, was and remains that neither Big Ag, farmers in general, Abraham Lincoln or some other ancient politician's organizational changes, Big Money, a mass exodus from CRP nor any of the popular targets are primarily to blame.

Who then? We are. At least, Kansas voters are. KDWPT aggressively markets wildlife (particularly to non-residents like me). It is a short line of dots from there to widespread leasing, and from there to sharply curtailed access for KS residents. Not hard to see that KDWPT's fog and smoke oversight commission isn't the real problem here - they may hear you, and perhaps your legislature - but they take their orders from only one person. Your governor. She has probably never even heard of this issue - and she works for you, for as long as you want (or allow) her to. Yes, money talks - but votes talk louder, and there many, many, many times more resident Kansas outdoors men and women than there are outfitters and guides (some of which deny that they even are outfitters and guides, LOL).

Big money didn't keep Dodge's entertainment palaces in business and Boot Hill full, they just reaped the profits. Mostly. The practices in question could never be sustained without the tolerance of the majority of its citizens (voters). That is the "it" that seems not to have changed much.

But perhaps of more interest - what on earth possessed you to sell the 26 inch barrel of your 20 g. Monte? Seems like the perfect balance for the light alloy receiver and minimal mechanism. Bet you already wish you had that one back!

Whats not going away are all the 2 legged critters.......population of the world has doubled since 1951. It's not sustainable.....water, farmable land, rare earth metal....you name it...
Washington and idaho had pheasant hunting to rival kansas back in the 60's when I was a kid. Half a million wild roosters harvested each year per state.
Now.....suburbs and houses everywhere, along with an evolution in farming practices that emphasize production and profit over anything else. Maybe 50 to 60k wild roosters taken.

Enjoy what you have right now, cause the future certainly doesn't look brighter from where I sit, at least in regards to mr. Rooster.....

still a lot of country to pursue ptarmigan, chukar and quail....limiting factor being how well I can hold off the ravaging of time on this old body of mine...

I do enjoy venison...wish I could buy an affordable over the counter doe tag in ks to help thin out the herd....nebraska and once in a while nodak have that option by the way. Horns don't interest me much....lol..

Whats not going away are all the 2 legged critters.......population of the world has doubled since 1951. It's not sustainable.....water, farmable land, rare earth metal....you name it...
Washington and idaho had pheasant hunting to rival kansas back in the 60's when I was a kid. Half a million wild roosters harvested each year per state.
Now.....suburbs and houses everywhere, along with an evolution in farming practices that emphasize production and profit over anything else. Maybe 50 to 60k wild roosters taken.

Enjoy what you have right now, cause the future certainly doesn't look brighter from where I sit, at least in regards to mr. Rooster.....

still a lot of country to pursue ptarmigan, chukar and quail....limiting factor being how well I can hold off the ravaging of time on this old body of mine...

I do enjoy venison...wish I could buy an affordable over the counter doe tag in ks to help thin out the herd....nebraska and once in a while nodak have that option by the way. Horns don't interest me much....lol..
Couldn't agree more re: excess population growth. Slow suicide. Or maybe, not so slow.

Lol, the deer aren't going away. I don't think you could kill them all if you tried. We need more of them killed in this area not less. The crop damage is terrible.

Yes, but weren't you also one of the guys who thought we were doomed because it was raining pink paint? :)

The real take away here is, was and remains that neither Big Ag, farmers in general, Abraham Lincoln or some other ancient politician's organizational changes, Big Money, a mass exodus from CRP nor any of the popular targets are primarily to blame.

Who then? We are. At least, Kansas voters are. KDWPT aggressively markets wildlife (particularly to non-residents like me). It is a short line of dots from there to widespread leasing, and from there to sharply curtailed access for KS residents. Not hard to see that KDWPT's fog and smoke oversight commission isn't the real problem here - they may hear you, and perhaps your legislature - but they take their orders from only one person. Your governor. She has probably never even heard of this issue - and she works for you, for as long as you want (or allow) her to. Yes, money talks - but votes talk louder, and there many, many, many times more resident Kansas outdoors men and women than there are outfitters and guides (some of which deny that they even are outfitters and guides, LOL).

Big money didn't keep Dodge's entertainment palaces in business and Boot Hill full, they just reaped the profits. Mostly. The practices in question could never be sustained without the tolerance of the majority of its citizens (voters). That is the "it" that seems not to have changed much.

But perhaps of more interest - what on earth possessed you to sell the 26 inch barrel of your 20 g. Monte? Seems like the perfect balance for the light alloy receiver and minimal mechanism. Bet you already wish you had that one back!
I know nothing of Pink Paint nor did I post about it. You post so much you are constantly confused on who you reply to or what someone else may have posted. As far as the Monte, I didn't sell a "Barrel". I listed a 20 gauge gun for sell (not a barrel) because I already have a 20 and a 12 (2 Montefeltro's are plenty for me) and did not need a third. Plus I don't shoot the other dozen or so upland guns that I own. Please do us all a favor and do not email, call, text, or use any other means of communication to contact the KDWPT, Commissioners, or Gov. in regards to hunting regulations. You would have them just as confused as you do all of us! !!!!!

Last edited:
I know nothing of Pink Paint nor did I post about it. You post so much you are constantly confused on who you reply to or what someone else may have posted. As far as the Monte, I didn't sell a "Barrel". I listed a 20 gauge gun for sell (not a barrel) because I already have a 20 and a 12 (2 Montefeltro's are plenty for me) and did not need a third. Plus I don't shoot the other dozen or so upland guns that I own. Please do us all a favor and do not email, call, text, or use any other means of communication to contact the KDWPT, Commissioners, or Gov. in regards to hunting regulations. You would have them just as confused as you do all of us! !!!!!
I stand corrected, and you have my heartfelt apologies both for confusing you, and for misidentifying you as the Paint Man (although to be fair, his conclusions were at least more creative and entertaining than most of yours, and his solutions were no less successful).

I'm reminded of a sign I've seen in parking lots - "Slow Children Playing". They can't help it if they are slow, dang it! Nor can I turn back the hands of time on my own ongoing decline, but thanks for noticing.

WestKSBow guy - Here's your post that I misread as offering up a barrel, vice the whole gun:

"Benelli Montefeltro 20 Gauge 26 inch barrel in perfect condition".

So, I do forgive myself - your sentence could be read the way I did (especially by a slow fellow such as myself). I didn't want to say it at the time, but given that you got $900 for it - I was thinking you'd make a hell of an addition to any sales staff! Now, I'm not so sure.

WestKSBow guy - Here's your post that I misread as offering up a barrel, vice the whole gun:

"Benelli Montefeltro 20 Gauge 26 inch barrel in perfect condition".

So, I do forgive myself - your sentence could be read the way I did (especially by a slow fellow such as myself). I didn't want to say it at the time, but given that you got $900 for it - I was thinking you'd make a hell of an addition to any sales staff! Now, I'm not so

Exactly why we have all this leasing and outfitters around every corner.

But even with large herds, you wouldn't have nearly so much leasing/outfitters absent KDWPT's aggressive marketing of tags to non-residents.

Seems like the doe problem could be subject to some degree of control with a night scope, suppressor and depredation permit.

But even with large herds, you wouldn't have nearly so much leasing/outfitters absent KDWPT's aggressive marketing of tags to non-residents.

Seems like the doe problem could be subject to some degree of control with a night scope, suppressor and depredation permit.
So now we have a doe problem?

So now we have a doe problem?
Yes we have a doe problem at least in this area. I can go out this evening and drive around for a couple hours and see over 50. Even with the longer anterless season and more being harvested they don't get any thinner. As far as leasing and out of state hunters it isn't going to change no matter how much people complain. Nonresidents bring a lot of revenue to the State, not just KDWP but, bars, restaurants, hotels, gas stations ect. Even the lease money they pay gets put back in the local economy. The ones I see complaining the most about it are the locals who don't own ground and think hunting the private ground locally is their right but it's not.

Yes we have a doe problem at least in this area. I can go out this evening and drive around for a couple hours and see over 50. Even with the longer anterless season and more being harvested they don't get any thinner. As far as leasing and out of state hunters it isn't going to change no matter how much people complain. Nonresidents bring a lot of revenue to the State, not just KDWP but, bars, restaurants, hotels, gas stations ect. Even the lease money they pay gets put back in the local economy. The ones I see complaining the most about it are the locals who don't own ground and think hunting the private ground locally is their right but it's not.
So 2 hours of driving and 50 deer equals a doe problem? I am going to go out on a limb and say that locals bring more revenue to bars, restaurants, gas stations, etc. than NR's. Hotels, now that would be NR's. I hear a lot of resident landowners complaining about leasing and outfitters, especially after they have been burned. If you have all this crop damage you complain about, just enroll your land in the WIHA program.

Do any of your neighbors or you allow shooting of the does?

I haven't ventured to the SE part of KS to attempt to hunt in a # of years -- we had a contact that would graciously allow my dads family to hunt quail and deer if they liked (even to this day if he called they would) - but everyone near him went the way of leasing it seemed.

Anyways not pitting landowner vs hunter argument - I'm just curious - My conclusions are in the areas with the most does - it's typically the areas that have more leasing/outfitters and folks that wont allow hunting at all - the outfitting seems to create the overpopulation problem as they nor their hunters want to shoot the does - so it's a vicious cycle it seems.

My .02 and limited observations anyways.

Back